• Only if cheap

0 0%
  • Only if something else (specify)

1 14.29%
  • No

1 14.29%
  • Not even interested

1 14.29%

Thread: Toy Review - OPTIMUS PRIME (Lego)

Default Toy Review - OPTIMUS PRIME (Lego)

OPTIMUS PRIME
    Series - Lego
    Sub-line - Creator Expert
    Size/class - N/A
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Wave - N/A
    Released here - Online exclusive?
    Approximate Retail Price - $260
    Approximate Size - 35cm
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode - Cab over engine tractor-trailer truck
    Main Features/Gimmicks - 1,509 Lego pieces. Assembly required.
    Main Colours - red, blue, grey
    Main Accessories - rifle, Matrix, axe, placard, Energon cube, Sideswipe's rocket pack

I will confess that I am not a Lego collector, and as such, I'm likely seeing this toy from a different perspective compared to someone who is more of an actual fan of Lego. With 1.5k pieces, this sucker takes quite some time to assemble. Took me 12 hours in total; but more experienced Lego builders might be able to do it in less time. The pieces are packed in 10 marked plastic bags, and thankfully construction does go in bag number order. i.e. assemble parts from Bag 1, then Bag 2 etc.; this is so much better than some of those other Lego sets that get you to go back and forth between bags to build the set. So I am grateful that assembly went in bag order.

Once assembled, you will need to be reeeaaally careful in handling this toy, as it falls apart super easily. I recommend holding the robot from both legs with both hands. Even when super slowly and cautious transforming this toy, I've had it come apart with pieces falling off. Both during and after assembly there were times when half of the toy would come apart and it would shatter into itty bitty bricks on the floor, requiring me to painstakingly reassemble it. Perhaps total build time might have been 11 hours without reassembly. The knees can swivel side to side, but cannot bend. Otherwise I guess it has a reasonable range of articulation, but the lack of proper knee articulation and the sheer fragility of the toy really makes putting this toy in dynamic poses impractical. So it's basically... well... a brick. The truck mode has numerous gaps and the panels don't all sit flush; but considering that this is a Lego toy that can transform without reassembly, I think it's easily forgivable. Well, doesn't require reassembly in theory... in reality you will need to reassemble parts because it comes apart so damn easily. Unfortunately, the Matrix chamber inside the chest means that you can't put Lego people inside (though I suppose clever enough customisers could make it so).

OVERALL

Not a terribly fun Lego toy to play with. It's really just a really expensive display piece. And I get that Lego is expensive, especially the high end collector stuff. This is the first adult collectable Lego thing I've ever owned, and it's very different from the more fun and playable Lego sets that I built as a kid or that I played with my daughter. Any toy that has lower play value will always have a lower rating to me, as the core purpose of a toy is to be fun to play with; and this Lego Optimus Prime just does not leg godt*.

Again, this is all in my opinion as someone who is admittedly just a casual enthusiast of Lego, and by no means a fanatic. As such, I would only recommend this toy for actual fans of Lego and Transformers who would enjoy the experience of building this set and not be put off by its fragility or lack of playability.

-----------------------------
    *"leg godt" - Danish for "play well," and the meaning of the name "Lego."

It took me about 3-4 hours to put the bot together. Didn't time the accessories, but I doubt they took me another eight hours.
    As far as fragility goes, yes it's Lego and not really meant for heavy play like your CHUG toys, it's more like an MP. I have had a few pieces pop off on me - most notably the panels on the feet - but nothing that doesn't pop back on in two seconds. I have noticed the torso tends to move apart if you pick it up by the top, but because there is that rod piece in there it will slowly split rather than suddenly so you have a chance to correct it. I've just learned to pick it up with hand support underneath so it doesn't begin splitting.
    Personally, I don't really care for the accessories, I could have done without most of them aside from the gun and matrix and have a lower price point. Otherwise, it's not a terrible first entry to the Lego transformers line. The transformation was more complex than I expected it would be, but that said it's still a Prime and it's Lego so nothing mindblowing here.
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

I collect a stack of Lego and a stack of Transformers, so this was a really interesting experience seeing this all come together. I still can't believe this thing exists!

What was also interesting for me was this was the first time I've modded a Lego set while in the middle of putting it together - I was just really keen to see if I could get some workable knees in there!

I agree with Lego's choice to not include knees by default though, as he's a chunky boy and being Lego it's a bit of a thing when he topples over on the shelf. Here's some WIP shots that show the little stabilising piece I put in the back of the knee so that it can lock in to place when not bending. The ratchet joint is plenty strong enough, and still allows for rotation when straight.

KELPIE is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

So can we confirm now if there are/aren't any unique lego pieces with this set?

I'm still on the fence with this guy. Aesthetically he's not good enough as a display piece and I'm not a fan of lego... so I'm probably leaning towards no. That said, the box is nice, so maybe a MISB thing?

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Not a terribly fun Lego toy to play with.
    By play with, do you mean as an action figure, or to build? Because I'm pretty sure most of the Lego "play", is the building aspect? However if you mean it's not fun to build, then that's interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by KELPIE View Post
    By play with, do you mean as an action figure, or to build? Because I'm pretty sure most of the Lego "play", is the building aspect? However if you mean it's not fun to build, then that's interesting.
    I mean play as in playing with like a toy.

This toy makes me feel more like President Business, and the tendency for the toy to keep coming apart at the waist as made me consider using some Kragle to micromanage this thing in one piece!

I had a crack at assembling this just using my son's extensive collection, but there were a few pieces that he did not have. The hips were an unusual racheting circle, there were some uncommon rod lengths and there were heaps of corner pegs, I think the Lego term for them is a SNOT. It's a really thick assembly too, lots of unseen interior pieces. After a while I just gave up. If I get bored I might start again, but first I would have to collect all the requisite pieces.