0 0%
  • Only if something else (specify)

0 0%
  • No

0 0%
  • Not even interested

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - RATCHET (Studio Series 86)

Default Toy Review - RATCHET (Studio Series 86)

Autobot RATCHET
    Series - Generations
    Sub-line - Studio Series
    Hypo-line - The Transformers: the Movie
    Size/class - Voyager
    New/remould/redeco - redeco of Studio Series 86 Ironhide
    Wave - 22
    Released here - October 2023
    Approximate Retail Price - $45
    Approximate Size - 15cm
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode - Nissan Cherry vanette ambulance
    Main Features/Gimmicks - N/A
    Main Colours - white w/ red highlights
    Main Accessories - x2 guns

Note: Refer to the SS86 Ironhide review thread for comments about the original mould. This thread will focus on changes made.

A predictable unpaint by numbers redeco of Ironhide. His shoulders are tampographed with modified Star of Life logos that have had the Rod of Aesclepius (symbol of the Greco-Roman god of medicine) replaced with the Autobot insignia. Much like Ironhide, there is a distinct lack of decos on the sides and rear of the vehicle; no red stripes, unpainted rear windows and taillights.

Overall I enjoy this toy as much as Ironhide, so if you like Ironhide then this toy should please you too.

Hasbro are apparently calling the symbol on his shoulders Autobot Sign Of Life

Skip to 4:40

Quote Originally Posted by G1Optimal View Post
    Hasbro are apparently calling the symbol on his shoulders Autobot Sign Of Life
    AFAIK it's officially known as the Star of Life. But note that Hasbro has modified this logo, replacing the Rod of Aesclepius with the Autobot logo, so I guess they can call it "Sign of Life" since it's not the same logo anymore. As well as incorporating Ratchet's Autobot emblem into the logo, it wouldn't surprise me if it was also done to circumvent trademark. According to that Wikipedia page, while the Sign of Life isn't trademarked in the U.S., it is trademarked in some other countries. It makes sense for Hasbro to avoid trademark issues to make the product more globally sellable. I'm guessing that the Star of Life isn't as fiercely defended as the Red Cross (although unlike other medical logos, the Red Cross is globally used in times of war).

Last edited by G1Optimal; 27th October 2023 at 09:53 PM.

Yes, thank you, I am aware of what the Star of Life and Rod of Aesclepius are. I'd already linked to the Wikipedia page on the Star of Life in my previous post. I use the Roman spelling of "Aesclepius," whereas Wikipedia is using the Greek spelling of Asclepius (although the Romans did use both the Latin and Greek names for Aesclepius). The Rod of Aesclepius is the universal symbol for medicine, although some people incorrectly use the Staff of Hermes/Mercury instead. The difference being that the Rod of Aesclepius has only one snake and no wings, while the Staff of Hermes/Mercury has two snakes and a pair of wings. Star Trek is super guilty of this, but I've seen examples in real life where people mistakenly use it to. Typically from some private firms (e.g. logos on some medical centres, medical equipment etc.). Official bodies like the Australian Medical Association, World Health Organisation etc. all correctly use the Rod of Aesclepius, not Hermes. |

Anyway, it's a moot point since the Star of Ratchet just has the Autobot logo inside it.

Oh ok thought i would post links for others to be informed

and sorry I didn’t notice the links in your previous post so i deeply apologise for that

Oh ok thought i would post links for others to be informed

and sorry I didn’t notice the links in your previous post so i deeply apologise for that
    All good.

Oh is he available retail somewhere? I only just got Ironhide (the alive one) and adore him.

Quote Originally Posted by Choos View Post
    Oh is he available retail somewhere? I only just got Ironhide (the alive one) and adore him.
    I got mine from The Gamesmen here in Sydney (Penshurst). Not sure if any other retailers have stock yet. Ironhide came out a year ago (I got mine 360 days ago from today); but glad you could still find one!

edit:
    found a better way at your own risk to transform the difficult roof tranformation

https://youtube.com/shorts/w_Bj3wpKf...Pku26TP7ouCYzu
    Last edited by G1Optimal; 1st December 2023 at 09:20 AM.