Default Toy Review - CLOUDCOVER

G2 Universe CLOUDCOVER
    Series - Generations
    Sub-line - Legacy
    Hypo-line - Evolution
    Size/class - Voyager
    Wave - N/A; Toxitron Collection
    New/remould/redeco - Repaint of Earthrise Ramjet
    Released here - August 2023 (JB Hi-Fi exclusive)
    Approximate Retail Price - $55
    Approximate Size - 17cm
    Allegiance - Decepticon
    Alt-mode - Modified F-15 Eagle fighter jet
    Main Features/Gimmicks - Obscure reference
    Main Colours - blue & azure with black and yellow accents
    Main Accessories - x2 guns

I like how Hasbro has only applied the cloud camouflage pattern on the jet mode, and not on the robot mode as on the original G2 prototype. This is an improvement IMO. Is this toy worth buying? Honestly... only if this colour scheme or character appeals to you. Otherwise you might as well stick with Ramjet. The colours aren't much more or less realistic. Other than Gens Selects G2 Sandstorm, I don't own the ER Ramjet mould, so it's worth it for me. Plus I enjoy collecting new characters.

------------------------------------------
    Military history moment: early attempts at air camouflage for military aircraft included painting the undersides azure, with the upperside sporting ground camouflage; AFAIK military aircraft have never been entirely sky blue. However, pilots complained that this would make their planes stick out, as the blue on their aircraft would be darker than the blue on a clear daytime sky (due to the sun still being above the planes, thus the underside is always in shadow). So in 1941, this was abandoned in favour of painting military aircraft grey, which is a typical colour that we have today.

I'm not generally a big fan of G2 colour schemes in general, but this guy just POPS for me. It might just be because it reminds me a lot of an old Warhammer 40K army I painted once (complete with the square camo on the tanks). The little splash of yellow/black checkerboard keeps it from being too dull.

I know this is based on an old G2 proto but it's a shame that we're once again seeing the Ramjet wing designs. It would be nice to see the Dirge or Thrust wing designs given a run.

But I'm with Gok on this - I love collecting 'new' G1 characters, the soldiers who were just off camera doing their own thing. I'll happily keep buying up 'Seeker' molds if Hasbro keeps making them in cool colours.

EDIT: I should also mention that my copy has neat paint applications, and really nice tolerances - transformation to both modes is crisp and smooth, joints for posing are just on the right side of tight. Much better than my Sandstorm and G2 Ramjet, strangely.

Was never interested in the ER skeeker mold. For me its kinda mediocre. Articulation and transformation are both lacking. (Yep, IMO the Siege mold is far superior).
    However, I've been in love with Cloudcover from the first leaked picture, so I am very happy to finally have this.
    This deco is fantastic (figure looks great in hand / on the shelf). QC/paint/joints are all fine (tho I was expecting some mold degradation issues).
    I am very happy with Cloudcover.
    While my gripes about the mold itself have not changed, I will admit that it is a fun and quite playable (swooshable!) mold.

Now the important question: Does Cloudcover defect to the Autobots, and get some Wreckers (toyhax) labels on his wings?
    TF Figs of 2023:
    1) WnR Springer
    2) Legacy Bludgeon
    3) Legacy Leo Prime/Nemesis Leo Prime.

Quote Originally Posted by klystron View Post
    Was never interested in the ER skeeker mold. For me its kinda mediocre. Articulation and transformation are both lacking. (Yep, IMO the Siege mold is far superior).
    I personally don't love any of the WFC Voyager Seeker moulds to replace my Deluxe CHUGs. I do, however, definitely like them enough to get new characters like the Rainmakers, Sandstorm and Cloudcover. Oh, and I did get Coronation Starscream since I never had any of the MP Coronation Screamers... plus it was when I had CoViD, so... needed a pick-me-up.

Quote Originally Posted by klystron View Post
    Now the important question: Does Cloudcover defect to the Autobots,
    I've made a fan bio for Cloudcover here.

I like that bio!
    Funny how we both toyed with the idea of him defecting.
    TF Figs of 2023:
    1) WnR Springer
    2) Legacy Bludgeon
    3) Legacy Leo Prime/Nemesis Leo Prime.