Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transformers for Transformers sake

KELPIE is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by JJJ View Post
    I am currently 41 toys away from my goal (213 toys in total), and it doesn't seem unreasonable to think that those remaining 41 might get a modern toy within the next couple of years (in fact, due to leaks of store inventory listings I know that a bunch are definitely coming this year and next). And for anyone wondering, no, it isn't just buying for the sake of ticking a box; I wanted, and still want, every single one of them.
    That's a pretty good goal. I hope you succeed especially since it means a few as yet updated characters will need to be made

Quote Originally Posted by Ode to a Grasshopper View Post
    It's not a strict system and definitely isn't for everyone, but I find this approach helps stop the collection from getting out of hand while providing maximum interest and variety for me. Every now and then a character gets an upgrade but for the most part if I'm buying a figure then it's one I like the design of and the collection has stayed reasonably constant over the years.
    Good rules, especially the first 2. As with all rules though... they're made to be broken.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    If I likes it I buys it.

I did admittedly go through an "addiction" phase in 2003-04 where I was buying a lot of stuff just for the sake of buying it rather than because I genuinely wanted it. Snapped out of it by 2005. But yeah, I generally look at buying toys that I would regret if I missed them. If not, then I don't.

Just one example, I'm skipping Legacy Skyquake. Nothing necessarily wrong with that toy per se, but it's just not my jam. Ditto Titan Class Cybertron Metroplex and Commander Class Armada Optimus Prime, which looks like an amazing figure, but it's just not one that appeals to me personally. These are toys that I'll likely enjoy for a few weeks or months and then get sick of them and look at selling them. So best to just not buy them in the first place.

I aim to buy for keeps, not to maintain a revolving door.
    That's interesting Gok, from the outside it would appear as though you grab everything. I suppose there's no avoiding something looking good and then being disappointed after it's opened and fiddled with.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    About the only things I blindly buy are Head/Target/Power Masters or Cosmos.
    That Cosmos.. man, what a punish. I'm hoping he gets a wider release. I love the '86 Minibots and Beachcomber is my insta-grab.

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    Seeing Hasbro put more AEC and Aligned products out is a bit of a relief. I can skip so much stuff now.
    Yeah man, I hear ya but am concerned. I'd love them to release a bunch of characters that haven't had updates yet and I'm worried the longer we wait the more likely they are to never get made. Give it another year or two and we'll likely start getting the '84 cast again in with more AEC

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim Prime View Post
    I think it was easier when Transformers was a single line - you knew what was in and what was out, and there was only one version of the line that you either embraced or didn't. Not everyone liked the Prime aesthetic, but it was the main line and the only thing going really. It seems like that with the advent of Cyberverse there became two Transformer teams - the "kid team" - looking after Cyberverse and was that mainstream generation of TFs (now Earthspark and the RotB movie) - and the "fan team" - looking after Generations and "shelf worthy" figures, which in many ways has diluted the essence of what is supposed to be a Transformer - is it the playable action figure, or is it the display piece.
    I agree and disagree. I feel having one line created issues like Animated getting cancelled early because they needed to move on to the next line. Having multiple lines allow the lines to continue if financially viable.

That said, my Wife now has no idea what to get if she want's to surprise me... which line, which version of which character, it can get confusing for someone not in the know.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    Regarding No-transform / no-buy, I think I'm still scarred by buying a non-transforming Matchbox Voltron back in the 80s and being so upset it was just a statue. There are some good looking non-transforming things out there, but knowing any of those robots on my shelf can transform is what makes them special to me, and more appealing than the very few action figures (Marvel Legends).
    I think it's very different comparing non-Transformer action figures to Transformer action figures. Other figures are really competing with each other. Transformer Action Figures offer a point of difference in either looking like source material, or not needing to sacrifice aesthetics or articulation due to transofmation... That said, there is certainly some done better than others aaand transformable figures sure are getting better and better.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    If I likes it I buys it.

I did admittedly go through an "addiction" phase in 2003-04 where I was buying a lot of stuff just for the sake of buying it rather than because I genuinely wanted it. Snapped out of it by 2005. But yeah, I generally look at buying toys that I would regret if I missed them. If not, then I don't.

Just one example, I'm skipping Legacy Skyquake. Nothing necessarily wrong with that toy per se, but it's just not my jam. Ditto Titan Class Cybertron Metroplex and Commander Class Armada Optimus Prime, which looks like an amazing figure, but it's just not one that appeals to me personally. These are toys that I'll likely enjoy for a few weeks or months and then get sick of them and look at selling them. So best to just not buy them in the first place.

I aim to buy for keeps, not to maintain a revolving door.
    I am similar in my approach... I have missed a number of the Legacy Evolutions as well... even with the Amazon sale on now, I am not going to pick them up.

Quote Originally Posted by KELPIE View Post
    I suppose there's no avoiding something looking good and then being disappointed after it's opened and fiddled with.
    As experienced collectors, I find that we're usually pretty good judges of what toys will appeal to us and which ones won't. It's not often that we're wrong.
    But sometimes things will surprise me, either in a good or bad way.

e.g. I thought that I would enjoy the non-Studio Series ROTB Airazor toy, so I bought it. I didn't like it, so I sold it.

I like to think I have a formula, but the the truth is probably closer to "I buy what I like".
    My interests are G1, BW, BM, RID 2001 and Armada, so any CHUG updates of those are welcome. I try to tune out any of the newer series like Animated, Prime and Earthspark.

The one rule I definitely have is that I will buy any Masterpiece or CHUG Diaclone deco they do.
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.