1 10.00%
  • No

0 0%
  • Not even interested

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - TARN

Default Toy Review - TARN

Comic Universe TARN (a.k.a. Damus*, Glitch)
    Series - Generations
    Sub-line - Legacy
    Hypo-line - Evolution
    Size/class - Voyager
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Wave - Four
    Released here - February 2023
    Approximate Retail Prize - $58
    Approximate Size - 16.5cm to top of head, 17cm to tips of back-mounted barrels
    Allegiance - Decepticon
    Sub-Group - Justice Division
    Alt-mode - Cybertronian tank
    Main Features/Gimmicks - Evo-Fusion compatibility with ancillary modular figures
    Main Colours - gunmetal grey and purple with grey, clear blood red and gold highlights
    Main accessories - tank turret base, x2 cannons

I'm listening to the Empyrean Suite while typing this review.

Perfect is not a word that I use in my toy reviews... ever, but at a Voyager price point, this is really as good as you can get for a Tarn action figure. The sculpting and colours are absolutely gorgeous with an astoundingly high level of comic-accuracy. He even sports a golden Decepticon insignia, which is accurate to his comic book model. This is really as accurate as you can make a Tarn toy within a Voyager budget and have it be a functional and fun toy. It's just ticking all sorts of boxes; Mark Maher and Ōnishi Yūya have really poured in a tonne of passion into designing this toy... you can really see and feel the fan dedication here.

Flame Toys' Tarn does have a more comic-accurate robot mode, but of course, that toy is much more expensive and doesn't transform. For a relatively cheap mainline transformable action figure, this is a really spot-on Tarn toy. Highly recommended and then some.

----------------------------
    *Damus is the Latinised spelling of "dame," which means "woman." Obviously in English we still refer to any knighted woman as "Dame" (just as a knighted male is "Sir").

I just ordered this tonight and can't wait for it to get here. The only complaint I've seen people consistently levy is that the hands are oddly positioned in tank mode.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkyMcShark View Post
    I just ordered this tonight and can't wait for it to get here. The only complaint I've seen people consistently levy is that the hands are oddly positioned in tank mode.
    I doubt people are displaying their figures from the rear. If I had him in tank mode on a shelf I wouldn't even notice the hands.

If exposed rear hands are the worst thing people can say about it, then it's doing alright.
    I have no interest in getting this toy, but as someone who is familiar with the character design I can see that it's been extremely well executed. IDW fans should be stoked.

The hands can't swing or slide in because of the way that the arm panels need room for the hinges as they swing across from one side to the other. Sure, it is technically a flaw, but not an unforgivable one IMO. And yeah, as Deano85 said, at least it's at the back where most people don't normally look.

The Gamesmen got some more Tarns back in stock

https://www.gamesmen.com.au/transfor...-universe-tarn

Tarn looking to take down some Autobots

Mine arrived a few days ago.

I really like it.

Robot mode is very characterful - paint is on point and it has killer proportions. I really like the various play options that the weapons afford as well (shoulder cannons, arm cannons, handguns).

Transformation is interesting. I really like the use of smaller slider joints to compress/expand a figure (also used on Velocitron Override). For the fact that the legs don't actually do anything other than fold over the back of the robot, it feels involved.

Vehicle mode is also pretty good. Compact certainly, but great looking.

My only gripe is that mine has some joints that are slightly loose. Nothing is floppy, but the back and forward hip joints, and the mid-bicep transformation hinge are on the loose side. The whole figure is held together with pins so I can't unscrew anything to tight the joints, unfortunately.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Alt mode reminds me of those connector space vehicle toys.

Nice to have something different

He's a nice looking robot, and he stands out as something different in this G1-heavy era. Something not quite "Transformer" like about him?

Gave up trying to get him to tank mode, chest fell off and could not make sense of what the instructions were trying to say about how to make the arms work.

But his robot mode is the reason to have the figure so ok.