Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missing Heads

Default Missing Heads

I've been noticing recently in stores that some Transformers are missing their ball-jointed heads since the new packaging came along. I take them to check-out to report but, beyond that, I'm wondering what the solution could be for the manufacturers or sellers. I have a few suggestions, some serious, some silly, but am wondering what others think...

I too have seen this with the open packaging - Target, Big W and Kmart, and rarely Myer or Toymate. I imagine Hasbro and retailers have factored in shop spoilage into their prices. And the gains of plastic-free windows, from their perspective, outweigh the cost. But we literally pay for others' bad behaviour.

I have seen that and a Spiderman with a knob head as well at K-Mart the other day.

Speaking of Spider-Man remember all those headless Vulture toys that used to be everywhere.

I think Hasbro have said that with Transformers the retailers want the toys visible, but it wouldn't surprise me if eventually they went in to fully enclosed boxes - like the Generations Select toys (and other Hasbro toys: Marvel Legends, Thor Love and Thunder, Dungeons and Dragons, Indiana Jones)

What does the Japanese packaging for the Legacy toys do? Does anybody buy the Japanese versions anymore now the difference is just the box?

I was looking at some of those Gen Selects today in J B Hi-Fi and that solution dawned on me. The full box artwork is pretty evocative but I agree with retailers that toys are more appealing seen in the flesh. Maybe that is partly nostalgia on my part - I feel that too much is mediated today by screens and there is something in the immediacy of what you can see right in front of you.

Another solution would be to package Transformers in alt-modes that generally hold all those body parts in. Part of the appeal always was discovering the robot inside your toy.

Yet another is replacing ball-and-socket necks with some other sort of joint, but I expect that would alter the all-important articulation or price.

Or maybe each wave of every separate toyline could include a pack of 'spare heads and guns' just in case you need more.

And now I start to get silly - HasLab are a laboratory right? Get them to develop truly transparent yet sturdy cardstock for the windows.

And from silly to simply wishful thinking - we could always instil in kids (or whomever is nicking those heads) some damned ethics.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Yet another is replacing ball-and-socket necks with some other sort of joint, but I expect that would alter the all-important articulation or price.
    That one just might happen. In 2021 Hasbro applied for a "anti-theft" patent so that future toys will be designed in a way that locks the body/core into the packaging. But I could also see them redesigning elements like neck joints that are exposed in the box as well to make them less prone to tampering.

https://news.tfw2005.com/2021/11/28/...-patent-445708

There have been a few times when I have found headless Transformers, but in most cases I find that the heads have just been pushed down. But yeah, I have come across a few which had the heads entirely removed. I think the simplest solution is just to have a completely enclosed box with more artwork and photos around. We already have it with the Legacy Leader Class toys and TakaraTOMY's Masterpiece toys have always been in enclosed boxen. Commander and Titan Classes have also all always been boxed.

AFAIK shifting to fully enclosed boxen hasn't dampened the sales of Leader Class Legacy toys. Galvatron's a bit of a slow seller because he's essentially a package refresh of Kingdom Galvatron. Legacy Laser OP, TM2 Megatron, Scourge and even Blitzwing that a lot of people whinge about, all seem to be strong sellers. I think that shifting to enclosed boxed Voyagers, Deluxes etc. shouldn't be a problem. Another issue with the open windowless boxen is that parts can accidentally fall out. I believe Tha_Phantom's Studio Series TLK Hot Rod came with Crosshairs' spoiler; likely having fallen out of a Crosshairs box and falling into Hot Rod's while in the assortment case during transit or something.

Fully enclosed boxes are something that isn't as commonly found with Hasbro TFs, but Takara's been doing it since 1985.

That anti-theft thing seems clever but I'm wondering if it would hamper the design of already complex machines (in the case of Transformers).

I do recall that even the bigger toys would sometimes have a flap on the front to provide both lots of imagery and a view of the toy itself. But I'm sure this is just "what I'm accustomed to" influencing my expectations. Move onto closed boxes and soon we will be fine with the change.

Something I now remember is that sometimes the head is not missing, it's just rattling around loose in the box, so worth giving them a shake.

KELPIE is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I'm yet to see a headless figure, however I wholeheartedly support a fully enclosed box with wonderful artwork.

Quote Originally Posted by KELPIE View Post
    I'm yet to see a headless figure, however I wholeheartedly support a fully enclosed box with wonderful artwork.
    FWIW I've recently discussed this with a Hasbro rep. I told her that there are reports of toys with heads removed and missing accessories. Heck, one of my Rise of the Beasts Airazor's weapons had been dislodged in the packaging; luckily it hadn't fallen out. And this wasn't due to any malicious acts, sometimes things get loose, but having an open window means that that thing can fall out.

I told the Hasbro rep that having a fully enclosed box would be a better way forwards, and pointed out how collectors are already used to this now with Leaders, Commanders, Titans, MPs etc. already all coming in windowless boxes. Heck, even the EarthSpark Tacticons are in windowless boxes.