• Not even interested

0 0%

Thread: Toy Review - TRASHMASTER

Default Toy Review - TRASHMASTER

TRASHMASTER
    Series - Generations
    Sub-line - Legacy
    Size/class - Voyager
    New/remould/redeco - Retool/redeco of Siege Galaxy Optimus Prime (itself a retool of Siege Ultra Magnus)
    Wave - 7
    Released here - October 2023
    Approximate Retail Price - $60
    Approximate Size - 15cm
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Sub-Group - Junkion
    Alt-mode - dystopian rubbish truck
    Main Features/Gimmicks - Evo-Fusion modular play pattern; combines with other Evo-Fusion Junkions to form Junkasaurus
    Main Colours - brown, red, grey
    Main Accessories - claw-scoop, x2 clearance arms

I like this toy more in concept than execution, but admittedly it is because I've never been a big fan of modular Transformer figures. And I will concede that the Evo-Fusion TFs are better than previous modular TFs because they don't partsform like Weaponisers and Fossilisers. They transform like regular Transformers, but they just so happen to be able to be pulled apart to augment other figures... which is admittedly suitable for Junkions.

I do appreciate the more unique elements brought into Trashmaster's head design, particularly with the spiked helmet and Bulkhead-esque massive jaw (which itself was inspired by Crunch from Mighty Orbots). He's also a Mad Max-style stylised garbage truck rather than a more realistic looking one, but then again, that's always how the Junkions were portrayed in the Sunbow cartoon and Marvel comics. Not my thing; I prefer more realistic vehicles, but I get why they've done it. It also gives him visual consistency with the other Evo-Fusion Junkions that he can combine with (I haven't tried this yet).

I also like how Trashmaster adds more diversity to the Junkions with his rubbish truck alt mode. As well as being a neat nod to Animated Wreck Gar, it's also a first for the Generations/Universe Junkions. And it also follows on from the new Junkion vehicle types added by Scraphook (tow truck) and Axlegrease (muscle car), as well as Detritus (Jeep). I also do like how the robot mode makes Trashmaster look like a heavy-hitter, befitting of his larger alt mode. My only gripe is that the bonnet section of the vehicle doesn't seem to have anywhere to go in robot mode. It just hangs off the back over his buttocks.

I really enjoyed these new Junkions, scale issues aside. This guy is no exception, and is a big chunky lump of awesome.

I agree that the truck-butt is a bit chunky, so I just take those parts ad put them on the backs of the shoulders. It's parts-forming, but looks great that way.

His chunkyness is an immediate throwback to the Cybertron figures of old, however he doesn't quite have the same scale.

Kinda disapppointed by this guy overall. Wish the garbage truck scale was just a tad bit larger so he looks better against the deluxe vehicles, transformation is not terribly involved and he doesn't come with as much junkion jewelry as his theme-mates. Further to this he's not really that much fun in garbage truck mode with the dumpy arms really just being cosmetic though the rear hatch does have a chomper. Final kick in the guts is that the EVO-fusion gimmick works when you get Scraphook/Axelgrease to plug into Trashmaster but the reverse is not really possible. (i.e you can't put Trashmaster's truck grille onto the deluxes without forcing and locking the wheels so that they cannot rotate). I'd feel pretty ripped if I paid full rrp for this guy (as opposed to mildly ripped which I am right now).

I'm kinda with Gok on this one in that I like the concept more than the figure itself.

Sure I'm all for apocalyptic madmax Junkions, so much so that Detritus looks a little plain next to the rest of the crew. Trashmaster looks very cool and all and is very posey fun fun in robot mode. But its large size makes it hard to combine with the others and the fact that the torso and thighs are just a big dismembered chunk, leaving the shins and engine pieces as the only viable bits for armouring up others. Even then the placement of the pegs for the engine pieces means the wheels on that piece will often conflict with some other part of a figure, limiting the pieces even more.

So as a robot it's pretty nice, but as a modular fellow its kinda falls down in that respect.

Plus the engine bits hanging off the arse are ugly. The back of the shoulder pieces work ok, but can hinder rotation slightly.

Not exceptional, but not terrible either.