• Only if cheap

0 0%
  • Only if something else (specify)

1 25.00%
  • No

1 25.00%
  • Not even interested

0 0%

Thread: Toy Review - HOUND (Retro reissue)

Default Toy Review - HOUND (Retro reissue)

HOUND
    Series - Retro
    Sub-line - The Transformers The Movie
    New/remould/redeco - Reissue of G1 Hound
    Wave - N/A
    Released here - Yes (Big W online exclusive)
    Approximate Retail Price - $69
    Approximate Size - 10.5cm
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode - Mitsubishi Jeep J-59
    Main Features/Gimmicks - TFTM-inspired deco
    Main Colours - see above
    Main Accessories - Hologram gun, machine gun, missile launcher^holder, x3 missiles, spare tyre, jerrycan

This toy is a reissue/redeco of 1984 Hound. Refer to cliffbee.com's G1 Hound review if you've been living on Gobotron for the last 39 years. This thread will focus on changes made.

Pros
    + Colours look more like the cartoon (if that appeals to you)
    + Blue coloured eyes pop out well as opposed to the chromed silver eyes on chrome face on G1 Hound
    + Painted and tampographed decos > stickers, just so much. The forearm and rib stickers on my G1 Hound, TFC Hound and eHobby Detritus have never stuck properly and are always peeling off. Stickers suck.
    + Non-functioning missile launcher means that the missiles are the original size.

Cons
    - The cartoony colours on Hound really make him look like a child's toy as opposed to an actual Jeep. This detracts from the "robot in disguise" play pattern.
    - The whitish green winch and "Hasblow" grey on the mirrors, guns and missiles don't look great.
    - Missile firing mechanism has been disabled (if that appeals to you)

Overall
    Good on Hasbro for giving us something different with this reissue. TFC already gave us a G1-accurate reissue, and the "G1" toy shown my photos is my TFC (cos my actual G1 Hound is in quite worn condition ). This toy isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea, but then again, that's why it's a limited online store exclusive, in'nit? Recommended if this deco appeals to you.

KELPIE is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I really like him and the look as a point of difference. However there's no denying the fact that the colours make him look cheap.