View Poll Results: Are you going to get this beast?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buying it

4 57.14%
  • Might wait for the 294 other decos

2 28.57%
  • Avoiding it

1 14.29%
  • Chocolate

0 0%

Thread: Toy Review - SKYQUAKE (Legacy Evolution)

Default Toy Review - SKYQUAKE (Legacy Evolution)

SKYQUAKE
    Series - Generations
    Sub-line - Legacy Evolution
    Size/class - Leader
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Wave - 2
    Released here - April 2023 to online retail.
    Approximate Retail Price - $80-$100
    Approximate Size - covfefe
    Allegiance - Decepticon
    Sub-Group - TF Prime universe?
    Alt-mode - Fighter jet
    Main Features/Gimmicks - Evo-Fusion compatibility I guess? It has the usual 5mm ports all over.
    Main Colours - Green, grey, red
    Main Accessories - minigun and sword

This is a real odd duck of a figure. '

Jet Mode
    • Solid once properly transformed, and just the right side of chibi proportionally.
    • It is effectively a brick with wings, but it carries it very well. I think part of that is because the bulk is distributed along the whole fuselage.
    • The included gun does nothing super interesting in this mode. The nicest place to put it is in the robot mode's 5mm waist port (which is at the back of the jet, along the centre line). It sticks out below the landing gear, but at least it sort of looks okay. The sword stores inside the gun, so I guess that's good?

Transformation
    • It's been a while since I've had a retail release where specific order of operation is so important. If you do everything in precisely the right order, it's a smooth, fun transformation. If you do anything out of order, it turns into a clunky mess.
    • This is compounded by two issues. The first is that instructions portray a version of the figure with different engineering around the cockpit area. The instructions are no help in getting the thing properly transformed. The second is that getting the cockpit to fold up and go into the chest cavity properly requires a lot of pressure applied into a very specific way. Here are the two videos I've followed for this: video 1 video 2
    • You'll know that the transformation is done properly if the arm flaps can't pivot back into the chest cavity, as the properly folded up nosecone provides a stopping point. The proper transformation also allows the struts that the wings sit on to lock (softly) into the detents on the side of the folded nosecone.

Robot Mode
    • The robot mode is solid if the figure is properly transformed.
    • Articulation (heels aside) is very good. The butterfly joints on the arms are a fantastic addition, and pair very well with the minigun accessory. I love that independently articulated shoulderpads have become part of the design language of leader class toys in Legacy. This, Blitzwing and Laser OP all have them.
    • The accessories are a study in contrast. The minigun is fantastic. The shoulder articulation, and the front handle of the minigun being on a balljoint, mean that you can get the figure into a bunch of really nifty organic looking two handed poses. The sword on the other hand, is terrible and for some reason only keyed to work in the figure's left hand.
    • Poor ankles, and no heels. The lack of heels is probably the figure's primary issue. The ankles can get a little bit more range if you open up the jet mode rear landing gear (on side of the legs in robot mode), but they're still not only going to get to 40 degrees at most.
    • I'm not sure whether this is specific to my figure, but the shoulder ratchets for side to side movement are scary tight.

I think this is a fun figure. It justifies the leader class point more than something like Laser OP or Blitzwing, where I felt as if I was buying a Voyager with accessories tacked on.

There are about three obvious repaints of this mold (MW Starscream, G1 Skyquake, TfPrime Dreadwing), so if you're on the fence you could probably pick this up down the line in a different deco.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

(And King Atlas is the fourth, but less obvious repaint.)

I'm going to check out those videos later tonight, I knew something was wrong with the chest canopy set up - of course I shouldn't have trusted the instructions!

In robot mode he feels quite different to a "G1" toy and more like a "TF Prime" toy than I had anticipated, so good job designers. It's quite a unique look among the other "WFC/Legacy" figures and I find him very appealing in both modes.

I'm waiting for the blue Dreadwing repaint. If I see Skyquake for for cheap then I would pick him up. Hopefully Legacy Needlenose also starts showing up here soon.

A few photos I snapped today.

Jet mode, which is just the right amount of bulky

Attachment 6681

Attachment 6682

Robot mode

I wasn't really that enamoured with the blast effects from WFC, but they look amazing with the minigun here. I've paired the figure here with the blast effect from Golden Disk Jackpot.

Attachment 6683

Attachment 6684

Attachment 6685

If you've got everything transformed properly, the side profile looks like the below pic. Note: the wing struts (piece with three ovals) lines up properly and sits in a detent on the nosecone, running perpendicular along the nose code. It is not possible to get the figure transformed like this unless you do the nosecone properly.

Attachment 6686

Robot mode profile and sword

Attachment 6687

Attachment 6688

KELPIE is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I want to skip this mould, I don't need it, I have too much, need to cut down, etc... However I know chances are high when (if) I see Skyquake I'll likely grab him.

I'm skipping this toy and waiting for a retool/repaint as Generation 1 Skyquake. Here's someone's digibash of TL Skyquake in G1 colours:

^This is pretty much what I'm waiting for (preferably with a new head)

Plane mode is great.
    Overall robot presence is fantastic.
    The way the tail end spins and transforms is inventive and interesting.
    I enjoyed the transformation of the fuselage into the shoulder paldrons.

Unfortunately I can't seem to get the chest transformation lined up right, which really hinders the enjoyment of the figure. Unfortunately I can't seem to see Sharky's picture attachments anymore to see if I've been doing it right

He wasn't worth the $90-$100 RRP, but at $60 from Gamesmen I'm pretty happy with him. (Would be very happy if I could get the chest aligned correctly)

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim Prime View Post
    Plane mode is great.
    Overall robot presence is fantastic.
    The way the tail end spins and transforms is inventive and interesting.
    I enjoyed the transformation of the fuselage into the shoulder paldrons.

Unfortunately I can't seem to get the chest transformation lined up right, which really hinders the enjoyment of the figure. Unfortunately I can't seem to see Sharky's picture attachments anymore to see if I've been doing it right

He wasn't worth the $90-$100 RRP, but at $60 from Gamesmen I'm pretty happy with him. (Would be very happy if I could get the chest aligned correctly)
    Hey mate, this is a direct link to the TFW2005 post

https://www.tfw2005.com/boards/threa...#post-21186613

Since last posting in here I've both continued to regularly mess with this figure and also acquired Dreadwing (the repaint) and the nose cone transformation works on both. It feels like a lot of pressure to do, but it hasn't caused any issues in dozens of transformations.