1 12.50%
  • Only if something else (specify)

2 25.00%
  • No

0 0%
  • Not even interested

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - SKYFIRE (Masterpiece)

Default Toy Review - SKYFIRE (Masterpiece)

JETFIRE
    Series - Masterpiece
    Size/class - N/A
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Wave - MP-57
    Released here - N/A (Japan, late January 2023, TakaraTOMY Mall exclusive)
    Approximate Retail Price - 38500JPY ($420)
    Approximate Size - 35cm
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode - Cybertronian Superjet
    Main Features/Gimmicks - interchangeable faces & chest insignium plates
    Main Colours - white and red with blue and gunmetal grey accents
    Main Accessories - x3 faces, x1 rifle, x1 three piece flight stand, x1 flight stand clip, x3 mini figurines, x2 blast effects

PICTURES

Superjet Mode

Respect Mode (yes, that's the official name for this mode )

Robot mode

With mask

Faces

Brainwave monitor

PROS
    + Visually speaking, this is an amazingly cartoon-like depiction of Skyfire from the Sunbow Transformers cartoon. In both robot and jet modes, it really looks like Skyfire flew out of your TV screen and became an actual toy.
    + The massive size also allows Skyfire to scale better with other MPs
    + All knuckles in the hands are articulated.
    + The battle mask attaches via a magnet, so no need to remove the face plate
    + Wings are far more slender and cleaner looking than Siege Jetfire's
    + The ability for the backpack to transform into a two-prong missile pod like the G1 toy is a neat touch.

CONS
    - Parts of the transformation were a pain in the bum. I had a really hard time making the starboard window corner tab in. I also struggled to get the armpit tabs to clip in. Although I did watch several transformation and review videos on YouTube, and none of them seemed to have this problem; so I may have been unlucky with the QC.
    - Faceplates were difficult to remove and often just flew off when I eventually removed them.

COMPARISON WITH SIEGE JETFIRE

I think that Siege Jetfire offers superior value for money. At $420 this is the most expensive toy I've ever bought, and given some of the QC issues on my figure, I feel that Siege Jetire gives me more bang for my buck. MP Skyfire looks amazing, but I still find Siege Jetfire to be a more fun toy to play with.

Both toys are aiming to achieve different outcomes though; with Skyfire's core objective being visual cartoon likeness. And in that regard this toy does spectacularly succeed.

OVERALL
    Recommended only if you're looking to get a Skyfire toy that looks just like the Sunbow cartoon model and scales with other MPs. But otherwise even if other toys don't have the QC issues that mine has, at nearly triple the price of a Commander Class figure before shipping, I would suggest skipping the MP and sticking with Siege Jetfire.

I found that starboard side window corner tricky as well, but had no issues with the armpit tabs. The faces came on easily enough for me, also. In the end I decided I like the "plain" face best anyway.

I agree Siege Skyfire is better value, but this really is a wonderful Skyfire; and as I prefer MP to chug where possible, I'm really happy with this guy.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

In case it wasn't obvious enough from the photos, the "Respect Mode" is basically where the middle part of the upper booster pack retracts as an homage to the missile/booster pods on G1 Jetfire (and the Macross VF-1S Super Valkyrie). The "Gerwalk" mode isn't technically part of that mode; it's just something that the toy can do because Skyfire does have that mode in the cartoon. The mask is also an obvious homage to G1 Jetfire's original face, minus the antennae.

I think the thing that makes the starboard corner hard to tab is getting the slots to line up perfectly. Something which Siege Jetfire doesn't have an issue with because his booster pack doesn't contract/expand during transformation. I understand that it's done to make the backpack look narrower like in the cartoon model, but the trade-off is that you have to get the slots to align perfectly with the tabs. Still, given that the backpack has to contract for cartoon likeness' sake, I do like how they worked in that "Macross booster" homage into it.

The articulated fingers looks amazing, but compromises on grip. I prefer how Siege Jetfire has that retractable 5mm slot, whereas Skyfire just holds his rifle like most other MPs and BTs; via palm slots for tabs on the gun handles, which lends itself to a rather loose/weak grip.

Cat is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

How are the mini figures? I'm really looking forward to them, for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
    To be honest, they're both simple yet very impressive for their size.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

Cat is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I'm liking that, especially the 'very impressive' part.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
    They are comparable to the MP human mini figs

Not surprising considering that they are basically pilot figurines for Skyfire, just as the humans are pilots for their respective MPs.

And this also means that MP Meister now exists!

KELPIE is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

It's on the list to be gifted for Chrissy...

... If it doesn't end up under the tree I'll be happy with Siege. It is a nice looking figure though.

I've had this a couple of weeks but had other distractions. I finally got around to transforming it and it's very impressing. The robot mode has a definite presence about him.

I was having troubles with the back pack. I found most reviewers mistransformed this figure (including Emgo). They don't slide it up all the way. On the sides you shouldn't be able to see the white grill at the bottom. It took me about 4 or 5 videos to find someone who did it right and could show me that I was doing it right, but I just needed some more force. You keep the halves separate, slide the base all the way up and then when you squeeze the halves together there's a solid click on each side.

For anyone interested, check out the video review from "TMReviews".
    Last edited by Butcher31; 20th March 2023 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Butcher31 View Post
    I've had this a couple of weeks but had other distractions. I finally got around to transforming it and it's very impressing. The robot mode has a definite presence about him.

I was having troubles with the back pack. I found most reviewers mistransformed this figure (including Emgo). They don't slide it up all the way. On the sides you shouldn't be able to see the white grill at the bottom. It took me about 4 or 5 videos to find someone who did it right and could show me that I was doing it right, but I just needed some more force. You keep the halves separate, slide the base all the way up and then when you squeeze the halves together there's a solid click on each side.

For anyone interested, check out the video review from "TMReviews".
    Or you know… follow the instructions