Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ROTF Devastator a Hexocon?

Default ROTF Devastator a Hexocon?

Okay. I have been thinking about this for a while. I think ROTF Devastator is a Hexocon, like a Duocon, but made out of six. That is, he is one robot which turns into multiple vehicles. A similar example is Magmatron.

While this is not perfect, consider this:
    [SPOILERS, I guess]

1. The specific vehicles are not seen in robot modes.
    2. At the same time as Devastator's fight, Rampage is named by Starscream in the battle in the village, and seen in robot mode.
    3. Mixmaster is seen in the battle at the village in his robot and third "weapon" mode (consistent with the Voyager toy).
    4. Long Haul is seen in the village battle in robot mode.
    5. When Devastator gets hit, he comes apart and stays that way, when from the look of the hit parts of him (if they indeed had robot modes) could get up and continue as they were not hit directly.
    6. I think the names ascribed to them on the toy are just to try and connect to G1, nothing more.
    7. I would be more comfortable with this if the cement truck part of Devastator (in the movie) did not have the Decepticon logo on the barrel and the Decep-dog on the bonnet. The toy does not have the logo (neither the Devastator toy nor the Voyager of Mixmaster/cement truck have the Decep-dog), which works for me.

What do you think?
    MP-05 legal acquisition process:

www.megatron.net.au

My collection and stuff for sale:

www.csapo.com.au/ttf/tiby'stransformers.htm

Yes, totally agree, the movie suggests nothing else.

So the only "live" decepticon in Devastator would be Scavenger. He was the one who transformed and grabbed the other construction equipment. So in reality, he is controlling Devastator, or in fact, becomes Devastator after combining with other vehicles. Does this sound right?

100% agree.
    Soundwave superior. All others inferior!

Quote Originally Posted by jaydisc View Post
    +2
    +3.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

Quote Originally Posted by shokwave2 View Post
    So the only "live" decepticon in Devastator would be Scavenger. He was the one who transformed and grabbed the other construction equipment. So in reality, he is controlling Devastator, or in fact, becomes Devastator after combining with other vehicles. Does this sound right?
    Possible. Not quite how I thought of it, but "Scavenger" could be the main control unit, or "brain" of Devastator with the others being subservient. If "Scavenger" came alone into a group of the other vehicles and "All-Sparked" them somehow, I would be more convinced that he was in charge. But most of the vehicles (except the off-highway truck/"Long Haul" I think) entered the area together with "Scavenger".

Using the Magmatron analogy, each of the beasts have Magmatron's consciousness, rather than individual brains like the G1 Constructicons. Another example might be G1 Optimus Prime, with Prime, Roller and the trailer all sharing Prime's consciousness. I understand this is how the Duocons work too.

Where the "Scavenger" part of ROTF Devastator looks to be in control in the way he combines on screen, I think has more to do with being a "realistic" merging, rather than all the parts floating or flying into place, like they do in the cartoons. The cables etc mean there does not have to be any anti-gravity or energy beams involved.

In summary then, I prefer the Optimus Prime/Magmatron model, where ROTF Devastator's consciousness in vehicle mode(s) is spread between them all.

Thanks everyone for responding! I was starting to spend an unhealthy amount of time going over this over and over again in my head!
    MP-05 legal acquisition process:

www.megatron.net.au

My collection and stuff for sale:

www.csapo.com.au/ttf/tiby'stransformers.htm

I did think about this after watching the movie - and I thought that it was a cheesy way to justify the Constructicon Devastator toy (not enough to make me wanna buy it though). Of course, it doesn't rule out that the component Constructicons could be separate Transformers too - just that we didn't see them transform to robot mode in the movie. Either way is possible... go with whatever makes you happy.

I think a precedent example of this is Energon Optimus. You have the main concious unit (Optimus/Scavenger) which uses several drones to form the robotic mode. The only difference is that the Scavenger toy doesn't have its own robot mode, and the Energon drones were a lot more simplistic.

Quote Originally Posted by shokwave2 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I did think about this after watching the movie - and I thought that it was a cheesy way to justify the Constructicon Devastator toy (not enough to make me wanna buy it though). Of course, it doesn't rule out that the component Constructicons could be separate Transformers too - just that we didn't see them transform to robot mode in the movie. Either way is possible... go with whatever makes you happy.
    Pretty much the way I imagined it too. There was one 'master' robot and the rest were made slaves once gestalt transformation began. I would have to watch it again but I seem to remember Scavenger chaining in the other constructicons to merge them together across the entire body rather than having one robot for each limb etc as in G1. The other constructicons didn't seem to happy about it. Would explain why the separate units couldn't get up after being hit by the rail-gun too.

Or maybe I'm just over-reaching.
    Which brings us to where we are today...