1 16.67%
  • Only if something else (specify)

0 0%
  • No

0 0%
  • Not even interested

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - TRAILBREAKER (Masterpiece)

Default Toy Review - TRAILBREAKER (Masterpiece)

TRAILBLAZER
    Series - Masterpiece
    Size/class - N/A
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Wave - MP-56
    Released here - N/A (Japan, late December 2022)
    Approximate Retail Price - 21780JPY ($240)
    Approximate Size - 21.5cm
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode - Toyota HiLux 4WD
    Main Features/Gimmicks - interchangeable faces & hands
    Main Colours - dark grey, light grey
    Main Accessories - x3 faces, x1 parabolic antenna, x2 hands, x1 single barrel gun, x1 multi-nozzle gun, x1 chrome grill, x1 non-chrome grill, x1 blast effect, x1 sticker sheet

Robot mode, front and back

L: w/ both hands, smiling face
    R: w/ single barrel extendable gun, shouting face

Shouting face with blast effect

Multi-nozzle and single barrel guns

Blast effect in multi-nozzle gun

Force field

Open bonnet with engine revealed, grill removed. Note that the wing mirrors fold into the bonnet section, similar to MP Skids

Non-chrome grill attached

Chrome grill attached

Parabolic antenna

Comparison with G1

A rather complex and fiddly transformation, especially the backpack. Somewhat reminiscent of MP Sunstreaker in that regard, which can be a good or bad thing depending on how you feel about MP Sunstreaker. The way that the rear wheels tuck inside the lower legs reminds me of MP Hound, only that it's done more elegantly here. MP Trailbreaker really goes back to that MP Inferno to Sunstreaker style of MP toys that are aim to be slavishly accurate to the Sunbow cartoon. Just like those other MPs, Trailbreaker here looks like he jumped out of your TV screen and became a real boy^toy. The metallic blue eye visor is a nice touch as it helps make it pop against the dark grey head and face.

I personally prefer MPs to be more of a mix between toy and cartoon aesthetics (which is what I loved about MP Skids); but it seems that TakaraTOMY are swinging back hard towards the cartoon likeness end of the scale with Trailbreaker. Or possibly Takara had the MP Hiluxes already in some development around the time of MP Sunstreaker (as there were Takara staff interviews around that time indicated that they've been wanting to do the Hiluxes for some time now). Overall an excellent figure that is on par with the likes of MP Inferno, Grapple, Sunstreaker etc. If having MP toys that look like the cartoon incarnate in plastic is your jam, then I would highly recommend this figure.

It will also be interesting to see what other decos TakaraTOMY can milk from this mould; perhaps a toy-accurate plus version and possibly other Diaclone decos with toy-accurate heads (as we've seen on toys like MP Cordon, Spin-Out, Reboost, Dia Burnout etc.).
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 25th February 2023 at 04:11 PM.

KELPIE is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

He looks fantastic, and while there is a slavish nature to the toon, there is also a slavish nature to the Hilux.

I would have rather a slightly more deformed aesthetic for the alt mode. Like we saw with Bee, those deformed alt modes are where it's at.

Quote Originally Posted by KELPIE View Post
    He looks fantastic, and while there is a slavish nature to the toon, there is also a slavish nature to the Hilux.

I would have rather a slightly more deformed aesthetic for the alt mode. Like we saw with Bee, those deformed alt modes are where it's at.
    I suspect the vehicle accurate proportions may be due to the licensing from Toyota. The first MP21 had an undeformed VW Beetle Type 1 alt mode, and even had to have the VW logos on things like the hubcaps etc. I guess they worked out a deal with VW for MP45. And we know that MP Sunstreaker had to have a workaround that prevented the bonnet from splitting during transformation, as well as engineering the car mode to transform between both the standard Countach vs the Super Tuning Countach; and the toy (including Cordon and Spin-Out) had to be packaged in the standard Countach configuration. This would have been all at Lamborghini's insistence.

I'm surprised that Toyota allowed this cartoony grey colour to be used on the vehicle instead of black. Does the HiLux come in this shade of grey? (I honestly don't know) - if not, I suspect that TakaraTOMY would've negotiated for the cartoon grey over vehicle proportions. It's probably an easier thing to persuade vehicle companies for over changing the actual shape of their vehicles. They would've done something similar with Corvette to allow MP Tracks to be made in blue. The compromise that Takara had to make with BT Tracks was to initially release the toy in yellow, then later in blue (as blue is not a factory standard colour for Corvettes, as I understand it).

Kranix is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

That's strange, blue was certainly a colour available on the C5 Corvette (which is what model the BT Tracks was). Rare but available. The shade was quite similar. Blue was also available on the C3 Corvette which G1 Tracks was based on. Shade difference though, from memory.

I don't mind the new MP Trailbreaker, even though I'm a hybrid MP fan. I think he has come out well, except I'm not a fan of the grey colour. I think with a few more details, a straight black paint job like the toy and the chrome to offset that, he would look great.

Quote Originally Posted by Kranix View Post
    That's strange, blue was certainly a colour available on the C5 Corvette (which is what model the BT Tracks was). Rare but available. The shade was quite similar. Blue was also available on the C3 Corvette which G1 Tracks was based on. Shade difference though, from memory.
    Hhhmmm... perhaps Corvette just wanted to promote the yellow variant before the blue. Similar to how part of Mazda's licensing deal for the use of the RX-8 for BT Jazz was to have the toy released in both red (Zoom-Zoom) and white (Meister) variants.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Hhhmmm... perhaps Corvette just wanted to promote the yellow variant before the blue. Similar to how part of Mazda's licensing deal for the use of the RX-8 for BT Jazz was to have the toy released in both red (Zoom-Zoom) and white (Meister) variants.
    Possible, I vaguely recall that yellow was the "hero" colour for the Z06 top of the line version of the C5.

Quote Originally Posted by Kranix View Post
    Possible, I vaguely recall that yellow was the "hero" colour for the Z06 top of the line version of the C5.
    Hahaha, just as a joke I went and Googled for a yellow Corvette Z06 emergency vehicle...... only to discover that it does exist!

Well played, internet.

Kurdt the Goat was kind enough to do a review and post on my blog of this guy, as I didn't get him, and am exceptionally lazy.

https://tetstoys.blogspot.com/2023/0...ece-mp-56.html

Having a look at all the piccies, this guy seems impressively engineered. He manages to come across extremely lanky though. I am most used to looking at the G1 toy though and can't currently recall the cartoon version too well. If they modify him to do an MP Hoist, I'd be worried he isn(t pudgy enough.

Jellico is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Seems to be a feature of those fold the car in half and naked leg transformers. See Bug Bite, Stacks etc from the GoBots. Third party MP Trailbreakers too, which is interesting. Obviously the first season character models stretched Trailbreaker into more human proportions, but the toy just ends up lanky.