View Poll Results: Will Crasher be in your collection?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, she will.

3 75.00%
  • Yes, but only if cheaper.

0 0%
  • Maybe

0 0%
  • I will skip her

0 0%
  • I don't like GoBots

1 25.00%

Thread: Toy Review - Velocitron Crasher (Legacy)

Default Toy Review - Velocitron Crasher (Legacy)

Series - Generations
    Sub-line - Legacy
    Hypo-line - Velocitron Speedia 500 Collection
    Size/class - Deluxe
    New/remould/redeco - Redeco of Kingdom Mirage with Siege Holo Mirage head
    Wave - 2
    Released here - Sep/Oct 2022
    Approximate Retail Price - $35
    Approximate Size - 13cm
    Allegiance - Decepticon
    Sub-Group - Renegade
    Alt-mode - Earth mode race car
    Main Features/Gimmicks - N/A
    Main Colours - black, white and red
    Main Accessories - x2 guns

Apologies for the large image sizes. Imgur hasn't been friendly lately. I will update the images with scaled down image sizes soon

Thoughts
    For the first time ever in the generations toyline, we have a GoBots character!(well technically Road Ranger is the first, but he's based off his G1 Gobots toy, and since apparently Bug Bite isn't the GoBots character, your opinions may vary). She looks very much like the Crasher we all know and love from the GoBots universe, even if some liberties were made due to her using the Mirage mold. While it shares many of the same pros and cons with the original Kingdom Mirage figure, it does fix the issue of the 5 mm port out back, meaning you can slot things into it now.
    If you don't mind the Mirage mold, I recommend picking her up, since it's the best Crasher we're gonna have in a while.
    I'll update this when I'm needing help finding particular figures

I still have the movie line Fracture deluxe that came out over 10 years ago that this looks to be based on. It’s actually one of my favourite figures so will definitely be getting this one too

Quote Originally Posted by Handsprime View Post
    since apparently Bug Bite isn't the GoBots character,
    I regard Gens Selects Bug Bite as a Machine Men character. I know that you are technically correct because official material on GS Bug Bite has failed to mention the Machine Men continuity, but IMO this is an oversight from Hasbro. Or to put it another way, they haven't said that he's not the Machine Men character, amirite? In any case, my WFC Bug Bite, Road Ranger^Semi-Trailer Man and Bayformers Fracture^Porsche Man are all Machine Men in the Gokiverse. Although I am happy to replace Bayformers Porsche Man with Velocitron Porsche Man if I find one in store.

Also happy to see that Hasbro has secured the trademark for the Porsche Man^Crasher name.

Super Machine Men accurate config for Bug Bite

KELPIE is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Looking forward to grabbing it, however I still reckon we'd be better served getting a Backstreet or Tailspin and have them repurposed for Crasher.

Story time...

For those of you who may be too young to remember, the character that we now know as Fracture^Crasher was originally known as Porsche Man in Bandai's 1983 Machine Men toyline. Crasher was an Enemy Robot who was initially released in white. There's also a very rare silver mail-away exclusive variant, of which apparently only 6k were ever made. In 1984, Bandai Australia aligned the names of the Machine Men with their North American Gobots names, thus the 1984 release of Porsche Man was called "Crasher." Crasher was available in both white and black variants, although it was the black variant that became prominent in Gobots media (e.g. cartoon etc.). Machine Men ended after 1987, and in 1991 Tonka was acquired by Hasbro, blah blah blah you all know the rest of the story.

Robot mode

Car mode

As they were originally known as in Australia: Semi-Trailer Man, Bug Bite & Porsche Man

Crasher's electro-stomp

Melee fight

BLOOOOOSH

Thoughts
    As a mostly repaint of Kingdom Mirage, Crasher inherits the same issue of the missile launcher being incapable of attaching to the shoulder. This isn't as much of an issue with Crasher since the original Machine Men character never had a launcher anyway. The G1-accurate Electro Disrupter Mirage head looks kinda weird on Crasher; I would've preferred the regular Mirage head myself. Interestingly enough, this toy uses the silver Bayformers Decepticon logo instead of a purple G1 Decepticon logo; obviously a reference to the 2008 Fracture toy which, even though it was a repaint of Classics Mirage, was sold under the Bayformers toyline.

Quote Originally Posted by KELPIE View Post
    Looking forward to grabbing it, however I still reckon we'd be better served getting a Backstreet or Tailspin and have them repurposed for Crasher.
    Hasbro could make a closer Porsche approximation, as they did with Studio Series 86 Jazz. And this would be fine for Backstreet or Tailspin (although I'd prefer the latter to be a Micromaster), but it could create legal issues for Crasher. Although Hasbro has no issues with using the Machine Men names and characters, TakaraTOMY would, because Machine Robo; the toyline that was predominantly used to create the Machine Men/Gobots, is still owned by Bandai Japan, TakaraTOMY's rival. This is why the eHobby "G1 Gobots" box set had no individual character names on the box, instructions or tech specs bio; it was only published on eHobby's website. Legacy Crasher has elements from both Porsche Man and 2008 Fracture (such as the aforementioned silver insignia); most likely as a way to further insulate TakaraTOMY from potential litigation. Bandai Japan has never even owned the rights to the Gobot names, but Takara chose to err on the side of caution by not publishing them. This toy was originally called Porsche Robo in Japan (by Popy, which was owned by Bandai JP).

This may also be why most of the other Transformers GoBots don't sport their Machine Men colours.
    + Road Ranger is black and orange instead of blue and red; Bug Bite is white instead of yellow (although that does help differentiate him from Bumblebee - notice that Gens Selects Bug Bite isn't a VW)
    + Smallfoot is yellow and red instead of red and blue
    + Pathfinder is blue and yellow instead of dark grey and silver (although these were also Cosmos' prototype colours)
    + Bad Boy is also in Powerglide's prototype grey but with the dark green replaced with blue instead of the dark green on the original Machine Men toy
    + Treds is the only TF Gobot who has similar colours to his Gobots counterpart; dark green instead of light green. Although this was Warpath's prototype colours. It may also help that Gobots Treds is an M1 Abrams tank, whereas eHobby Treds is, like Warpath, a M551A1 Sheridan ARAAV tank.
    I'm just speculating here TBH, but the more different HasTak can make their Gobots from the originals, then the better protected TakaraTOMY is from being legally vulnerable to Bandai.

As far as I can tell, not even Action Toys were able to make a new Porsche Robo toy in their 2016 licensed Machine Robo Revenge of Cronos action figure line. Most likely because Porsche refuses to allow their vehicles to be licensed to any property affiliated with war. But I suspect that Bandai JP still owns the rights to the original Porsche Robo design and likeness, even if they can't make new product from it.

Disclaimer: I'm not a fan of Machine Men/Gobots/Machine Robo, nor an expert on IP laws, so please do correct me if I'm wrong.

KELPIE is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Yeah it's a weird scenario, Hasbro/TakaraTOMY need to be careful with the toy/media likeness of Machine Robo and Bandai need to be careful of any likeness or names of Gobots/Machine Men media.

I'm actually surprised we didn't get a Crasher out of PoP Jazz.