OPTIMUS PRIME
Series - Transformers
Sub-line - Collaborative (Volvo Trucks x Transformers Optimus Prime)
Size/class - Leader
New/remould/redeco - Repaint of 2022 Holiday Optimus Prime
Wave - N/A
Released here - 2023
Approximate Retail Price - $95
Approximate Size - 17cm
Allegiance - Autobot
Alt-mode - Volvo VNR 300 truck w/ trailer
Main Features/Gimmicks - trailer door/shield compatible with A.I.R. Lock modular system
Main Colours - red, blue, silver/grey
Main Accessories - rifle, shield/trailer door, trailer, Combat Deck tower, Matrix

Disclaimer: I couldn't find any existing review thread for Holiday Optimus Prime (mods please provide link if it exists), so I'm going to review this toy as if it were a new mould - but I acknowledge that it is a repaint.

Like Lint, I'm also taking advantage of post-Holiday sales. I've listed the full RRP above though, but it is currently on sale on Amazon. I got mine from JB Hi Fi and had them price match Amazon.

While some parts and features may appear the same as other Generations Optimus Prime toys, this is actually an entirely new mould. The licensed Volvo VNR 300 mode is brimming with lots of realistic details. The transformation is refreshingly unique and is mostly unlike any other Optimus Prime toy I've ever transformed (except for the forearms/hands which transform like Legacy Laser OP (but are still original parts)). They've done fairly well in having this longnose truck transform into the iconic Optimus Prime robot form. The front part of the truck cab forms the back of the lower legs, which has the advantage of ensuring that they're out of the way; this contrasts with how the bonnet sections sit atop Legacy Laser Optimus Prime's shoulders and partially obstruct shoulder articulation (I understand that it's emulating the look of G2 Laser OP, plus it has the disadvantages of being a retool as opposed to being a wholly new mould). The slight downside is that the smokestack rests behind the right leg instead of behind the shoulder, although this truck only has one smoke stack so there's no way they could really emulate the two smoke stacks behind the shoulders look from G1 Optimus Prime. Considering that benefits of putting that smokestack out of the way, I think that the designers definitely made the right call. Unfortunately the fists are not sculpted to hold the Matrix and has no finger articulation to allow him to hold the Matrix.

Overall: I must admit that I initially skipped this toy not thinking much of it, but then I heard people saying that this figure exceeded their expectations, and it's certainly exceeded mine. This toy seems to be the quiet achiever of 2023 - seemingly released with little fanfare and no accompany media that I'm aware of. JB Hi Fi didn't even have this on shelves; it was in the back room and they only took it out for me upon request. So if you're looking for this toy at JB, don't give up if you don't see it in store - ask the staff. I recommend calling the store ahead.

The trailer is a nice repaint of the Earthrise trailer, but otherwise there are no physical changes made, and so it's hilariously undersized for a Voyager-sized cab robot (the trailer really is better scaled for a Deluxe figure). The blaster rifle is also the same as Earthrise figure. This toy has taken me by surprise, and I must say that there is more to VNR 300 Optimus Prime than meets the eye. Highly recommended.