Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Acquisitions Etiquette?

I reckon everyone should use an acquisitions mascot.

Quote Originally Posted by roller
    and that curse language should be discouraged, except when its blatantly called for.
    Or if I'm placing a hex on you.

MV75 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I think that this is just yet another Jaydisc thread that is digging for an answer to a problem that doesn't exist.

Did you recently get into a council job?
    Code:
    O o 
      _
     / --------------------------------
    |      IMMA FIRIN MA LAZAR!!!
     \_--------------------------------

I've been away for the most part from the boards a little while now - Big, less-than-fun-stuff happening, including needing to move and all that jazz. LOTS of drama since I was last properly here...

My 13cents about buying for others (something I occasionally do, depending on whether I know what people want, or if it's a bargain, like the $15 screenbattles I found in bloody geelong first - I make a quick call or text around ) is that it's something that really helps the others do it -
    With regards to cost and the issue of buying more of one thing prevents others from getting it, I raise the question:
    Do you want a helping hand from a friend? Or not?
    If we were to go looking into the cost of things, wouldn't it cost you or others more time by having to go out to that same location and buying the same item for yourself (there's time, petrol, PT fees, time cost involved) ; arguably more than if a mate of yours was willing to pick it up for you.

Sure, I know I haven't been included in all group orders (even little ones between 2 or so people), mass group buys, exclusive orders (dangit! I missed that CJ upgrade - lol), and the instore-multibuys. The initial reaction may well be a tinge of jealousy - a very human reaction, but c'est la vie. I'm bound to get what I want one way or another - perseverance and waiting all works out in the end. Of course, that said, if I can get it sooner, rather than later, and at a good price great!

So - I don't think any changes need to be made to the acquisitions thread - bring on the multiples etc etc. P!ssing contest or not, it's something that not everyone will do for everyone. Mates like helping each other out, and when comes back to it, it's just toys.
    Never ceases to amaze me how worked up we get about them.

Current Wants:
    Shadow Scyther

Quote Originally Posted by lcz128
    it's just toys.
    Never ceases to amaze me how worked up we get about them.
    It happens whenever people are deeply passionate about something. If you're a gamer you know that gamers are LOUD. And just look at sports hooliganism. And sadly there was a shooting at Toys R Us in the U.S.. You just know that it's gone way too far if people are getting hurt or killed over sports and hobbies. :/

<--German football fans rioting

"Sharon, his character is going to die if we don't get to him!"
    "So what?"
    "SO WHAT?!?!!"

(Make Love Not Warcraft, South Park)

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I reckon everyone should use an acquisitions mascot.
    Well most of us are doing that now hehehe
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Quote Originally Posted by MV75 View Post
    I think that this is just yet another Jaydisc thread that is digging for an answer to a problem that doesn't exist.

Did you recently get into a council job?
    Actually, it sounds like you have assumed the reverse of my personal position. I'm actually against any regulation of this nature, but at the same time, I don't want to instill jealousy or cause ill will, so what I was doing was to try and gauge if certain styles of acquisition posts cause that. Contrary to popular belief, I don't want to upset anyone.

I think the best advice for anyone getting annoyed (advice I need to consistently remind myself of), is to simply ignore. Either ignore certain threads or ignore specific posters. I encourage people to ignore me if I grate them. And I would never take offense to it, nor would I consider it petty.

I remember a statement my fourth grade teacher said that always stuck with me:

If you're in a movie theatre and the person in front of you is blocking your view, it's your responsibility to move, not to ask the person in front of you to move.

Quote Originally Posted by roller View Post
    i bet 20 astrolitres of energon that everyone in here has seen "Rabbit proof fence" movie
    You lose Roller. I am sooooo uncultured

Capitalism is a bitch sometimes but he who gets there first with money wins I take pleasure in seeing fellow collecors having a win and see it as a privilege, as much as a brag, to have a case or two of new Masterpiece Grimlocks (for example) pictured in a blatantly pompous fashion when that person has taken the trouble to source them for others. Anyone else is just asking for a deal IMO

I have occasionally popped the question about availability to others on the board who have posted large purchases with no specified destination. That hasn't seemed to annoy anyone too much, but would quickly become a hassle if 10 others have the same idea and they were already taken

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledealer View Post
    They're giving a select few the chance at getting them, not others in general. Who deserves the new toy more? Joe Bloggs who travelled 20 minutes to get to the shop or Mr Lounge Lizard who collects it off his mate at his leisure?
    But it is kind of like buying bulk from online shops to save on shipping. You save something in both cases. Both time and money is saved. The only difference is that having someone buy it in store for you is generally more spontaneous.
    And I am fine with that. I don't have much time as it is and my income is limited. Anything that saves me time and money is welcome
    And what is wrong with that?
    |Buy ALL my things!|Collection Thread|Current Collection Count: ~661|
    |Wants|Galaxy Force Blue Rumble|

Quote Originally Posted by jaydisc View Post
    While this question is the result of another thread, I'd like like to try and keep this discussion at a very conceptual, non-specific level to see if the idea has merit. Do we need some form of Acquisition Etiquette?

Quite often, I, and some others, will post pics of lots of toys acquired on behalf of myself or many. Now, this might be a group order that has shipped to one person or the result of one person buying a bunch of the same item for others or simply multiples for themselves. Now personally, I've always liked to see large masses of toys, even if all the same for a few reasons. Firstly, I dig packaging and secondly, it makes it look sort of like a toy store, which is obviously a favorite sight to most of us.

Do people find this offensive? Does this instill feelings of envy or jealous or invoke outward opinions of greed or selfishness? And if these feelings are present, wouldn't it be best to just avoid the acquisition threads or should we instead impose or suggest some etiquette?

On a side note, my GF was quite shocked when she discovered we posted our acquisitions. She said it seemed like a pissing contest. Is it?

So yeah, should we introduce Acquisition Etiquette? And if so, what would the parameters be?
    Well put. I share similar feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by DigDug View Post
    Capitalism is a bitch sometimes but he who gets there first with money wins
    Hmmm collecting Transformers is like a giant, pointless, game of monopoly. It's lucky that I have the actual Transformers monopoly set so I can play the make believe fun version instead of the toy sniping shoot-em-up version.

I am extremely picky about transformers that I purchase and most of them have to tug significant G1 heartstrings. I use the sightings page to get a feel for what is where and who has the cheapest prices... For example my desire for Special Ed Dragstrip made me gravitate towards toy kingdom, more than usual, for a few weeks.