• Only if cheap

0 0%
  • Only if something else (specify)

0 0%
  • No

0 0%
  • Not even interested

0 0%

Thread: Toy Review - DIABURNOUT (Masterpiece)

Default Toy Review - DIABURNOUT (Masterpiece)

BURN OUT
    Series - Masterpiece
    Size/class - N/A
    New/remould/redeco - Retool/repaint of Masterpiece Skids
    Wave - MP-53+B
    Released here - N/A (Japan, late March 2023, TakaraTOMY Mall exclusive)
    Approximate Retail Price - 10780JPY ($119)
    Approximate Size - 16.5cm
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode - Honda City Turbo sports hatchback car
    Main Features/Gimmicks - weapons and Loadout can be stored in boot
    Main Colours - black with red and silver accents
    Main Accessories - x1 Turbo Cannon, x1 Concussion Leveller, x1 Pulse Rifle, x1 Double Laser Caster, x1 Loadout (Motocomp attaché drone), x1 Dia Cinders (ghost pilot) figurine, x3 Autobot insignium stickers

NOTES:
    [1] Refer to the MP Skids review thread for images and comments about the original mould. This review thread will focus on changes made.
    [2] This toy comes with 3 Autobot logo stickers; one large G1 Autobot insigne, one large G2 Autobot insigne, and one small G1 Autobot insigne. At the time that I took these photos, I had not yet applied any of the insignia.

PHOTOS

Overall Thoughts
    * As with MP SenatorCrosscut and Reboost, MP DiaBurnOut features a gorgeous toy-accurate head sculpt and colours, including yellow eyes which really do stand out better than blue eyes.
    * The black guns look bland. Would have preferred for them to be chromed like with the others, and it would've also been more Diaclone-accurate. I understand that they wanted to further differentiate Burnout from her mould-mates, but the black guns just blend into Burnout's black body. Even silver or gold chrome etc. would've helped them to stand out more.
    * The dark metallic blue on the faux rear windows on the back of the legs looks really nice.
    * Unlike her Legacy counterpart, MP DiaBurnOut uses a consistent glossy black across all of her car panels.
    * The jelly bean driver looks silly. I would've preferred for TakaraTOMY to have repainted MP Carly in more realistic human colours. Heck, paint her in the colours of Dia Cinders herself.

If you like MP Skids, Reboot and Crosscut, then you'll be in for a treat with MP Burn Out.

So blue and black are repaints and red and silver are repaints. Hasbro really love this mold

Quote Originally Posted by Autocon View Post
    So blue and black are repaints and red and silver are repaints. Hasbro really love this mold
    Also retooled heads. And don't forget that these repaints are all based on original Diaclone, with Skids obviously taking cues from the Floro Dery model for the head.

Also don't forget that the face-plated head version was nearly used as Skids; I don't know which colour version it would've been, but we see it in Skids' original instruction booklet, as well as how he was sometimes drawn in the Marvel Comics.

The alternate Marvel head for Skids was used on Skids' blue body, which is inaccurate to any of the Diaclone toys. But most likely this is because the artists used Skids' black and white instructions but applied the toy's final colours.

And of course, back in 2002 Takara reissued the silver version of the Diaclone Honda City Robo and officially introduced the mould into the Transformers as a new character known as Crosscut (no relation to G1 Crosscut), which was exclusively available with Road Rage (you had to pre-order both) from e-Hobby.

^Displaying Crosscut & Road Rage at the OzFormers booth, Sydney Supanova 2003
    What do you mean that was twenty years ago?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    It kind of amuses me that Griffin managed to do the same pose in all photos for the last 20 years
    If you're talking about the OzComicCon pose, it's because I told him to pose that way. And I also tried to emulate my pose from 2003 too. dirge wasn't there to obscure my right arm, but the prize wheel did! I did see excelonzero at OzComicCon but he wasn't at the Hasbro booth when we took this photo.

Don't know if griffin's ever done that pose otherwise. <shrugs>