0 0%
  • Only if something else (specify)

0 0%
  • No

0 0%
  • Not even interested

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - NEEDLENOSE (Legacy)

Default Toy Review - NEEDLENOSE (Legacy)

NEEDLENOSE
    Series - Generations
    Sub-line - Legacy
    Size/class - Deluxe
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Wave - Four
    Released here - January 2023
    Approximate Retail Prize - $37
    Approximate Size - 16cm to top of back fin, 14.5cm to top of head
    Allegiance - Decepticon
    Sub-Group - Targetmaster
    Human Components - Sunbeam & Zigzag
    Alt-mode - F-16 Falcon jet fighter
    Main Features/Gimmicks - N/A
    Main Colours - grey, blue, purple

An absolutely gorgeous update of Needlenose, as well as allowing fans to finally complete the G1 Decepticon Targetmasters in CHUG (now all we need are Sureshot, Landfill and Quickmix). Toy looks great in both modes and is well articulated in robot mode. The wings can also swing back in robot mode to allow for more backwards movement in the arms, and also visually resembles the wing configuration of the Decepticon Seekers. The transformation has some nice elements shared with Legacy Maximal Leo Prime; although it's more fun on this toy due to the source material (G1 toy) being a far simpler creature than the original Ultra Class Lio Convoy figure.

Coming with both Targetmasters is great, and given that Legacy Pointblank also came with Peacemaker, I really hope that future CHUG Targetmasters will come with all of their Nebulans. My only gripe about this toy is that the 5mm post on Zigzag is a tad thick, and the 5mm port on Sunbeam is a bit soft. Attempting to connect Zigzag caused stress marks on my Sunbeam's port, so I don't recommend this configuration. Sunbeam connects with Zigzag just fine. Zigzag can also connect into Needlenose's fists okay without causing stress marks, likely due to the fists being thicker. But some twisting may be needed to insert Zigzag's post all the way in. The slightly thick post on Zigzag aside, I really cannot find any other fault with this toy and strongly recommend it.

Needlenose even has a detachable aft fin to make it accurate to all of our G1 Needlenose toys with missing fins!
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 8th January 2023 at 05:19 PM.

A really well executed toy. Sure, it's a lesser known G1 character, but they got him right and the engineering all works. Plus they gave him both sidekicks.

Well worth the price of a deluxe. I'm glad I tracked him down.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

Oh wow, that’s an awesome set of comparison photos there Goktimus Prime. It’s actually BIGGER than the original, which I wouldn’t have expected with the trend towards smaller deluxes. I never had the original, but loved the character in the UK comics. I can’t wait till we see it released locally.

Your review has me tempted to pay the impatience tax and eBay him.
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

Quote Originally Posted by reillyd View Post
    Your review has me tempted to pay the impatience tax and eBay him.
    Big Kid Collectibles has the latest wave of Legacy toys. I don't think the site has been updated yet, but I got my Legacy Lio Convoy and Breakdown from Serene while I was down in Melboure*, and she did tell me that she had Needlenose too (I was already sorted so I didn't get one from her).
    https://bigkidscollectibles.com.au/

(*yes, dirge, I'm hilling this )

Quote Originally Posted by dirge View Post
    A really well executed toy. Sure, it's a lesser known G1 character, but they got him right and the engineering all works. Plus they gave him both sidekicks.

Well worth the price of a deluxe. I'm glad I tracked him down.
    Agreed. I've handed this toy in person and the transformation is really smooth and intuitive. It's also great that they managed to work in the targetmasters within budget.
    I have zero interest in Needlenose as a character or owning him, but I can appreciate this was really well executed. If they retool/repaint this into someone else I'm after I won't hesitate to buy it.

KELPIE is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

This guy looks fantastic!!

That head sculpt, phwoar. You can tell this character is a personal favourite of the designers.

I'm not a fan of remoulds/colours, however with some slight tweaks here I can see a Windsweeper pretty easily.

I'd never heard of BigKids Gok, looks like they have some stuff imported there that not many local suppliers have bothered with. Cartoon coloured Gung Ho, Creatures Collide (sold out)... I'll have to keep an eye on them. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Main Features/Gimmicks - N/A
    TBC!

Quote Originally Posted by KELPIE View Post
    TBC!
    Well okay, the Double Targetmaster thing is really this toy's core gimmick.

KELPIE is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Well okay, the Double Targetmaster thing is really this toy's core gimmick.
    Aaaandd..... More...?

"There's a lot more than meets the eye about this mold, shhh. Soon more secret abilities will be featured either here or on our next livestream."

Man Needlenose looks great! AS a kid, NN was my Starscream/Leader of the Decepticons stand in and I've always loved the guy. My main concern if/when he got the reissue was if the TMs were gonns be included and I am happy to see them, as well as happy to see them being so distinct. The effort required to get Spiniters 'officia' TM buddies was not worth the effort required, especially since they were just recolours of the big boys' TM pals.

Does Zig Zag have his moulded sword and shield in hand?

I think the extra detail adds a lot to the TNS as well. Sunbeam has little holes on the bottom of his feet that weren't on the original. It improves the look of the gun mode considerably!

Got this guy delivered today. He’s one of the most perfectly average and safe Transformers I’ve seen in a while. He doesn’t do anything amazing, but he does exactly what he sets out to do - an update of G1 Needlenose, no more no less. Compared to a lot of other G1 updates that sometimes try too hard to do something different or novel, I think I prefer this.

Transformation was cooler than it needed to be, and I appreciate how snuggly everything went together.

If I had to pick one quibble, it would be that stylistically he doesn’t quite fit with the recent Quake and Spinister, especially in vehicle modes. The cockpits are the big disconnect here, with two featuring detailed clear plastics, while Needlenose has a big red blob. I don’t prefer one or the other, but consistency would be good. There’s also an overall detailing shift across TR, WFC, and Legacy. Still nice to have all 3 anyway.

It wouldn’t be too hard to imagine Hasbro taking another swing at Quake, but I reckon another Spinister would be a while away.