• Only if cheap

0 0%
  • Only if something else (specify)

1 25.00%
  • No

0 0%
  • Not even interested

0 0%

Thread: Toy Review - SEIZAN (Masterpiece)

Default Toy Review - SEIZAN (Masterpiece)

Trainbot SEIZAN (say "say-zahn")
    Series - Masterpiece
    Size/class - N/A
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Wave - MPG-05
    Released here - N/A (Japan, late September 2023)
    Approximate Retail Price - 22000JPY ($231)
    Approximate Size - 17cm (head); 21cm (w/ backpack)
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Sub-Group - Trainbot
    Alt-mode - Hakucho 485-200 limited express train
    Main Features/Gimmicks - HO scale train mode, combines with fellow MPG Trainbots to form Raiden (say "Rye-dehn")
    Main Colours - beige, maroon, grey, black
    Main Accessories - Brain Laser gun, x2 Raiden Cannons, x1 Light Sword, x2 railway track parts, flight stand connector

Pros
    * Looks absolutely gorgeous in both train and robot modes. Train mode is a scale-accurate Hakucho 485-200 train, and the robot mode is a good approximation of the cartoon model, carrying the primary colours of the train.
    * Good articulation. What is probably Raiden's elbow (I'm not transforming any of mine to their gestalt component modes until after I've completed the set) also provides Seizan with impressive abdominal articulation, allowing him to do ab crunches and other poses that most other TFs are capable of, such as the Super Hero Landing.
    * Lots of weapon choices; backpack antennae can become arm mounted cannon, Raiden cannons can become paired guns, and Raiden's Light Sword has a special tab that is designed to fit in Seizan's hands (and a separate tab for Raiden).

Cons
    * Backpack is prone to falling off. It only attaches with a single post; I feel that it needs an additional tab or post to attach it more securely to the back of the robot.
    * Rear collar limits head articulation.
    * Sticklers for cartoon-accuracy may find the following points contentious: (1) side panels behind arms exist (cartoon model's arms are kibble-free); (2) Additional panels on sides of legs exist (cartoon model has completely flush legs); (3) robot is prominently beige like the real-life train, whereas the cartoon model is yellow.

Overall
    The additional arm and leg kibble are unavoidable, because these are parts that exist on the train and have to go somewhere in robot mode. I can even overlook the more limited head articulation (because the head rests on a hinge that forms Raiden's wrist/hand); so there are functional reasons for these arguable drawbacks to exist. The one thing that I think they could've done better with is the loose backpack connection; I see no reason why that couldn't have been done better. But I can always just remove the backpack and set it aside if it bothers me; this allows the toy to have a more functionally playable albeit less visually G1-accurate looking robot mode. So at least there is a work around.
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 17th October 2023 at 10:06 PM.

This looks great. Can't wait for mine!

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister