Thread: Button cell batteries - new safety and information standards

Default Button cell batteries - new safety and information standards

Mods, please move this topic if it's in the wrong place.

Yesterday, I became aware of new safety regulations regarding button cell batteries, as well as products that use them, via a post on Reddit.

Product Safety Australia's page on the new standards: https://www.productsafety.gov.au/pro...coin-batteries

A look at the ACCC website this morning yielded this media release: https://www.accc.gov.au/media-releas...-laws-commence

Collectors of 1:6 figures are concerned, as numerous Hot Toys products use button cells, and although the button cells are secured in Hot Toys products, these figures may not pass the new regulations.

What does this mean for Transformers? Presumably, Hasbro's products would be compliant, however, these new regulations could have ramifications for Threezero's DLX Transformers figures, as well as new Masterpieces that incorporate electronics and are powered by button cells.

Popcultcha has already tagged in-stock non-compliant products as being for international sales only, including their Threezero Transformers.

Interestingly, a bill to similar effect has been introduced into the US Congress: https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-...nate-bill/3278

I guess my SD Optimus Prime, which needed a bazillion button battery, will never light up again. Oh well, they were too expensive for my liking anyway.
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.

Other is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

You can still buy the batteries, they just need to come in child proof packaging now. The bigger issue will be with products that come with them

It seems the concern is focused on whether the batteries inside the product can be easily accessed. If a product's battery compartment is secured with screws and requires a screwdriver to open, isn't that sufficiently child proof? Even toys from the 1990s had screw-secured battery compartments for button cells.

From the ACCC link...

Under the new standards products must have secure battery compartments to prevent children accessing the batteries. Button batteries must be supplied in child-resistant packaging. Products and batteries must have additional warnings and emergency advice on the batteries, packaging and instructions. Suppliers must also ensure products have been compliance tested.

All levels of the supply chain are legally required to comply with the mandatory standards and the ACCC will be working with state and territory regulators to monitor compliance and take enforcement action when necessary.

“Inspectors will be out looking for unsafe products both online and in stores such as discount retailers, variety shops, major retailers, pharmacies, newsagents and at large events,” Ms Rickard said.
    I think Hasbro/TakaraTomy Transformers should be fine, as they have been securing battery compartments with screws for a long time now. And I think they have always had screws for the button cell batteries (the bigger batteries haven't always had the compartment screwed down).
    We might just see some extra information included in the packaging for emergency advice.
    Considering these laws were passed 18 months ago and June 22nd was when they were fully in force, Hasbro would have instigated necessary changes by now.

Quote Originally Posted by kovert View Post
    It seems the concern is focused on whether the batteries inside the product can be easily accessed. If a product's battery compartment is secured with screws and requires a screwdriver to open, isn't that sufficiently child proof? Even toys from the 1990s had screw-secured battery compartments for button cells.
    Yes, that's what the Safety Standard for products containing button batteries says. In particular, Part 2, Division 2 says:

8 Button/coin batteries must not release during reasonably foreseeable use or misuse conditions

(1) If consumer goods contain a button/coin battery (whether or not the battery is intended to be replaceable), the battery in the consumer goods must not release during reasonably foreseeable use or misuse conditions.

9 Compartment holding button/coin batteries must be resistant to being opened by young children

(1) If consumer goods contain a button/coin battery that is intended to be replaceable by a consumer, the compartment in which the battery is held must be designed to ensure the compartment is resistant to being opened by young children.

10 Fasteners for doors or covers to compartments holding button/coin batteries must be captive etc.

(1) This section applies to consumer goods containing a button/coin battery if:

(a) the battery is held in a compartment in the consumer goods; and

(b) the door or cover providing access to the compartment is secured by screws or similar fasteners; and

(2) The consumer goods must be designed to ensure the screws or similar fasteners used to secure the door or cover providing access to the compartment are captive and remain with the door or cover.
    Hot Toys collectors are concerned because the battery compartments on those figures aren't compliant - it seems that the particular issue is that the screws may not be captive.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    I think Hasbro/TakaraTomy Transformers should be fine, as they have been securing battery compartments with screws for a long time now. And I think they have always had screws for the button cell batteries (the bigger batteries haven't always had the compartment screwed down).
    We might just see some extra information included in the packaging for emergency advice.
    Considering these laws were passed 18 months ago and June 22nd was when they were fully in force, Hasbro would have instigated necessary changes by now.
    I just took a look at my MP-44, which would be representative of the kind of button cell-powered product us collectors would be buying, and its battery compartment is secured with a screw that also has a little plastic washer around the thread that's inside the battery cover, so I guess that's captive?

Also, the Information Standard requires that products that use button cells have visible warnings on the instructions and the front of the packaging:

8 Consumer goods with button/coin batteries—general requirement for warning

(1) This section applies in relation to consumer goods containing a button/coin battery unless section 9 applies to the consumer goods.

Consumer goods with accompanying instructions

(2) If the consumer goods are accompanied by instructions, the instructions must include a warning about the battery that is clearly visible, prominent and legible and includes the substance of all the matters covered by subsection (7).

Packaged consumer goods

(3) If the consumer goods are packaged, the front panel of the packaging must be marked with an internationally recognised safety alert symbol that is clearly visible, prominent and legible.

(4) If the consumer goods are packaged and are not accompanied by instructions, a warning about the battery that includes the substance of all the matters covered by subsection (7) must be attached to, or included with, the consumer goods.

Unpackaged consumer goods

(5) If the consumer goods are not packaged, a warning about the battery must be attached to the consumer goods that includes the substance of all the matters covered by subsection (7).

(6) For the purposes of subsections (4) and (5), a warning may be attached by:

(a) affixing a sticker with the warning to the goods; or

(b) attaching a tag with the warning to the goods.
    I suppose an importer could put a sticker on the box for something like a Masterpiece and hopefully that would suffice.