• Only if cheap

1 14.29%
  • Only if something else (specify)

0 0%
  • No

2 28.57%
  • Not even interested

0 0%

Thread: Toy Review - NIGHTBIRD (Rise of the Beasts Deluxe)

Default Toy Review - NIGHTBIRD (Rise of the Beasts Deluxe)

NIGHTBIRD
    Series - Rise of the Beasts
    Size/class - Deluxe
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Wave - 1
    Released here - April 2023
    Approximate Retail Prize - $35
    Approximate Size - 13.5cm
    Allegiance - Terrorcon
    Alt-mode - Nissan Skyline R33 GT-R*
    Main Features/Gimmicks - weapons combine to form spoiler
    Main Colours - gunmetal grey, metallic purple, bronze
    Main accessories - x1 sword, x1 dual claw

Ever had a toy that initially failed to impress you but then grows on you later? Rise of the Beasts Nightbird is one such toy, for me anyway. I first encountered this toy nearly 2 months ago when I was helping Hasbro shoot their promotional videos for their Big W exclusives, at I gotta say that I found Nightbird to be just mediocre. In hindsight, this was because I was transforming and posing this toy in a rush, and as such, I found it difficult to pose Nightbird on her tiny feet. But now that I own the toy and have had the luxury of checking this toy out in my own time, I find that she is remarkably well balanced for a toy with such small feet. I would advise posing this toy on a solid surface though.

The robot head does look a lot like G1 Nightbird, and there are also other elements that resemble samurai armour. And I will remind you that, unlike what pop culture has taught us, in real life ninja and samurai were often one and the same thing. So having samurai armour parts on a ninja-bot is actually historically accurate. Ya know, aside from being a giant transforming alien robot (although The Last Knight showed us modern vehicle modes in Earth's past, so why not? ). The door panels can also slide back to form pseudo-swordish things, similar to the doors on Drift or the MP3/6/7 Seekers.

Something that has impressed me about this toy from the very beginning are the weapons. She comes with a gorgeous sword and a claw weapon. These weapons assemble to form the spoiler on the car mode, which I think is quite clever. In terms of screen likeness, this toy is definitely more colourful than what I think her screen model is. We have seen photos of the Nissan Skyline car that they've used, which is predominantly dark grey with metallic magenta rims. This toy does introduce bronze highlights to the car mode which doesn't appear on the movie car from what we've seen. We haven't had a very clear look at her robot mode; just Nightbird doing a mid-air mid-transformation somersalt in the new spoilerrific trailer. From what I could glance, Nightbird's on-screen model has darker arms/hands, not bronze arms/hands like this toy. I can see some bronze on the chest and legs, although possibly not to the degree that this toy has, it's hard to tell for sure at this stage. This toy does use metallic indigo highlights which are magenta on the film.

I'm hoping that a Studio Series Nightbird is in the works, hopefully giving us a more screen-like design with a licensed Nissan Skyline vehicle mode. But this mainline toy is also nice enough that I'll likely keep both Nightbirds after getting the SS figure. Also, the transformation on this is fairly complex for a mainline Deluxe; it feels like it's at the peak of what would be doable for the average child. Having personally witnessed kids struggle and fail with Studio Series Airazor, I can see the value of these simpler mainline toys for the core target market: children.

Recommended, although if screen-likeness and licensed vehicle modes are a big deal for you, you might want to wait and see if a Studio Series figure happens or not. But if you don't care that much about screen-likeness and you'd prefer a Nightbird with a more diverse range of colours to break up all that dark grey, then this is the toy for you. Worth buying for $35 at Kmart or if you can get Big W to price match Kmart's price (I don't think it's worth $39; yes, I know it's only a $4 difference, but this is significant for kids collecting these toys with their pocket money (or trying to convince their parents to buy them)).

----------------------------------------------
    *unlicensed approximant

She looks awesome, and I can’t wait to get a hold of her. I recall you being initially frustrated and disappointed with her from the shoot (posing) but I’m glad that more time with it has led you to a different opinion. I just love the claw weapon, and as it’s a complex transformation I’ll buy two…. One for robot mode, one for vehicle, and I’ll put both claws on the robot for full on Wolverine action.

Still haven’t been able to find her (wave 2?) but I really want her.
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

Interesting 'liquorice all-sorts' colour scheme going in with Nightbird and Wheeljack (I know nothing about authenticity, heh).

Quote Originally Posted by Bemblebuu View Post
    Interesting 'liquorice all-sorts' colour scheme going in with Nightbird and Wheeljack (I know nothing about authenticity, heh).
    Yeah, admittedly the hodge podge of colours isn't ideal. If you can get past that she's a wonderful mould, though. One of my favourite ROTB mainline releases.
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha_Phantom View Post
    Yeah, admittedly the hodge podge of colours isn't ideal. If you can get past that she's a wonderful mould, though.
    No guarantee at this stage, but I'm guessing that HasTak are going to release a more screen-accurate* Studio Series Nightbird later on. If so, I think it might be neat that they give us more diversity and choice in designs. Take Airazor for example; while the mainline toy isn't to my personal tastes, I definitely do appreciate that it's a very different design to Studio Series Airazor, giving us greater choice.

Also, toys that are more accurate to screen designs get criticised for being too bland! Take RotB Voyager Optimus Primal and SS Airazor for example. And the critics aren't wrong; these toys do have rather bland colour schemes, but that's just how they appear in the movie. Similarly, Nightbird does have a more uniform dark colour scheme based on what we glimpsed in the latest trailer. So HasTak are kinda damned if they do and damned if they don't in terms of going bland vs colourful. But why not both? Also, these mainline toys are more geared towards kids who are more likely to be attracted by a more diverse colour palette over screen likeness.

-------------
    *with a licensed Nissan Skyline vehicle mode. We know they have the Nissan licence.

Oh I'm fine with it, but I can understand why others might not be. I'll happily double dip on the Nightbird character if they do a Studio Series version.
    I love Nissan GTRs and I wouldn't mind having a Nightbird to display in robot and in vehicle mode - I'll also be doing the same with Mirage.
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.