• Not even interested

1 33.33%

Thread: Toy Review - REFRAKTOR R5

Default Toy Review - REFRAKTOR R5

REFLECTOR R5
    Series - Canon/Transformers
    New/remould/redeco - Shared mould with Optimus Prime R5
    Released here - February 2023
    Approximate Retail Price - 19800JPY ($119)
    Approximate Size - 20cm
    Allegiance - Decepticon
    Alt-mode - Canon EOS R5 digital camera
    Main Features/Gimmicks - 4:5 scale licensed camera
    Main Colours - black with grey and purple accents in robot mode
    Main Accessories - lens cap/shield, G1 Reflector camera, Quantum Dial

Camera Mode

At a glance, this toy looks like an actual camera. It is slightly smaller than an actual Canon EOS R5; 80% as large. But to most people, they're probably not going to know the difference. It's similar to how G1 Megatron is slightly smaller than an actual Walther P38, but it's near enough to being the same size that that toy has generated legal issues. However, this is also a testament of what a great robot in disguise Megatron is, and Refraktor R5 here is taking that same ethos to a whole 'nuther level.

An incredible amount of detail has been poured into this camera mode. As well as an amazingly accurate sculpt, this toy also features a few movable dials. The lens barrel is detachable, just like on an actual camera. There is a clear lens covering the aperture, as well as at the tip of the lens barrel.

^Comparison with Sony digital cameras (because I've yet to bring this toy to a store that sells Canons)

This is the most fun Transformer camera ever. G1 Reflector is a grossly undersized 1969 Ricoh 126C-Flex TLS

Robot mode

At 20cm, this toy is about the size of a Leader Class Transformer. Refraktor's lens cap also becomes his shield. He is also able to hold his G1 Reflector-style camera and Quantum Dial accessories. While the camera mode is absolutely astounding, I cannot say the same about the robot mode. This toy was clearly designed as a camera first, which was then engineered to have it transform into a singular robot that homages Viewfinder's cartoon model. There is a flight stand port, but sadly no waist swivel.

As a camera mode and as a robot in disguise, this toy is unmatched. The robot is okay, but not stellar either. I would still rank WFC Refraktor (esp. the Recon set version) as being a better action figure. For $219 I would have at least expected a waist swivel.

Comparing camera mode with G1 Reflector and Siege Recon Refraktor: