View Poll Results: What's your interest in this one?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Will buy, no matter the cost!!

7 87.50%
  • Only if cheap

1 12.50%
  • Only if (some other reason)

0 0%
  • Will not buy.

0 0%
  • Not even slightly interested.

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toy Review - Convoy - Missing Link

I'm wondering if any 3rd party company will make a piece to hold Roller in place while in the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by reillyd View Post
    The only flaw I can see is that my roller comes without a light. I�ve seen lights in other people�s reviews, but couldn�t see a light in the instruction sheet either so maybe it doesn�t come with it after all, and its a 3rd party upgrade?
    I got confused by this at first too. The hole that the gun pegs into is actually a separate piece that swivels around revealing the light.
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

The only flaw I can see is that my roller comes without a light. I�ve seen lights in other people�s reviews, but couldn�t see a light in the instruction sheet either so maybe it doesn�t come with it after all, and its a 3rd party upgrade?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tha_Phantom View Post
    I got confused by this at first too. The hole that the gun pegs into is actually a separate piece that swivels around revealing the light.
    Yeah this, The area where you would plug the gas thingamajig has the light underneath it, you just need to rotate that piece and the light will be underneath. It might be a bit stiff. My Convoy is a tight fella.

He apparently has thigh swivels too, but mine are super tight. I hear if you losen the screws a tad, then you can access them swivels.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    Nothing in this toy couldn't have been done in the 80s, but would have made the toy more expensive (as it has today) due to part counts and there were things that just weren't done back then - like the ankle pivots and extra posability.
    Thanks. It is as I suspected, but sometimes the talk surrounding contemporary toys suggests it's all down to new tech. I'm reminded, however, of a special effects supervisor from 70s-80s movies who declared that they could do anything you wanted as long as they were given the right budget.

PROS: It's an articulated G1 Optimus Prime toy
    CONS: It's an articulated G1 Optimus Prime toy
    At the end of the day, that's what this toy is. It's the basically the original G1 Optimus Prime toy with articulation. If that sort of thing appeals to you, then go ahead and get this toy. But if that sounds rather dull to you, then give it a pass.

Other thoughts:
    * This toy works out to be roughly double the price of the original Optimus Prime, adjusting for inflation. This isn't a criticism of the price, it is very clear to see where the extra money has gone to; bigger budget means that this toy can do loads more than the original never could, but it also does mean bigger price tag. And this is why the original toy, which was aimed at children, could never be this expensive. This toy is aimed at adult collectors (box says "Ages 15+") with disposable incomes, so it's priced accordingly.
    * This is, at least for now, an orphaned toy. Aside from the cartoon coloured version, there are no other Missing Link toys for this figure to interact or display with. Having said that, Masterpiece MP01 was also an orphaned toy when it came out 20 years ago. Takara did market it as being compatible with Binaltech, and it was scaled accordingly, but it was the only MP that existed at the time. I hope that this will be the first of many more ML toys in the near future.
    * Missing Link might be the way forwards instead of reissues. HasTak seems to have hit the limit with reissues in terms of available moulds. All we get now are repaints of G1 toys that have been reissued before. If it's not viable/possible to build new G1 moulds from scratch, then how about Missing Link? Imagine getting a Missing Link Ligier which not only has an articulated robot mode, but a robust waist joint that won't snap! Going by ML Convoy's price difference w/ G1, a ML Ligier might cost just under $100... I think a lot of collectors would pay that. Imagine a Missing Link Wheeljack with built-in wings and spoilers. No need to worry about those teeny tiny back pegs breaking.

Piccies:

Front of box

Side of box

Back and other side of box

Foam tray and contents

Truck mode

With Diaclone pilot in driver's seat

Diaclone pilot

Comparison with G1 in truck mode

Robot mode comparison

Including Combat Deck and Roller

Robot mode pics

Energy axe

Matrix in Matrix chamber (both are removable)

Passing on the Matrix

Repair Bay mode

Comparative measurements
    Robot
    Height: Both 16cm / Width: Both 10cm / Depth: Both 5cm from front of bumper to back of arms in perpendicular position
    Truck cab
    Height: Both 7cm / Length: Both 12.5cm / Width: Both 6cm
    The front bumpers are both the same width (5cm), however, ML Convoy's bumper is 2mm shorter than G1's (9mm vs 1.1cm).
    Trailer
    L: Both 24cm / Height: G1 is 1mm taller (10.6cm vs 10.5cm) / Width: Both 7.6cm
    Truck mode (cab and trailer combined)
    G1 is 1mm longer than ML (31.6cm vs 31.5cm)
    Combat Deck
    Height: Both 20cm (to top of radar dish) / Length: Both 31cm (ramp down) / Width: G1 is 1mm wider (21cm vs 20.9cm)
    Roller
    L: Both 9cm / W: Both 5.4cm / H: Both 3cm without any attachments

no partsforming with the fists, which easily get lost as well.
    Funnily enough, it's the reverse situation for me. My childhood Optimus Prime toy was stolen in 2005, but at the time I had the fists stored separately and so the fists weren't stolen. So the only piece of my childhood Optimus Prime toy that I have left today are the fists! But you are right, lots and lots of kids did lose the fists.

and the blue colour of the original.
    My understanding is that the silver Roller came first, and the blue version was a running change. But having gotten Optimus Prime in August 1985, mine was the blue version, so that's more meaningful to me too.

The only flaw I can see is that my roller comes without a light.
    The back part of Roller, the part with the 5mm post that holds a rifle or the fuel nozzle attachment, flips over 180 degrees to reveal the strobe light.
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 8th March 2024 at 08:56 PM.