• Only if cheap

1 14.29%
  • Only if something else (specify)

0 0%
  • No

0 0%
  • Not even interested

1 14.29%

Thread: Toy Review - POINTBLANK (Legacy)

Default Toy Review - POINTBLANK (Legacy)

AUTOBOT POINTBLANK
    Series - Generations
    Sub-line - Legacy
    Size/class - Deluxe
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Wave - 3
    Released here - November 2022
    Approximate Retail Price - $45
    Approximate Size - 15cm
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Sub-Group - Targetmaster
    Alt-mode - Cybertronian car
    Main Features/Gimmicks - Targetmaster
    Main Colours - red, blue, black
    Main Accessories - Autobot Peacemaker

Much like Crosshairs, Pointblank is clearly based on how he appeared in the Sunbow cartoon, only even moreso since this is an original mould and not a retooled Siege Ironhide like Crosshairs. There is no separate shield accessory, but the bonnet halves on the forearms resemble built-in shields. While this is fine for the robot mode, there is nothing vaguely resembling the shield/winged engine block on the car mode. The detailing on this toy is quite nice, with some tech details sculpted on the window panel, and even silver paint highlighting the headlight panels; gives this toy a premium look.

Unfortunately there are no wrist swivels. Furthermore, Peacemaker has two 5mm posts; one on the bottom of his gun mode to be held conventionally in Pointblank's fist, and another in the back of the gun mode which looks like it should plug into a 5mm port on the forearm, much like in the Japanese Headmasters anime and manga series... but the hands don't even swivel or fold away; so there is nothing for this post to plug into. There are also not ports in the vehicle mode for this rear post; not unless you want Pointblank holding his gun like a sword, or having it point sideways in car mode. It makes me wonder if HasTak had considered giving this toy a forearm gimmick that would allow Pointblank to plug in like a Japanese Targetmaster, but the gimmick was later abandoned. Incidentally, Universe Cyclonus* has this gimmick with Nightstick, despite the fact that Targetmaster Cyclonus was never released in Japan and never appeared in Japanese canon!

Peacemaker also connects to the car mode via tabs that go into slots on the spoiler instead of using the 5mm post. This means that you can't use other Targetmasters on this toy. Part of the play gimmick with the G1 Targetmasters was that you could swap anyone's gun with someone else's; as they all use 5mm ports. Cross Target On!

There are a few minor nitpicks that detract from this toy's G1-accuracy, but overall this is a very nice toy. The robot is clearly Pointblank and he does come with his Peacemaker Targetmaster; unlike Crosshairs and Spinister etc. who don't come with CHUG versions of their Targetmaster partners (they were sold separately; I could never get Hairsplitter from the Phantomstrike Squad set ). Recommended.

--------------------------
    *Universe Cyclonus review thread: http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showth...verse-Cyclonus

KELPIE is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

The engine block was removeable at one stage, however it was stuck on due to cost reductions. From what we can see, it never had the "shield" wings. Also, the fists could swivel however they were fused again for cost reduction.

These cost reductions were so they could fit in Peacemaker.

Quote Originally Posted by KELPIE View Post
    These cost reductions were so they could fit in Peacemaker.
    Fascinating! Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    It makes me wonder if HasTak had considered giving this toy a forearm gimmick that would allow Pointblank to plug in like a Japanese Targetmaster, but the gimmick was later abandoned.
    They did indeed. I thought the extra plug on Pecmaker odd as well and looking at Mark's intsagram piccies, there was an option for plugging him in the fist.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Chcg6n7O...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I really like the vehicle mode and the TM partner is nice. The robot mode comes out "Ok". I find the arms too hindered to really do anything cool with the gun, but the hollow legs and strangely empty hip area allow for some great movement options. Headsculpt is a win.

Also, is this the first guy to have TM weapon storage in robot mode(that isn't holding the TM as a gun)?

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    Also, is this the first guy to have TM weapon storage in robot mode(that isn't holding the TM as a gun)?
    G1 Pointblank can too, although the connection point is on his sparse, not his back.

Siege Crosshairs can too, although Pinpointer was sold separately from Crosshairs and it's more of an incidental thing, but technically he can too. G1 Scoop can "store" Flintlock and Silencer on his shins, and G1 Quake can "store" any one of his guns on his arm (although I don't know of that also just counts as wielding the weapon as an arm-cannon). I wonder if the 5mm port on Pointblank's back was deliberately designed for weapon stowage or is just a coincidence like Crosshairs etc. Because it's not uncommon these days for TFs to have ports on the back etc. for interaction with modular TFs like Weaponisers, Fossilisers and Evolution.

KELPIE is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

The other figure I got to open this past weekend.

I'm a fan.... however I'm surprised at how the lack of bicep articulation really effects the robot mode for me.

Like, to the point where he's going to spend more time than not as a car :/

Got Pointblank the other week. Will be getting the toyhax stickers for him