Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Acquisitions Etiquette?

Default Acquisitions Etiquette?

While this question is the result of another thread, I'd like like to try and keep this discussion at a very conceptual, non-specific level to see if the idea has merit. Do we need some form of Acquisition Etiquette?

Quite often, I, and some others, will post pics of lots of toys acquired on behalf of myself or many. Now, this might be a group order that has shipped to one person or the result of one person buying a bunch of the same item for others or simply multiples for themselves. Now personally, I've always liked to see large masses of toys, even if all the same for a few reasons. Firstly, I dig packaging and secondly, it makes it look sort of like a toy store, which is obviously a favorite sight to most of us.

Do people find this offensive? Does this instill feelings of envy or jealous or invoke outward opinions of greed or selfishness? And if these feelings are present, wouldn't it be best to just avoid the acquisition threads or should we instead impose or suggest some etiquette?

On a side note, my GF was quite shocked when she discovered we posted our acquisitions. She said it seemed like a pissing contest. Is it?

So yeah, should we introduce Acquisition Etiquette? And if so, what would the parameters be?

There is a certain coolness to seeing big group shots of the same toy - like three Gadeps (Omega Sentinels) etc. Perhaps we could say that photos of multiple acquisitions like these should have a disclaimer somewhere in the post that states that these are not all for yourself. But then you have people like heroic_decepticon who enjoys collecting multiples (like _five_ Lio Kaisers) for himself (ironically I am actually eating sour grapes as I'm typing this!).

Quote Originally Posted by jaydisc
    On a side note, my GF was quite shocked when she discovered we posted our acquisitions. She said it seemed like a pissing contest. Is it?
    Don't be ridiculous. We don't use urinals (yet).

The acquisition threads are basically about boasting and bragging rights - no doubt's there. But hey, it's mostly harmless fun for those involved. If you think it's a massive fap-fest then just don't view those threads!

As a forum of collectors, I thought that showing off our acquisitions was one of the important factors of the community, in keeping with the theme of things. The title banner does read Transformers Collectors Australia. Do we need a disclaimer on the banner also?

Heheheh, yeah... part of the fun of being a collector is to show off your collection. We spend enough freakin' time and money investing on them!!

TheDirtyDigger Guest

Do people find this offensive?
    No.
    Does this instill feelings of envy or jealous or invoke outward opinions of greed or selfishness?
    Yes and Sometimes. I'll deal.
    And if these feelings are present, wouldn't it be best to just avoid the acquisition threads or should we instead impose or suggest some etiquette?
    Haha...that's a joke right?
    She said it seemed like a pissing contest. Is it?
    Oh yeah!!! I f***ing love it.

Quote Originally Posted by jaydisc View Post
    It sure is

I like to give a little review (even if it's just a sentence) of what I think of the toy/item when I post an acquistion so it's not just "look at what I got". And I usually don't get much that everyone else isn't already getting anyway.

The only ettiqute I personally would like to see is:
    a) Bulk purchases are explained (most people do this anyway)
    b) Stories of how the purchaser conned seller (store, ebayer, etc) are avoided

Quote Originally Posted by jaydisc View Post
    i agree with her...

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Heheheh, yeah... part of the fun of being a collector is to show off your collection. We spend enough freakin' time and money investing on them!!
    Depends whos doing the showing off, hey?

Why are we making things so difficult for ourselves? We are here for the fun and collecting TFs is our hobby.... so just cool down and let the year end in peace and harmony. We sometimes take others for granted but that doesn't mean we don't care.
    So, let the acquisitions thread run as it is, with pics or no pics...it doesn't matter if you post your acquisitions or not.

If we wanna be discreet, just post our own acquisition next time and let others post theirs when they collected their share of the bulk order/purchase?

The only thing I don't like seeing in the aquisition thread is when people post large amounts of the same toy. Sure, you may be keeping them to give to friends but I still think it's wrong. Give everyone a chance at getting them!

Other than that I don't have a problem with the thread. It's a great feeling when you get a new Transformer and it's fun to show it off. Who doesn't like show and tell? And pictures...Shiny pictures with lots of sparkles. O_O*