Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help on buying laptop for under $1K in Melbourne

Quote Originally Posted by autobreadticon View Post
    my advice is get one with built in wifi , abg whatever frequeny every1 is using these days
    Bah, haven't you heard? Wireless is old technology, everyone is back onto wired now, it's all the rage

North Melbourne-bot...?

Quote Originally Posted by jacksplatt11 View Post
    Bah, haven't you heard? Wireless is old technology, everyone is back onto wired now, it's all the rage
    Everyone uses 802.11n mimo I think, although 802.11g is still popular.

Don't know much about laptops (or computers for that matter) but talking to former colleagues/clients over Christmas lunches and whatnot the indications are that there's approx. a 25-32% price rise (25% on the lower price range and 32% at the top of the range) in January so buying now would be a very good time.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

UPDATE:

As much to our surprise, me and my wife ended up buying a netbook instead.

The Story:
    On that rainy Saturday afternoon, we went to the nearest Officeworks in our area.
    We were eager to buy the Dell laptop which I mentioned in my first post.
    But when we were there, luck is not on our side. They don't have the laptop we wanted.
    We were told that we have to go to another branch which is a bit farther away coz other nearby stores don't have it.
    Whilst the weather is not doing well and it was 4pm that time, we decided not to pursue our hunt that day.
    Then When we're about to leave, I happen to pass by the netbook section and noticed one of the item has a big-marked price tag.
    It attracted my attention coz the price is almost half of the laptop we're looking for.
    I called my sister to ask if she would reconsider a netbook instead. Eventually she agreed.
    It was a white 10-inch Asus Eee PC 1000H. Just an ideal size and weight for a uni student, I said.

So the next day, I went to check that exact same model from other stores (Harvey and JB-Hifi).
    And found out that officeworks still sell it much cheaper ($599).

I havn't owned a netbook before. Funny I didn't expect netbooks don't have DVD-ROMs.
    I read a few reviews about it and it seems that many people are satisfied with its performance.
    Just hope my sister will like it.

Btw, I noticed that there are so many people shopping around for computers. Probably that is where they're spending most of their christmas bonuses.

Quote Originally Posted by autobreadticon View Post
    my advice is get one with built in wifi , abg whatever frequeny every1 is using these days
    Quote Originally Posted by Eruntalon View Post
    Everyone uses 802.11n mimo I think, although 802.11g is still popular.
    The box of the netbook I bought says Wifi 802.11b/g/n

Quote Originally Posted by STL View Post
    Don't know much about laptops (or computers for that matter) but talking to former colleagues/clients over Christmas lunches and whatnot the indications are that there's approx. a 25-32% price rise (25% on the lower price range and 32% at the top of the range) in January so buying now would be a very good time.
    I thought the best time to buy computers is during the tax season (June/July) where major retailers pull down the biggest discount sales of the year. I'm hoping the price would still be cheaper that time. I guess nobody could really tell..
    Latest Acquisitions: Metroplex
    Incoming: ROTF Buster Optimus Prime; FP Defender, Insecticons
    Needs List: Alternity Cliffjumper; TF Prime Bulkhead, Skyquake, Vehicons; Classics Sky Shadow, Junkheap

Quote Originally Posted by Wheel-J View Post
    UPDATE:

It was a white 10-inch Asus Eee PC 1000H. So the next day, I went to check that exact same model from other stores (Harvey and JB-Hifi).
    And found out that officeworks still sell it much cheaper ($599).
    Wow - you sure is the EEEPC1000H? I thought it was selling at $799! (Cheapest I found is at $749 on sales) Instead it's the EEEPC900HA which is selling at $599. You really did get a good deal if it's the EEEPC1000H!!

Quote Originally Posted by kay-al View Post
    Wow - you sure is the EEEPC1000H? I thought it was selling at $799! (Cheapest I found is at $749 on sales) Instead it's the EEEPC900HA which is selling at $599. You really did get a good deal if it's the EEEPC1000H!!
    Yup! Thats what it say...

If that's so, I'm surprised I got a good bargain. Officeworks do sell them last week at that price. I still have that catalogue with me. Which is now different from the catalogue they have now.

But just a few more clicks on OW website, you could still find that 10-inch "black" netbook at the same low price (sorry I couldn't make it link).

Latest Acquisitions: Metroplex
    Incoming: ROTF Buster Optimus Prime; FP Defender, Insecticons
    Needs List: Alternity Cliffjumper; TF Prime Bulkhead, Skyquake, Vehicons; Classics Sky Shadow, Junkheap