• Only if cheap

1 25.00%
  • Only if something else (specify)

0 0%
  • No

0 0%
  • Not even interested

0 0%

Thread: Toy Review - OPTIMUS PRIMAL (Studio Series)

Default Toy Review - OPTIMUS PRIMAL (Studio Series)

OPTIMUS PRIMAL
    Series - Generations
    Sub-line - Studio Series
    Hypo-line - Rise of the Beasts
    Size/class - Leader
    New/remould/redeco - new
    Wave - 13
    Released here - October 2023
    Approximate Retail Price - $90
    Approximate Size - 17cm
    Allegiance - Maximal
    Alt-mode - cybernetic gorilla
    Main Features/Gimmicks - N/A
    Main Colours - black, silver
    Main Accessories - x2 swords, x2 chain pieces, TransWarp Key

Pros
    Really love the sculpting on this mould; looks great in both modes. There's even the scar on the right side of the beast head.
    Decos are also look great. I usually really dislike battle damage, but it's done well on this toy.
    I like how the chain allows for the swords to connect and be used as a flail weapon. This was seen in the teaser but not in the final cut of the film.
    Also like how his axe can be holstered on the hip.
    A more unique torso transformation; different from just a chest swap as with the mainline Voyager and Kakusei Optimus Primals.

Neutral
    The head features the open mouth face, which is briefly seen in the movie. I think it looks great and offers some diversity from the mainline toy with the battle mask. Some people might not like this, as they may prefer the toy to have the battle mask (which Optimus Primal spends most of his robot mode screen time having on). I do also like how this makes Optimus Primal look more distinctive from Optimus Prime; which is the very reason why Mainframe animators gave the original Optimus Primal cartoon model a mouth back in Season 1 of the Beast Wars cartoon.

Con
    The lower gorilla legs don't look as neat as on the other ROTB Optimus Primal toys. While the robot feet do tuck away a lot better than Kakusei Optimus Primal's, it's still not as good as mainline Optimus Primal which completely conceals the robot feet in beast mode.

Overall
    What this toy sacrifices in the lower leg design it more than makes up for with the rest of the toy. This Optimus Primal looks much more athletic and less "chonky" than his predecessors. Recommended.

SS Optimus Primal is a must buy, it is even better than SS RotB Optimus Prime.

Last edited by Deano85; 23rd October 2023 at 10:24 PM.

It's a beautifully detailed and articulate figure. I really like that the shoulders can hinge back in robot mode for some awesome weapons behind back poses.

Unpleasantly surprised how small the gorilla mode is on opening the box. I was expecting more.

The beast mode legs aren’t great and I found the beast feet very tight in transformation. .

The robot mode looks great; the colours and scuplt are all brilliant. It’s the superior mode