Thread: Toy Review - Studio Series Gamer Edition Voyager Optimus Prime

Default Toy Review - Studio Series Gamer Edition Voyager Optimus Prime

OPTIMUS PRIME
    Series - Generations
    Sub-line - Studio Series
    Hypo-line - Gamer Series
    Size/class - Voyager
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Wave - 20 (Studio Series), 1 (Gamer Edition)
    Released here - ???? (Ordered from online retailer)
    Approximate Retail Prize - $49.95
    Approximate Size - 12cm
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode - Space truck
    Main Features/Gimmicks - Opening Matrix Chamber, swappable weapon arm
    Main Colours - Red, Blue, Grey
    Main accessories - Rifle-arm, Axe (3 pieces), Matrix

This is one of my favourite Prime designs (and it beats the stuffing out of the FoC version) so this was an insta-buy for me.

Kek1CwI.jpg

FfopHFT.jpg
    Vehicle Mode
    - Really solid looking and feeling. Just a giant, balled fist of a vehicle.
    - The rear wheels look a bit small to the eye?
    - Fists sort of hanging out the back are a bit of an eyesore I suppose, but then everyone else was tripping over themselves to give Tarn a pass for this so I guess it's fine?
    - Weapon storage isn't great, but then I guess there's only so much you can do with a giant doom axe.

Transformation
    - Absolutely fantastic. The way the figure moves its mass around and the way that the shoulders expand and contract give this a great hand feel.
    - It's the opposite of the panel nightmare that the original Deluxe figure turned into.
    - You lose some of the 'authenticity' of the original figure's transformation, but on the whole this figure is more intuitive. What I mean by that, is that the original figure even at Deluxe managed to get the bumper onto the robot mode's waist and this one doesn't. The upshot is that this figure is much better articulated.

ylgzAjI.jpg

Gvto5X8.jpg

JPFcjQq.jpg

pixFSPC.jpg

ohnDzoz.jpg

HXYBb7C.jpg

Robot Mode
    - The proportions do look a bit chonky in pictures. In hand it absolutely works.
    - Articulation is good. The gun arm goes for a full double elbow, and the other arm only goes to 90. The knees only go to 90 as well.
    - The rifle-arm accessory can only be a rifle arm. It can't be held in any way as a standard gun, which is a bit of a disappointment.
    - The removable arm is a bit loose on my figure. I'm genuinely considering just gluing it as I don't really like the rifle-arm, and the peg is fortunately not used for any articulation.
    - The Matrix chamber is so smoothly integrated that I completely forgot it existed until right at the end of the photos.

Overall
    - Solid engineering and great design work carry the day here. It's been a great year for Voyager figures and this continues the trend.
    - That said, the accessories are a bit of a damp squib for me.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

With just an orange permanent marker and a gundam marker, the axe looks 100 times better.