0 0%
  • Only if something else (specify)

0 0%
  • No

0 0%
  • Not even interested

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toy Review - SLUDGE (Studio Series 86)

Will Hasbro make and release a SS86 Snarl? He's barely in the movie and isn't in any of the major Dinobot team scenes...

KELPIE is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I don't care if the others are released in other lines, as long as they get done. CHUG is already a massively mixed melting pot anyway.
    Spoken like a true box opener!! :P

Another great G1 dinobot in the Studio Series 86 line. Once again, I love his chunky and impressive presence. The SS86 dinobots are going to be the definitive G1 dinobot set.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Someone came up with a fix for the loose detented joints in the hips: https://www.reddit.com/r/transformer...loose_leg_fix/
    My forward/back hips are ok and sideways hips a bit weak, but like in this knee fix video, the knees are weak and he will fall back if he leans back (standing up straight is ok though). The problem is the same as the hips - the same rectangular ratcheting piece needs reinforcing inside of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bemblebuu View Post
    Will Hasbro make and release a SS86 Snarl? He's barely in the movie and isn't in any of the major Dinobot team scenes...
    He's coming as seen listed in a Walmart computer recently. And since Swoop was rumoured a while ago to be coming too, I think we are covered.
    Last edited by Skyfire; 7th July 2022 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Typo

The knee joints were very loose on my Sludge (fixable with screw tightening), and the hips are looser than I'd like too. This is my first Sludge figure ever though, so I'm well chuffed with him, despite the flaws.

Nice to have a suitably chunky mainline Dinobot release, and I can't wait for Swoop and Snarl.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyfire View Post

My forward/back hips are ok and sideways hips a bit weak, but like in this knee fix video, the knees are weak and he will fall back if he leans back (standing up straight is ok though). The problem is the same as the hips - the same rectangular ratcheting piece needs reinforcing inside of it.
    I don't think this is a good fix for the long run. The rectangular ratcheting piece is supposed to flex and give a bit to engage the ratchet gear. If you make it too rigid by inserting a filler the actual ratchet teeth might get worn down very quickly.

Good point about possibly wearing down the ratchet nub. Instead, others have reshapened the rectangular part by pushing it more open and using heat to set it. Also, instead of a hard insert, foam might be used as a reinforcer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A01M1WjQWyM

Quote Originally Posted by doublespy View Post
    I don't think this is a good fix for the long run. The rectangular ratcheting piece is supposed to flex and give a bit to engage the ratchet gear. If you make it too rigid by inserting a filler the actual ratchet teeth might get worn down very quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyfire View Post
    Good point about possibly wearing down the ratchet nub. Instead, others have reshapened the rectangular part by pushing it more open and using heat to set it. Also, instead of a hard insert, foam might be used as a reinforcer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A01M1WjQWyM
    I got my figure yesterday. Fortunately, the right knee was the only joint that was loose, and it wasn't as loose as some units I've read about, so I was about to do the cotton bud fix. However, after reading doublespy's comment, I decided to shave down the cotton bud stem (it was a paper stem, so I took off a few layers) so that the rectangle isn't totally filled and hopefully still has some flex in it so the ridge/pawl won't get worn out.

I like the idea of using foam instead of a rigid substance inside the rectangle to give some rigidity and retain the springing motion the piece was probably meant to have.

The robot wings formed by the dinosaur ribcage are loose, which is annoying, but at least it's not a functional problem like the hips and knees.

Aside from these issues, Sludge is a nice piece. The lack of true foot articulation is a hindrance to positioning the legs, but you can disconnect the front of the foot to simulate up-down/flexion-extension movement, which helps.