1 12.50%
  • Only if something else (specify)

1 12.50%
  • No

0 0%
  • Not even worth it

1 12.50%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - BUMBLEBEE (ROTB Deluxe)

Default Toy Review - BUMBLEBEE (ROTB Deluxe)

BUMBLEBEE
    Series - Generations
    Sub-line - Studio Series
    Hypo-line - Rise of the Beasts
    Size/class - Deluxe
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Wave - 19
    Released here - February 2023
    Approximate Retail Prize - $39.95
    Approximate Size - 12cm
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode - Modified 1977 Camaro
    Main Features/Gimmicks - N/A
    Main Colours - yellow & black
    Main accessories - gun, sword

Note: I've mistransformed the chest in my photos; the headlights should be lifted up from the outside to give the front chest line more of a "V" shape (and also narrowing the width)

Thoughts:
    * shared engineering with other Studio Series Bumblebees (not surprising)
    * uses a noticeably bright shade of canary yellow
    * sword blade and hubcaps are unpainted
    * eyes are quite large, similar to the Bumblebee movie Bumblebee, and painted in a bright shade of baby blue
    * wheels can pop off easily with pressure, but also easy to pop back on

Transformation tips:
    + The tabs on the legs can make them hard to lock in. I recommend squeezing in the upper tabs first, and then tabbing in the lower/rear tabs. Reverse this process when untabbing for conversion to robot mode.
    + Push the outer edges of the headlights as far down as possible to make it easier to tab in the front grill. Do the same to make it easier to untab.

Overall:
    This toy gives the same play value as pretty much any other Studio Series Bumblebee. As such, I would only recommend it if you're looking to complete the set.

I think this figure is a bit more solid than previous studio series BB figures. His more squat shape than his other incarnations gives him some extra needed plastic bulk on his limbs, he also doesn't have the 'arm pops off to replace with is gun arm' gimmick that some of them have had which made them feel extra fragile. What really kills this figure for me is a lack of paint, especially on the face (really needed something around the eyes) and wrist blade which ends up looking like a sharp banana. Other than that it feels like a highly decent studio series BB figure, hopefully it gets the premium finish treatment in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by KingGrimlock View Post
    I think this figure is a bit more solid than previous studio series BB figures. His more squat shape than his other incarnations gives him some extra needed plastic bulk on his limbs, he also doesn't have the 'arm pops off to replace with is gun arm' gimmick that some of them have had which made them feel extra fragile. What really kills this figure for me is a lack of paint, especially on the face (really needed something around the eyes) and wrist blade which ends up looking like a sharp banana. Other than that it feels like a highly decent studio series BB figure, hopefully it gets the premium finish treatment in the future.
    I've already seen someone give him some custom paint and he looks soo much better.

As someone who has owned each Studio Series Bumblebee mould, this is the best one they've done IMO. The plastic is a nice glossy yellow and the joints feel quite tight. Whilst it does feature that same basic Bumblebee template we've seen several times already, they've improved some steps here to make it all feel a bit easier to transform than previous efforts.
    My only two nitpicks would be that the back kibble doesn't lock in place as securely as I'd like and the arm blade is unpainted yellow plastic which just doesn't look right. Otherwise this is my favourite Studio Series Bumblebee to date. Kind of poetic that it's number 100 and came out so great, when number 1 was actually a pretty terrible start to the line. It's good to see that they've learned since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha_Phantom View Post
    Whilst it does feature that same basic Bumblebee template we've seen several times already, they've improved some steps here to make it all feel a bit easier to transform than previous efforts.
    This is true. This Bumblebee doesn't require nearly as much panel massaging or messing around with the canopy to make the side windows sit flush compared to other Bumblebees. It is an easier, more intuitive and fun toy to transform compared to other Studio Series Bumblebees. It doesn't feel as laborious as the others.

My only two nitpicks would be that the back kibble doesn't lock in place as securely as I'd like
    Also true, but on the plus side it does make the back kibble a whole lot easier to flip in and out, especially without risk of popping any panels off. It does jiggle a bit though. Pros and cons I guess.

Once upon a time we would wait for TakaraTOMY to release their version of this toy with a painted arm-blade and roof-mounted flood lights. I miss the days when we could pick and choose between the Hasbro and Takara versions. :/

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post

Once upon a time we would wait for TakaraTOMY to release their version of this toy with a painted arm-blade and roof-mounted flood lights. I miss the days when we could pick and choose between the Hasbro and Takara versions. :/
    Honestly the poor paint is why I haven't pulled the trigger on this yet...

I went ahead and added some silver paint on the bullbar and roof rack lights, as well as the Bumbleblade (stinger?).

That stinger is a massive improvement, Gok!

But I have to say that I'm a little baffled as to why the paint keeps getting brought up otherwise. I get that there are little things like the roofrack lights but it hardly makes or breaks the figure to me. Unlike most Studio Series Bumblebees the entire back Window is painted as opposed to left clear and they even bothered to paint red taillights over the black and coloured in the wheel arches. Of course, it also has the obligatory black stripes as it should too. So it doesn't really seem lacking over any other Studio Series Bee I have, stinger aside.

I get that it might not be as painted as it could be, but calling it "poor" feels like a real stretch. It's not really much worse than most Studio Series releases.

Thank you!

The rack lots didn't really bother me that much, but since I had my silver paint and brush out to paint the blade, I thought that I might as well do the lights. The lights proved harder to paint than the blade and I didn't do as good a job. But I am happy with how the blade turned out.

But I have to say that I'm a little baffled as to why the paint keeps getting brought up otherwise. I get that there are little things like the roofrack lights but it hardly makes or breaks the figure to me. Unlike most Studio Series Bumblebees the entire back Window is painted as opposed to left clear and they even bothered to paint red taillights over the black and coloured in the wheel arches. Of course, it also has the obligatory black stripes as it should too. So it doesn't really seem lacking over any other Studio Series Bee I have, stinger aside.

I get that it might not be as painted as it could be, but calling it "poor" feels like a real stretch. It's not really much worse than most Studio Series releases.
    I honestly can't place what it is - potentially the face (which I understand is kind of accurate, but if so it doesn't seem to translate very well), but for some reason, this version of Bee is really giving me 'unfinished' energy from the paint apps - maybe it's the face + the fists + the blade + the hips all missing just a little bit that makes him seem like a bit of a yellow blob (in a way the others didn't).

Might be once I see him in person I'll change my position, but I'm not usually one to care about this stuff and yet something about this specific Bee is a bit odd... or maybe I just have Bee overload
    Last edited by Dimi194; 7th March 2023 at 10:24 PM. Reason: typo