0 0%
  • No

1 11.11%
  • Not even interested

0 0%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Movie Review - Transformers Rise of the Beasts [SPOILERS]

Quote Originally Posted by KingGrimlock View Post
    One thing I noticed that wasn't mentioned here yet was when Unicron was on screen the music had strong hints of his 80's theme into it, something I think was a good nod to how awesome the original theme was.
    Sorry, but it definitely was mentioned here. Glad I wasn't the only one who noticed it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha_Phantom View Post
    As a hip hop fan, the soundtrack utterly rocked! I also noticed little elements of the 1986 Unicron theme when he was on screen.
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

Quote Originally Posted by Bidoofdude View Post
    I was actually quite surprised how much they channeled the 2007 Transformers film with this one, albeit in the 90s and with a lot less noisy camera work/sensory overload.
    I think that's a deliberate decision on Paramount's part. The Bumblebee movie moved away from the Bayformer formula, but commercially underperformed. The Bayformers movies were commercial successes. At the end of the day, we all vote with our wallets. For my part I watched Bumblebee thrice in cinemas.

Quote Originally Posted by Bidoofdude View Post
    Probably a hot topic issue but I didn’t really like Optimus in this film. I get what they were going for with him being conflicted over their duty to Cybertron and to the humans, but they didn’t really stick the landing well. He was rageful and fighting purely out of vengeance, which seems to work out for him in the end, with the lessons from Primal not really actually changing anything.
    Optimus Prime is supposed to start from a dark place, having been stuck on Earth for seven years and desperate to get back to Cybertron to continue the war against the Decepticons. I like how the movie started Optimus Prime from a low point so that he can grow as a character. I also liked how both Noah and Optimus Prime had parallels as the respective "big brother" characters for their respective families, which is something that helps both characters grow. Noah chooses to spare the Key to save Prime's family, while Prime destroys the Key to save Noah's.

Yes, Optimus Prime did brutally kill Scourge, but this was in the middle of combat. I personally don't object to him killing enemy combatants during a fight; that's just the awful nature of war. What I object to is when he kills opponents after the fight has ended; i.e. executing POWs - a war crime. This isn't what Prime did to Scourge though. It's not comparable with the way that he executed Demolishor in RotF or Sentinel Prime in DotM, IMHO.

Overall a pretty by-the-numbers action adventure. It's taking the Transformers franchise in the right direction but lacks the overall depth to be an excellent film.

Below are my brain farts:

• 90's laid on thick
    • Maximals in contrast, were spread really really thin. This entire film could have been done without them with little impact to the quality or story. Disappointing.
    • The abscence of the US (or otherwise) military response was incredibly refreshing
    • It's Macguffin time! Is a Transformers film without a portal Macguffin even really a Transformers film? (don't answer that)
    • Moody Prime felt a bit contrived and overdone.
    • Scourge places way too much trust in his incredibly ineffective Frenzy/Freezer minions.
    • The Terrorcons plot armour melted away way too fast. At an instant they go from nigh-invincible to cannon fodder with next to no explanation except the good guys are fighting harder now.
    • Many would rejoice this, but unfortunately I feel like the attempt at actual film-making was at the expense of the outright silliness that made the Bay/Knightverse so bad it's good. This film kind of lands in no-mans land, not awful but in no way outstanding.
    • Action sequences pretty well done and not at all overdone. Quite the accomplishment.
    • Why Wheeljack? Exist only to deliver an unfunny political correctness gag?
    • Mirage is by far the feature robot character in this film. Great to see Hasbro not leaning too hard on Bumblebee to carry the Franchise. However: go the shops to go buy a Mirage and waaaaat, he's not there? This film was delayed by a year, get your sheets together Hasbro!
    • The coolest character was Apelinq. Actually no, Stratosphere! Will we get toys?

I didn't leave me with the sense of epic-ness of TF3, or the warm and fuzzies of BB, but I really enjoyed this one - I liked the variety in robot and human characters and for a McGuffin franchise, these ones felt interesting enough (although I'm not clear how Scourge built the portal thing on the volcano? Or was it already there?)

Really hope they do another one, and the GI Joe reference at the end sets up some interesting possibilities (esp if they were to redo the humans working with the bad guy transformers again).

Overall nice work 7/10 - and now I need toys of ALL OF THEM!

Speaking of the MacGuffin, I've been wondering... why didn't the Maximals just destroy the TransWarp Key after arriving on Earth? If the idea was that using the Key would attract Unicron, and they wanted to get the Key away from Unicron... and the Maximals seem content to strand themselves on Earth... why not just destroy the damn thing?

Just come home from a morning session with my son. The cinema wasn't really that busy, so I don't know how much money this one is going to make.
    Overall we enjoyed Bumblebee more but this was still pretty good.
    Optimus Prime was a bit moody in this one. Certainly quite different to how we see him at the end of the Bumblebee movie.
    Optimus Primal got plenty of screen time but the rest of the Maximals didn't really do much. I didn't really relate to them at all especially never following Beast Wars as a kid.
    Unicron was pretty good and Scourge was a good bad gay. As another poster said, I like how Unicron tortures Scourge like he did to Galvatron in the 1986 movie.
    Was glad to see Mirage be the centre of attention rather than Bumblebee. I have been getting a little Bumblebee fatigued.
    Still I was happy to see Bumblebee got revived and not killed off entirely.
    The human characters were pretty good. Not annoying like Sam Witwicky or Agent Simmons. And they actually added something to the story.

Another potential reference: Elena uses a 3D scanner to scan the falcon statue. This may be a reference to how Mainframe animators used a 3D scanner to scan the Beast Wars toys, and then used those scans as the basis for the animation models. And of course, Airazor would have been one of the toys to be scanned.

Still having a hard time getting over having a cool/hip Porsche character with blue racing stripes and it not being Jazz…

But that aside the movie was ok, not the worst, not the best, Maximals seemed wasted (like you’d think mentioning they are from the future would prompt some further questioning). Mirage (should have been Jazz… lol ) was a good character and a refreshing break from the radio talking Bumblebee.

Biggest waste of potential was Scourge, should have played the internal battle between his own volition and Unicron’s will (similar to Megatron in the original cartoon movie), with more insight to how he became Unicron’s unwilling slave. It would have been better to have Primal and Prime fight him in the final battle (that’s how they overcome his power) and rather than kill him, they incapacitate him in the battle and in defeat (with his mask removed) Scourge begs them to kill him to free him from Unicron’s servitude, which prompts prime to show mercy and instead of killing scourge, destroys the key, however in the suction effect sucks scourge back to Unicron, so that potentially we haven’t seen the end of Scourge (or Unicron)

Anyway, like I said it was enjoyable, the GI Joe cameo at the end was intriguing, I thought it was going to be sector 7 lol

Quote Originally Posted by Meister View Post
    Biggest waste of potential was Scourge, should have played the internal battle between his own volition and Unicron’s will (similar to Megatron in the original cartoon movie), with more insight to how he became Unicron’s unwilling slave. It would have been better to have Primal and Prime fight him in the final battle (that’s how they overcome his power) and rather than kill him, they incapacitate him in the battle and in defeat (with his mask removed) Scourge begs them to kill him to free him from Unicron’s servitude, which prompts prime to show mercy and instead of killing scourge, destroys the key, however in the suction effect sucks scourge back to Unicron, so that potentially we haven’t seen the end of Scourge (or Unicron)
    It's becoming clear to me that one of the directives for these live actions films is that good is good and evil is evil. This is likely a Paramount decision and done so as to not-alienate some sectors of the US market and more easily gain acceptance in international markets. Unfortunately this isn't really a good foundation for good storytelling. Personally I don't think the trade-off is worth it as the Transformers brand has so much potential and most (if not all) iterations are diminishing it's value overall.

Anyway, like I said it was enjoyable, the GI Joe cameo at the end was intriguing, I thought it was going to be sector 7 lol
    I believe it was indeed Sector 7 in the test screenings.

Still having a hard time getting over having a cool/hip Porsche character with blue racing stripes and it not being Jazz…
    Why? Jazz has never been a Porsche in the movie universe before.

I can understand some people being unhappy with Wheeljack's design shift (although it's no better/worse than how he looked in Dark of the Moon), but given that Jazz has never been a Porsche in the movieverse, I see now issue with Mirage being one.

If we're going by the logic that the Porsche should be Jazz just because of G1, then...
    * The black police car should've been Stakeout, not Barricade
    * The yellow Autobot sports car should've been Sunstreaker, not Bumblebee
    * The black ute should've been Trailbreaker, not Ironhide
    * The fire emergency vehicle should've been Red Alert, not Ratchet
    * The red fire engine should've been Inferno, not Sentinel Prime
    * The F22 Raptor should've been Fearswoop, not Starscream
    * The military helicopter should've been Vortex, not Blackout
    * The stereo CD player should've been Blaster, not Frenzy
    * The Corvette should've been Tracks, not Sideswipe
    * The Autobot hatchback should've been Skids, not... no, wait, that one's actually okay. Maybe without the offensive stereotype.
    ...etc.

Given that the live action movie series is now 16 years, I think that the ship has truly sailed on this issue. Movieverse =/= G1, just let them be what they be.