• Only if cheap

0 0%
  • Only if something else (specify)

0 0%
  • No

0 0%
  • Not even interested

0 0%

Thread: Toy Review - HOIST (Masterpiece)

Default Toy Review - HOIST (Masterpiece)

HOIST
    Series - Masterpiece
    Size/class - N/A
    New/remould/redeco - Very heavy retool of Masterpiece Trailbreaker
    Wave - MP-58
    Released here - N/A (Japan, February 2024)
    Approximate Retail Price - 24200JPY ($245)
    Approximate Size - 20.5cm (head); 22.5cm (max wing height)
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode - Toyota Hi-Lux tow truck
    Main Features/Gimmicks - able to tow other MP Cars. Extendable arms. The Claw.
    Main Colours - green, amber and off-white
    Main Accessories - Claw arm, wrench, blast effect, left and right hands, creature mask, hammer, alternative face

I'm not feeling well atm so I'll come back and type up some comments when I'm feeling gooder. In the meantime, I'll let the pictures do the talking...

I thought it was a strange choice to give Hoist a cutaway roof, but it's screen-accurate - in the opening scene of Hoist Goes Hollywood and in one overhead shot of The Master Builders, Hoist was drawn with the cutaway roof.

After watching transformation videos of both Hoist and Trailbreaker, the term 'remould' or 'retool' doesn't seem appropriate and undersells how different Hoist is from Trailbreaker, even with 'very heavy' attached. At the risk of being pedantic, 'new mould with shared parts' seems more appropriate, since the two figures have very little common engineering. Without having both figures in hand, it seems like the only shared parts are the front of the truck, the wheels, and the doors. Are there any other common parts?

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    I thought it was a strange choice to give Hoist a cutaway roof, but it's screen-accurate - in the opening scene of Hoist Goes Hollywood and in one overhead shot of The Master Builders, Hoist was drawn with the cutaway roof.
    I agree, but as you said, it is accurate to the cartoon model.

After watching transformation videos of both Hoist and Trailbreaker, the term 'remould' or 'retool' doesn't seem appropriate and undersells how different Hoist is from Trailbreaker, even with 'very heavy' attached. At the risk of being pedantic, 'new mould with shared parts' seems more appropriate, since the two figures have very little common engineering. Without having both figures in hand, it seems like the only shared parts are the front of the truck, the wheels, and the doors. Are there any other common parts?
    Hands, wheels, front grill plates, wing mirrors, engine, maybe some internal parts. But yeah, Hoist definitely has way more new parts, so it is really like a new mould with some shared pieces from Trailbreaker. Even the transformation is mostly different.

This toy certainly isn't cheap. At $245, MP Hoist is the fourth most expensive Masterpiece that I've ever bought - it's the same RRP as MP10 Convoy. MP Hoist is one of the most expensive Transformers I've ever bought; certainly the most I've ever paid for a TF toy that's not a crowdfunded HasLab or Titan. Needless to say he's also the most expensive MP Car to date; being $25 dearer than MP Trailbreaker, but given that MP Hoist is really a new mould with some shared parts, that's actually a pretty decent deal. And with CHUG toys becoming more like Budget Masterpieces (which I mean as a compliment to CHUG), it makes sense for MPs to lean harder into being high end luxury toys for discerning adult collectors and further distinguish themselves contemporary CHUG toys. I guess I'm feeling the sting with MP Hoist more than I did with Trailbreaker because I've also just paid for MPG Kaen and Missing Link Convoy... a triple kick to my monetary janglies.

I quite like how the towing gimmick works in vehicle mode. The towing apparatus even has a functional wheel, as opposed to the solid immovable fake wheels on the G1 and Earthrise toys. The apparatus does lack articulation like on G1 Hoist, so don't expect him to make any turns while towing!

I remember reviews saying Trailbreaker was pretty fiddly and kind of fragile as per a lot of the recent MPs...how would you guys who have them both say Hoist compares sturdiness and transformation-wise?

I'm sort of tempted by the upcoming Riggorous but don't really enjoy the overly-elaborate transformations we seem to get these days. Really liked the Shogo Hasui post-MP10 era, those were a nice balance IMO.