• Only if cheap

0 0%
  • Only if something else (specify)

0 0%
  • No

0 0%
  • Not even interested

0 0%

Thread: Toy Review - BRAWN (Studio Series 86)

Default Toy Review - BRAWN (Studio Series 86)

GONG
    Series - Studio Series
    Sub-line - 86
    Size/class - Deluxe
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Wave - 21
    Released here - August 2023
    Approximate Retail Price - $37.95
    Approximate Size - 12cm
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode - Jeep
    Main Features/Gimmicks - Gun can plug into car roof
    Main Colours - green, amber, silver
    Main Accessories - x1 gun, backdrop

Overall Thoughts
    A very nice "Poor Man's Masterpiece," which I always mean as a compliment to a toy. I really love the way that the legs transform into the sides and headlights of the car; a nice homage to G1 Brawn's transformation. The way that the front grill is completely concealed in robot mode is also quite clever. This kind of attention to detail is something I'm more used to seeing on Masterpiece toys. My Brawn's head cannot turn though, but I think I got a dud. I've watched two video reviews and I can see that the head can turn, although it's tight; so yeah, I think I got unlucky with the QC.
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 6th August 2023 at 09:12 PM. Reason: New photos of vehicle mode with corrected transformation

I've exchanged my faulty Brawn for a new one and the head can turn just fine. I've also tested the heads on five Brawns and they all turn just fine. I was just unlucky with my first one. If you want to test the head on this toy before you buy it, you can pull the head slightly towards you so that the chest partially opens. Grip the head and give it a turn. It will be stiff, and you probably will only be able to turn it a few degrees. But if the head can move at all, then it's good sign. My faulty one wouldn't even move a millimetre, even after I tried using pliers! It will work better after you've opened the toy and can grip the figure firmly in your other hand. A couple of twists will loosen it up. Also, be aware that the rear vehicle panel is also stiff; you'll need to use excessive force to move it, and it does make a nasty snap sound that will make your heart skip a beat. It's all good though, but yeah, it sounds worse than it actually is.

One technical gripe: the unpainted rear window. While it's accurate to the original toy, it's inaccurate to the cartoon model; the latter being the purpose of Studio Series. The toy is even designed to conceal the window in robot mode to create a green bottom for Brawn's backpack, which is also accurate to the cartoon. Given that they went to the effort to design this feature in Brawn's transformation, I strongly suspect that the rear window was meant to be painted but they probably ran out of budget. There's also sculpting for tail lights that are unpainted. It should be easily remedied with some bright blue paint or a sticker though.

I think this looks awesome!
    But I'm going to hold out for the inevitable Outback repaint.
    TF Figs of 2023:
    1) WnR Springer
    2) Legacy Bludgeon
    3) Legacy Leo Prime/Nemesis Leo Prime.

KELPIE is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Under a critical eye, he looks a little... dumpy. However no denying it's a fantastic figure.

Just another example why having the minibots at deluxe scale was an excellent choice.