Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Thread: Has anyone seen this!!! (whitening yellowed plastics)

I have to say that I haven't tried this, but just wanted to give a word of warning.

If you see bubbles, it's probably a sign of a chemical reaction happening - either because the reaction creates gas, or because it creates heat, causing the H202 to boil.

So it's likely that not only are you bleaching the plastic, you're changing it's chemical structure.

As it was said, most-effective least-damaging (not no-damaging) method.

Hydrogen peroxide bleaches hair because it kills it (essentially). The plastics used in TFs are just another (albeit slightly more complex) form of carbon-chain structures. So, knowing what it does to hair, you've got to think carefully about what it is doing to your treasured TFs.

Just thought I should throw that word of warning in.
    Last edited by Seraphim Prime; 13th June 2009 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim Prime View Post
    I have to say that I haven't tried this, but just wanted to give a word of warning.

If you see bubbles, it's probably a sign of a chemical reaction happening - either because the reaction creates gas, or because it creates heat, causing the H202 to boil.

So it's likely that not only are you bleaching the plastic, you're changing it's chemical structure.

As it was said, most-effective least-damaging (not no-damaging) method.

Hydrogen peroxide bleaches hair because it kills it (essentially). The plastics used in TFs are just another (albeit slightly more complex) form of carbon-chain structures. So, knowing what it does to hair, you've got to think carefully about what it is doing to your treasured TFs.

Just thought I should through that word of warning in.
    Thanks for the warning but the percentage of actual Hydrogen peroxide that you can buy in Australia is so low per bottle that we are yet to see considerable damage if any.

I had Galvatron legs soaking for well over a week in bright sunlight with it covered in bubbles for most of the day time and its structural integrity was not compromised but much of its yellowing was gone. Yeah the bubble are caused exactly by what you indicate as there is a form of chemical reaction happening there but its consequences are not visibly negative, on the contrary.

The real down side that I see with this method is that even if you succeed 100% in regaining the original color back - The plastic is a lot more prone to yellowing again. That happened with my Dogfight a couple of months after I pulled him out and was well away from sunlight.

i read the whole thing lol..
    very interesting

Quote Originally Posted by G1Optimal View Post
    I don't know if this is of interest and apply to plastics used in toys...
    but, i thought i would post the link anyway.

Why Super Nintendos Lose Their Color: Plastic Discoloration in Classic Machines

The fact is that TFs from 1987 & 1988 are especially prone to this - Dogfight, Needlenose, Slugslinger and Triggerhappy are great examples. The grey plastic used on many Decepticons of this era is especially prone - which is why Needlenose & Slugslinger have so many problems ):

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

So this thing works but only temporarily??? Kup did your dogfight go back to the original yellow? Did anyone else who whited their transformer experience the same thing with their transformer? please let us know

TheDirtyDigger Guest

I've done a Seaspray, Red Alert and Getaway. Still all good.

Quote Originally Posted by primatives View Post
    So this thing works but only temporarily??? Kup did your dogfight go back to the original yellow? Did anyone else who whited their transformer experience the same thing with their transformer? please let us know
    Nah, the figures I have treated hasnt yellowed again ...yet but then I am aware now this time how to avoid ( sunlight exposure) or belay the process . My collection room only gets bright light but no direct sunlight. My figures yellowed before coz I left em quite exposed back in Phils and my mom didnt know about the sunlight factor. When I came back to collect them last year I was quite surprised to find that the shut wooden window where the collection was facing in my old room was changed into a translucent glass one making my room all bright and sunny for about 2 years to the day I got back which hastened the process, luckily this process has proven to impede it .... for now.
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]