Thread: Transformers One

Default Transformers One

Official trailer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a09yJU-mCI

According to the Event Cinemas website, it comes out on 12/9.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Official trailer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a09yJU-mCI

According to the Event Cinemas website, it comes out on 12/9.
    Ugh. I don’t want to be THAT guy, but I’m getting a three best buds go on a road trip ride from Orion, Megs and Bee. It seems to be part comedy, and an entirely new genre for Transformers. It’s a big investment by Hasbro to cultivate a younger fan base, but I really couldn’t guess how it will screentest to the general public.

Do we get a sinking feeling in the pit of our stomach, or a bright optimism for a new direction in the franchise? I had thought it would be G1 animation not CGI, but maybe I misunderstood or got my hopes up
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

I'm excited for this movie. Nothing wrong with trying new things. People rightfully criticise Bayformers for repeating its own formula over and over again; and even though Bumblebee and Rise of the Beasts had new directors, it was still mired in the shadow of Bayformers with a lot of people refusing to watch them because they believed that it would just be the "same old Bayformers crap" all over again.

I was never expecting this movie to be cel animated, as hand-drawn cel animation has become expensive now; it's simply more cost efficient to use CGI (Japan seems to be the last holdout for cel animation). Even X-Men '97 is digitally animated, but done in a way that attempts to emulate cel-animation. I was expecting this movie to be CG animated in a more photorealistic way, similar to the non-Earth scenes in Bumblebee and Rise of the Beasts; but I suppose that would've been super expensive (the Cybertron and Maximal planet scenes were all brief). While the new direction may irk some of us oldies, new audiences won't care. It's similar to how people complained about Bumblebee being a muscle car when the 2007 movie came out; but then when Bumblebee came out, newer audiences complained about him being a VW Beetle!

There are some glimpses into some darker things in this trailer too, including:
    + Megatron's eyes turning red
    + Megatron discovering what I think are the remains of Megatronus/The Fallen
    + Sentinel Prime captured by a Quintesson
    + Starscream, Soundwave and Shockwave standing in front of a purple throne
    + A Decepticon branding iron

It is possible for comedy movies to still tell serious stories with important themes; e.g. Mrs. Doubtfire, The Truman Show, Dogma, The Life of Brian, Groundhog Day, Hot Fuzz etc. And there are animated comedies that deal with series issues, such as Up, Inside Out, Turning Red, Wall-E etc.
    At the end of the day, I don't mind if they delve into a new genre or use different animation styles; what I want to see is a good story!

I enjoyed this trailer

It does look like Hasbro's legit push into the mainstream family comedy genre. Not a bad idea if you're trying to capture the next generation of customers fans. Their forays into a darker universe have been lukewarm at best, sitting somewhere between too scary/violent for kids and too 1-dimensional for adults.

As my family is pretty much the target demographic here, I'm looking forward to this!

I didn't like the trailer, it came across as too jokey and too juvenile. It's definitely intended for a younger audience not those of us who grew up with G1. Sadly the trailer turned me off that much I won't be going to the cinema to see it. They should have stuck with what they did in ROTB & Bumblebee.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermot View Post
    I didn't like the trailer, it came across as too jokey and too juvenile.
    I don't mind that. It is possible for a movie to be comedic and tell a good story at the same time (e.g. Mrs Doubtfire).

It's definitely intended for a younger audience not those of us who grew up with G1.
    I'm still weirded out by Bumblebee swearing in that trailer. I'm not convinced that it's entirely for kids.
    To be fair, there hasn't been any movie that's aimed at G1 fans since 1986. Every movie since then has been aimed at attracting new fans, which is the only way that the brand can grow. Remember that Transformers toy sales increased by 200% after the first Michael Bay movie. This trailer is chock full of references to Generation 1 though. I could write a very long post listing the references, but I don't think anyone would read it. I'm sure someone has already made one of those "Trailer Easter Egg" videos that I never click on.

They should have stuck with what they did in ROTB & Bumblebee.
    Just out of curiosity (genuine question), did you see both of those movies in the cinema?

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I'm still weirded out by Bumblebee swearing in that trailer. I'm not convinced that it's entirely for kids.
    The G1 movie says hi.
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.