Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: MP-57 Masterpiece Skyfire Soars Supreme

Default MP-57 Masterpiece Skyfire Soars Supreme

TakaraTOMY have released a teaser image for MP Skyfire:
    https://twitter.com/TF_pr/status/1532195302895067137

Speculation: While they haven't revealed the name of the toy, it should be called "Skyfire," not Jetfire, because Jetfire was never called 'Jetfire' in Japan, only Skyfire. The original Jetfire toy was never released in Japan (for obvious reasons); and so the character only existed in the cartoon series in Japan, where he was called "Skyfire." Until the recent brand unification thing, G1 Jetfire has been consistently called "Skyfire" in Japan (e.g. Henkei Skyfire etc.). Masterpiece is a line that appears to be exempt from the brand unification rule; as TakaraTOMY continues to use the Japanese G1 names instead of Anglophone names (e.g. MP Convoy, Bumble etc.); so I would expect that this toy will be called "Skyfire." This will make it the first Transformer toy to be directly modelled after the G1 Skyfire cartoon model and bear the name "Skyfire." Not a Jetfire/Skyfire hybrid like Classics/Henkei or T30, and not called "Jetfire" like Siege.

I can't see much demand for a massively expensive MP Skyfire/Jetfire because of both the decline in the MP line and the already amazing Commander Class Jetfire.
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    I can't see much demand for a massively expensive MP Skyfire/Jetfire because of both the decline in the MP line and the already amazing Commander Class Jetfire.
    In what ways is the Takara MP line declining, in your view? Is it their design, QC, price?

I might get this since I didn't get the Siege one and, side by side, this MP is much more Sunbow accurate than Siege Jetfire in design and bot mode scale.

I just hope it doesn't include stupid electronic gimmicks like MP-44 and MP-36 did, which i don't think any MP collector wants.

Quote Originally Posted by High_Q View Post
    I just hope it doesn't include stupid electronic gimmicks like MP-44 and MP-36 did, which i don't think any MP collector wants.
    Those sound gimmicks are surprisingly unobtrusive though.

I guess I have to get this - he's my namesake . But I'm expecting some disappointment to go along with my elation. I'm glad I bought the MP-52 trio but they were really expensive and, after getting 3 for 3 cracks in the tailfins (and saying to myself, "The next one will be fine"), as well as some minor cosmetic issues, I am almost expecting some love-hate with the MP-57 I receive. Sigh... and yay at the same time!

I collected a bunch of Bandai Origin of Valkyrie Macross toys to fill my 1980s Jetfire hole (good thing I also like Robotech), but it was my Siege toy that really cured the problem. But having MP-57 would be like reaching back in time and patting a sad little boy on the back and saying, "Hey, look what I got you."

Quote Originally Posted by High_Q View Post
    Is it their design, QC, price?
    Yes, overly complex design, poor QC and insane prices. Also, their popularity seems to have dropped over the years. A decade ago people on the TF forums seemed much more into MP figures.
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    Also, their popularity seems to have dropped over the years. A decade ago people on the TF forums seemed much more into MP figures.
    I'm noticing less sooking lately with things like Skids and Trailbreaker which means less chatter overall. Don't know if that means the popularity has dropped.
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

Probably opening a can of worms here but how much does TT actually care about the English forums chatter? I mean their marketing and products aren?t exactly prioritising Western audiences. For all I know the Japanese / Asian fans are crying puy for a Skyfire/Jetfire.

It?s a TT Mall exclusive. I don?t understand the reasoning behind that.

Official Takara Tomy Twitter and Taraktomymall have the first official images in bot, alt and 'GERWALK' modes. Nice detailed (articulated??) minifigs of OP, Jazz and Wheeljack.

Yay! No battery operated gimmicks. 38,500Y.
    Last edited by High_Q; 3rd June 2022 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Punctuation