• Only if cheap

1 25.00%
  • Only if something else (specify)

0 0%
  • No

1 25.00%
  • Not even interested

0 0%

Thread: Toy Review - MIRAGE (Studio Series)

Default Toy Review - MIRAGE (Studio Series)

MIRAGE
    Series - Rise of the Beasts
    Sub-line - Studio Series
    Size/class - Deluxe
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Wave - 22
    Released here - October 2023
    Approximate Retail Prize - $38
    Approximate Size - 12.5cm
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode - Porsche 911 Carrera RS 3.8
    Main Features/Gimmicks - it's a licensed Porsche!
    Main Colours - silver, blue, gunmetal grey
    Main accessories - x1 gun

Note: This board has been glitching on me since yesterday. I am splitting this review into 3 parts, as it's not letting me do it as one.

Attention: I initially mistransformed Mirage's upper backpack, resulting in the headlights being too high up. Here are pics of Mirage with the correct transformation, but be aware that remaining photos of this toy in robot mode are mistransformed.

In box with casemate Nightbird.

Interesting to note that the box art still uses the earlier concept masked face.

Official licensed Porsche logo and holographic sticker!

It really has been a long road to getting this Porsche licence. Blah blah blah 20 year wait yada yada yada Binaltech Meister something something Volkswagen 2014 wah wah wah SS86 Jazz approximation blah blah potential Masterpiece Meister and Cliff if this toy sells well enough (hoping!).

Robot mode poses...

I'm really impressed with just how well balanced this toy is. I thought Studio Series Ultra Magnus was good, but Mirage is even better! As I mentioned in the SS Ultra Magnus review thread, low kicks really demonstrate just how well balanced a toy is because unlike high kicks, it can't rely on the upper body being rocked back as far to act as a counterweight. This is damn impressive!
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 15th October 2023 at 02:18 AM.

(Part 2)

Man, look at the insane detailing on the head! Not only do you get this gorgeous speckled metallic looking plastic, but the sculpting is pretty damn accurate to the screen model. They've even put in mechanical pupils on the eyes, a detail which I can't see with my naked eye but only in close up photos like this!

More robot poses. Note the incorrectly transformed upper backpack and compare it with the correctly transformed one above. If you are experiencing the same problem, make sure that you've yanked that roof panel back about 45 degrees. This will allow the headlight section to have enough clearance to go all the way down, as well as not obstruct head movement.

Vehicle mode pics.

Comes with New York slum backdrop.

Vehicle mode front

Yeah, the copious amount of panel lines is a bit unsightly, but also unavoidable due to the way this toy has to transform and look in robot mode. There are no unforgivable flaws here.

Vehicle mode rear

High angle shot

Close-up of the Autobot badge on the bonnet. I also can't see this with my naked eye (mind you, I do wear glasses so I don't exactly have the best eyesight ); only noticed it in pictures.

Comparison with mainline Mirage, vehicle mode.

Comparison with mainline Mirage, robot mode.

(Part 3)

Pros
    • Have I mentioned that this is a licensed Porsche?

• Gorgeous deco and insane attention to detail! This feels like a Movie Masterpiece made at a Deluxe budget

Cons
    • Transformation can be tricky. Instructions are useless. Emgo has made a JTI video for this toy, so I recommend checking it out if you get stuck.

Overall
    Much as with Nightbird, the Studio Series toy looks way better than the mainline figure, but its complicated transformation makes it less kid-friendly. Although I find Studio Series Mirage is still also fun to play with too (whereas I don't find SS Nightbird to be terribly fun to play with). This toy does have dark gunmetal grey tyres, which looks so much better than the silly light silver-grey tyres on the mainline figure (the one thing I dislike mainline RotB Mirage). Worth buying? Abso-trucking-lutely!

bought this figure knowing full well it would be a bit disappointing, but I wasn't prepared for just how much. There's just......nothing good here. Even the copious silver paint looks trash because of the panel lines, and the transformation will wreck it over time.

And you can only blame the Porsche license so much. They should have gone with the 'detachable backpack shell' option like they did with a couple of recent Arcees to get both modes right.