Thread: Toymate KOs

Default Toymate KOs

As you may have seen, some Toymates have started stocking KOs... so here's what I bought and what you can expect.

There were also some deluxe sized car/truck things but they looked awful.

First up is a helicopter for $8. I was pleasantly surprised by this. The transformation is simple, it's hollow and the plastic is thin - but I like the head sculpt, the weapons and the overall look. Proportions are a bit out but I don't think it's too bad.

It's about voyager size.

His guns can be arm-mounted but I prefer the hip-holstered look.

He can wield his tail assembly.

There is also a $50 oversized KO Combiner Wars Bruticus! It's about a quarter larger than the original.
    Three members are replaced. Blast Off is replaced with an oversized legends CW Seeker. Vortex is an oversized Highbrow. And Swindle is now a red robot I thought was an original mold but turns out it's a KO of something called a Tobots War Chief.
    As usual, the plastic is thin, they're hollow and transformation is simple. The Onslaught and Brawls have the same transformation, but Brawl's is simplified.
    Not a single figure has a rotating neck. Only Brawl has a waist. None of them have wrists.
    The 'deluxe' robots are voyager size.
    There was a good haul of weapons, and surprisingly the hand-foot-guns are fully functional.
    The gestalt has no elbows or knees and not much stability. Probably needed bigger versions of the HFGs.
    Brawl and the jet are the top two for me. Highbrow is unusual, Onslaught is a bit rickety but functional. Do not like the red one.
    The combiner pegs on the limbs are too small to be compatible for Combiner Wars torsos. I haven't tried CW limbs on the KO Onslaught but I doubt they would fit.

I also really liked the shiny backing board.

Might paint the jet's head. The wings are meant to fold up but to me they stick too much above his head.

Red guy's legs are unbelievably hollow. Brawl's turret can actually plug in a bit higher so it looks a bit better.

Last edited by snaketales; 9th December 2023 at 11:56 PM. Reason: fixed a couple of typos

That gunship is not bad. I might pick it up as it resembles the Apache Longbow, which I'm fond of.

Too bad the Bruticus is too different from the proper Bruticus. Otherwise, I'd get it and customise it.

I went to Toymate Cannington today and found them. I bought the helicopter (it comes in 2 shades - gold canopy with silver forearms/hands and the reverse). I might make a custom G1 Whirl.

So, I'm playing around with the helicopter and noticed there's a combiner peg that flips out.

The end of it rotates but was super stiff and was stressing the plastic, so I opened him up. There are two screws - at the chest and under the combiner peg.

(You can also pull apart the back of the head for eye custom painting at this step.)

I loosened the combiner peg by unscrewing its screw and found a ball joint will little nubs that can be flattened by rotating the ball in the loosened housing.

I don't have the Toymate combiner but maybe this helicopter can be an arm - it has 5mm ports on the bottom of each foot for no apparent reason except to fit a hand (not included).

I also prefer bending the elbows in alt-mode - very gunship now.

Still discovering stuff with this heli that's nowhere in the instruction picture. The main rotor blades can be pulled apart (not one molded piece) and rotated so they are in line - Legacy United G1 Whirl plan is coming together...

And the chain guns can attach to the tail assembly (tail and rotor is one molded piece btw) to make a mean anti-aircraft gun.

Nice find with the rotors!
    The copter’s combiner port looked the same as those in the KO Bruticus so I suspect it can be added (will check later)
    It’s definitely one of the better KOs out there

Quote Originally Posted by Skyfire View Post
    Still discovering stuff with this heli that's nowhere in the instruction picture. The main rotor blades can be pulled apart (not one molded piece) and rotated so they are in line - Legacy United G1 Whirl plan is coming together...

And the chain guns can attach to the tail assembly (tail and rotor is one molded piece btw) to make a mean anti-aircraft gun.

interesting mix here
    arms are t30 legends starscream
    body and legs i believe are part of the t30 minicon helicopter
    head is potp battletraps
    the gun on his shoulder is from cw hound/swindle

Toymate will not get in trouble for this?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxius._ View Post
    interesting mix here
    head is potp battletraps
    I thought I recognised the T30 Minicon in this, now I don't need to check it myself

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxius._ View Post
    interesting mix here
    head is potp battletraps
    It shares the same arms as the jet in the not-Bruticus box set, which looks like an upscaled T30 Legends Seeker

I also had a nasty thought - if I bought another box set, I could probably make a giant LioKaiser