Series - Studio Series
Size/class - Leader
New/remould/redeco - New
Released here -
Approximate Retail Price - $90

I've had Megatron for over three weeks now. I wanted to have more time on hand with it before I form an opinion.

The tank mode is solid. Aside from the tabs on the fusion cannon, the turret also locks together via a big tab and slot on the shoulders, which some people seem to have missed. The engineering is really straight forward but also does achieve a reasonably good end result. The tank is coherent and solid, where no parts will easily come loose. I love the overall Cybertronian flare to it, and how the red on the upper arms is showing on the turret. Do wish the treads could lock in position when pulled out though. Sam from Hasbro did admit in his Instagram post that their approach to these made up Cybertronian modes has had "some mixed success'', but this one I feel like being among the harder ones to do i.e. with no apparent vehicle kibble, is on par with the better executed BB Cybertronian charaters like Arcee and Brawn.

Jet mode on the other hand is quite disappointing. Engineering wise, I can kind of understand: they are working backwards from the 'bot mode, and here Megatron basically folds up the same way as Bay jet Megs or Prime Megs, but does much less with the arms; they just hang under there. Also the arms have these angled tabs to lock in on the body, but you have to use the elbow bend, bicep swivel and upper swivel to line it up to tab in, and it's not the most secure tab either. Also everything underneath the jet makes it forever tilting foward when it's laid on a flat surface, and this annoys me a lot. This mode is imho much weaker than the tank mode. It's great still that they made Megs a triple changer though.

The 'bot mode is of course where this figure shines. There's so much details crammed into this Voyager sized figure. We often under appreciate the mold sharpness and accuracy from TakTom, but it really shines here, especially with the gorgeous silver paint covering a lot of the figure. Compared to the ILM studio model Sam shared though, I do wish the head was slightly bigger. Articulation here is top notch, the butterfly joints and front to back ankle joint really elevate an already pretty unrestricted body.

The fusion cannon has a flip out panel with a 5mm peg on it, which does provide some versatility in terms mounting the cannon. One massive missed opportunity to me though, is the hands flip to reveal some pegs, but they are just a bit smaller than 3mm for no apparent reason? Or Megs could use his trusty chain mace similar to his G1 self (in the photos below I kind of faked the connection).

Overall, Megs is a good example of when HasTak do the Cybertronian characters with made up alt modes right. The 'bot mode looks incredible and poses like a dream (and this is coming from someone who's not a fan of the BB Movie head designs). Tank mode is solid for a mode made up of robot kibble, and jet mode is lackluster at best but still good to have the option.