Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: MP-57 Masterpiece Skyfire Soars Supreme

More photos from that HK exhibition, of Skyfire and various other toys from this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyfire View Post
    I guess I have to get this - he's my namesake . But I'm expecting some disappointment to go along with my elation. I'm glad I bought the MP-52 trio but they were really expensive and, after getting 3 for 3 cracks in the tailfins (and saying to myself, "The next one will be fine"), as well as some minor cosmetic issues, I am almost expecting some love-hate with the MP-57 I receive. Sigh... and yay at the same time!

I collected a bunch of Bandai Origin of Valkyrie Macross toys to fill my 1980s Jetfire hole (good thing I also like Robotech), but it was my Siege toy that really cured the problem. But having MP-57 would be like reaching back in time and patting a sad little boy on the back and saying, "Hey, look what I got you."
    LOL, despite my name, Skyfire is close to my heart, this is a definite Skyfire figure and a brilliant one at that.
    I still function.....................while killing threads. ;-)

Kranix is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I'm a huge Jetfire fan. He is the only second hand Transformer in my collection because I didn't get him as a child and no reissue options obviously. He is one figure I would not sell. I also really liked the Skyfire character from the cartoon. He was a grail MP for me for a long time. However, looking at that picture of Seige version next to the MP, I'm comfortable with my decision to keep Seige Jetfire as my only non MP in my masterpiece collection. Something I never thought I would do! He fits and has the look I personally like. I understand that would not be the case for others of course. Purely a personal thing.

It's an interesting one.

Seeing the two side by side shows that the MP line is increasingly focusing on toon accuracy (although trying to set a "rule" for Masterpiece seems like a fools errand at this point). The face is definitely more 80's cartoon vibe and more solid block colour and shiny finish.

The Siege one is more in line with with what MP10 was promising - the pinnacle hybrid release of realistic vehicle, intuitive transformation, and show-like figure

Going to say it..... MP looks like an upscale kiddy version of seige. Like lego and duplo.

The long awaited Masterpiece, Skyfire, has now been released in Japan this week, and some in-hand images have been posted up already...
    https://news.tfw2005.com/2023/01/28/...-images-474118

The box looks to be a fair bit bigger than MP-44 Optimus version 3, but significantly cheaper. Optimus was 50,000yen, while Skyfire was 38,000yen.

Mag-goddamn-nificent. Hopefully this pays off for TT and they will continue to make some bolder choices in character releases.

The official nett weight on the factory carton says 4.11kg for 2 pieces, so one weighs just over 2kg. It's something to bear in mind when buying from overseas. It makes the Popcultcha price pretty good when they have their occasional 20% off action figures sales as shipping is free, but the release date is May and you would have to wait until a sale comes around once it's in stock (fortunately their MPs tend to shelfwarm).

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    The box looks to be a fair bit bigger than MP-44 Optimus version 3, but significantly cheaper. Optimus was 50,000yen, while Skyfire was 38,000yen.
    The figure looks much simpler than MP-44 though, so it would have a lower parts count overall. I also note it does not have as many accessories as MP-44 had.
    We saw too that the Skids mould was cheaper than previous MP cars due to being simpler in engineering - it was half the price of Hound for instance. I'm glad that Takara have gone in this direction though.