• Only if cheap

0 0%
  • Only if something else (specify)

0 0%
  • No

0 0%
  • Not even interested

3 50.00%

Thread: Toy Review - OPTIMUS PRIMAL (Rise of the Beasts, Voyager)

Default Toy Review - OPTIMUS PRIMAL (Rise of the Beasts, Voyager)

OPTIMUS PRIMAL
    Series - Rise of the Beasts
    Size/class - Voyager
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Wave - 1
    Released here - April 10, 2023
    Approximate Retail Price - $49
    Approximate Size - 15.5cm
    Allegiance - Maximal
    Alt-mode - Technorganic gorilla
    Main Features/Gimmicks - Weapons storage on back
    Main Colours - grey, silver
    Main Accessories - x2 scimitars

Quick thoughts:
    * Nicely transforms from robot to gorilla mode, with the head-swapping transformation sharing engineering with Kingdom Optimus Primal.
    * The chest transforms in a new way that's not just flipping a panel over.
    * The robot feet are completely concealed in robot mode rather than just sitting exposed behind the lower legs.
    * The scimitars look great and can be held as dual single swords, or both can be held in one hand to create the illusion of them being a single bladed weapon. They can also store on the back.
    * Unfortunately this toy doesn't come with the chain weapon as seen in the trailer. Also no guns (although we don't see Primal using any in the trailer).
    * The silver accents work well against the grey. I would have preferred some other colours to offset all the grey, but Optimus Primal is predominantly grey in the movie model, so I can't hold it against the toy for being accurate to the film. Having said that, this toy does have blue eyes in both robot and gorilla mode, despite Optimus Primal having green eyes in the trailer and some promo material. I have noticed that Optimus Primal does have blue eyes in other promotional material; and it wouldn't be the first time that a character's colours has changed between the trailer and final film (e.g. Sentinel Prime). It could be that Optimus Primal may have had blue eyes in earlier designs but was later changed to green?

I came across this video review but he also customises the figure for the second half. It looks really good what he does and addresses the colour offsets.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlMhVBLiwxI