Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone seen this!!! (whitening yellowed plastics)

TheDirtyDigger Guest

Yeah just called hydrogen peroxide. I've seen it sold in a brown bottle but I can't remember the company bottling it.
    Women do this stuff. You know the really, really blonde girls you see? Marilyn Monroe even used to put it on her nether regions to be blonde all over.

Keep in mind that the yellowed plastic would already be weak and likely to be brittle. I have no problem of getting rid of a thin layer of the surface. But chances are the chemcial goes in much deeper than that, and would have long term effects inside the already weak and brittle plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Keep in mind that the yellowed plastic would already be weak and likely to be brittle. I have no problem of getting rid of a thin layer of the surface. But chances are the chemcial goes in much deeper than that, and would have long term effects inside the already weak and brittle plastic.
    Yeah that is why I am going to try it on junker parts first to see how it goes. My Dogfight looks like he didn't survive the battle against Unicron so I will see if I can reignite his spark. He doesn't have much to loose and a lot to gain

I thought he mentioned that you have to buy a special mix of it and on the 2nd page i think he listed some retailers. I'd follow those links to get a clearer description of what you need before running off to the supermarket.

I'm super keen to see your results though!

Sounds like he doesn't mix anything himself the acids he buys already has 25%-30% of the hydroger peroxide. I assume that no supermarket would sell concentrations of it so chances are that it will be that amount too.

It is interesting, it almost seems as he is making it up as his results look so superb, particularly that Fort Max on the second page.

If this works, its a revolution of sorts in toy restoration and the dude and his friend deserves the Transformers version of a Nobel price!

To prevent any serious damage to the plastic I would probably further dilute the supermarket bleach. Its a good idea to monitor your parts regularly and remove them the moment the bleach has removed all colouration. The longer it's in there the more unnecessary damage there will be to the plastic.

Alright boys and girls. I have gotten the chemical and I am ready to place poor old Dogfight inside a home made CR tank.

Hopefully he will emerge looking like a newly protoformed 'con. Pray to Primus that he doesn't disolve inside the CR Tank!

Dogfight is in the CR Tank and awaiting sunrise tomorrow.

With a bit of Energon and a lot of luck, he should be nice blue tomorrow

Or white heheheh. Am keeping tabs on this, Ive got 4 bots on the line up for restoration of their colors.
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Quote Originally Posted by liegeprime View Post
    Or white heheheh. Am keeping tabs on this, Ive got 4 bots on the line up for restoration of their colors.
    Yeah it opens a lot of possibilities if it works. The_Damned is having some good success with white colors so I guess this is the 'colored plastic test'.

I noticed that in the photos, the camera flash makes Dogfight look less yellowed than he actually is. He is (was, I hope ) in much worse condition than the pics let on.