Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Batteries in MISB Toys

batteries taste funny

*blows dust off thread*

Last night I finally stopped procrastinating and went about removing batteries from my battery-operated TFs. Last night I spent about an hour checking for and removing batteries from all my G1, G2, BW, BM and CR/RiD Transformers. This morning I spent about 3.5 hours checking for and removing batteries from all my other Transformers except for my planetformers, movie and Animated TFs. I think that goes to show how much Hasbro's really gone nuts with making battery-operated TFs... the fact that it only took me an hour to remove batteries from 18 years' worth of toys (1984-2002), yet 3.5 hours to check for and remove batteries from four years' worth of toys (2003-2007). (-_-)

Anyway, here's 4.5 hours' worth of battery removal...

And the worse case of physically visible corrosion was on the batteries inside my Fire Convoy:

...fortunately the electronics in that toy still works.

So what were the casualties of my years of neglecting to bother removing batteries?
    + The Beast Wars Volcano base's electronics are possibly damaged. I actually removed the battery from that ages ago but I don't have a C-size battery on me to test it. I suspect that it is broken though.
    + The base for Energon Bulkhead's electronics are damaged.
    + Energon Scorponok's electronics are damaged
    ...otherwise the electronics in all my other toys still work fine. Some of them I'd previously thought were broken because they had stopped working, but when I changed batteries they would work - so I discovered that some batteries had just run flat (or in the case of Fire Convoy, corroded) - possibly dry leaked... but fortunately without damaging the electronics.

I left the batteries inside Armada Thundercracker on purpose. The three Armada Seekers all have the exact same electronic gimmick so I left Thundercracker with his batteries so whenever I feel like demonstrating the gimmick to someone I'll just use him. If the batteries do end up leaking and damaging the gimmick, it's not a huge deal as Starscream and Skywarp have the same thing anyway.

The good batteries are now all in storage and the bad batteries have been thrown away.

I can fix corrosion from leaking batteries - That's easy. I think that I fixed either yours or Dirge's Omega Supreme which had a similar problem.

It's very random when these batteries decide to leak. When I bought my G1 Shockwave, the 9v battery in him was clearly as old as the figure itself and aside from having gone pretty flat it never leaked.

Fun School Holidays for you Gok?

I remove the batteries from all my toys once I hear the sounds a couple of times.

It is my extreme reaction to an Energon Scorponok who decided that 2am was the perfect time to constantly repeat his noises.

I now never have to worry about running out of watch batteries!
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post
    Fun School Holidays for you Gok?

I remove the batteries from all my toys once I hear the sounds a couple of times.

It is my extreme reaction to an Energon Scorponok who decided that 2am was the perfect time to constantly repeat his noises.

I now never have to worry about running out of watch batteries!
    Haha I had the similar situation with my G2 Megatron Tank.
    Every so often he decided to "fire" his lasers and even once or twice we wanted to go on the "attack"
    One early morning I decided to rip those batteries out.

My figures are all in storage now, which probably isn't good for he batteries, but hopefully soon I shall move and they will be able to breathe fresh air.
    And remove the batteries of course

hahaha, i aways rip out all my batteries, tape them up and then label where they came from... early signs of OCD perhaps?

I also disconnect all missiles from the spring loaded launchers as the springs loose their stiffness whilst under constant compression over long periods of time...

I would suggest only keeping MISB toys that dont come with any batteries or at least come with those plastic pull tabs to prevent discharge under storage....
    Otherwise, open them up and put them back in box (BIB??) to ensure they wont leak and still maintain MINTY freshness.

Unless you are investing, then theres no real difference to the toy between a perfect MIB thats been put back in box and a MISB if you handle things correctly.

MV75 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

So how about spending 10 hours writing up a list of the toys that do have batteries and what type of battery Gok?

Could be a useful resource to those that may overlook a figure with batteries in it. The button batteries should be fine to leave, it's the "regular" AAA, AA, C, etc batteries to worry about.
    Code:
    O o 
      _
     / --------------------------------
    |      IMMA FIRIN MA LAZAR!!!
     \_--------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by MV75 View Post
    The button batteries should be fine to leave, it's the "regular" AAA, AA, C, etc batteries to worry about.
    No, Im afraid the button batteries can still cause damage over time... Or at least this has been true for some secondhand TFs that i have bought with button batteries...

Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks
    Heh, that gimmick is pretty darn annoying. Ditto G2 Megatron (although after a while you get used to handling him without setting off his sound gimmick). When I discovered that EN Scorponok's gimmick was no longer working properly, I just thought to myself, "No great loss there." For some odd reason, my internal monologue voice sounded like Jack Black at that exact moment. Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by bruticus
    Otherwise, open them up and put them back in box (BIB??)
    It would be MIB (Mint In Box): i.e.: a toy that's in mint condition in an unsealed box.

Quote Originally Posted by bruticus
    Quote Originally Posted by MV75
    The button batteries should be fine to leave, it's the "regular" AAA, AA, C, etc batteries to worry about.
    No, Im afraid the button batteries can still cause damage over time... Or at least this has been true for some secondhand TFs that i have bought with button batteries...
    Me too. I wasn't sure about this, so I looked it up on the web and apparently watch batteries can leak if they're left in a watch that's not on. i.e.: watch batteries in watches usually don't leak because they're in constant use. Watch batteries left in an inactive toy over an extended period of time may leak. They probably have a less chance of leakage, but I'm not willing to risk it.

Having said that, 100% of toys I opened with watch batteries still have fully functioning electronic gimmicks, including my oldest TF with watch batteries - Laser Optimus Prime. I've never taken the batteries out of that toy and the gimmick still works fine. Those batteries would've been sitting in that toy for over 13 years now. But yeah... better safe than sorry.