Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Batteries in MISB Toys

Default Batteries in MISB Toys

I have an MISB 20th Anniversary Prime and am worried about battery acid leakage.

Can anyone give any information on whether battery leakages are common or preventable?

Because of this concern, I have been hesitant to purchase battery-operated toys since i intend to leave most of my toys MISB.

The only way to be sure is to remove the battery. If you never plan on opening these toys then does it matter to you if the batteries leak and damage the electronic gimmicks if you never intend on opening them?

I think this thread has most of what has been discussed about MISB toys, MISB collectors and batteries in toys

http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=575

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    The only way to be sure is to remove the battery. If you never plan on opening these toys then does it matter to you if the batteries leak and damage the electronic gimmicks if you never intend on opening them?
    It'd probably matter if he wants to allow for the option of selling them if he ever needed to, or openning them one day. Not sure about how the batteries affect the plastic of the toy, but it'd most likely damage the electronic gimmick (as it did with my BotCon 2001 Arcee ). But then again, if you have people buying the sealed toys in 10, 20+ years time, they can't complain about something that they should accept as being a standard issue with SEALED toys. If they want a guaranteed undamaged toy, they need to buy one that isn't sealed.

I've had quite a few toys' gimmicks damaged by battery leakage because I'm far too lazy to take batteries out. It doesn't create any visible damage at all... most batteries "dry leak" now so it's not like the old days when you'd have battery acid leaking out of your Walkman.

I really should take the batteries out of my toys (my wife tells me I should too). Hrmmm...

Most MISB'd battery toys have a plastic sliver that disconnects the battery from the circuit so it doesn't get depleted while it's still in the box. If the battery doesn't get depleted it wont start leaking. As Gok said, most modern batteries dry leak so it wont drench your toys in acid.

The best thing you can do to stop batteries from leaking prematurely is to make sure your toys arent exposed to high temperatures or temperature changes (the perfect conditions would be to be mildly refridgerated )
    All batteries do have an ultimate use by date though and will deplete themselves naturally. (probably in 10+ years?)

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    It'd probably matter if he wants to allow for the option of selling them if he ever needed to, or openning them one day. Not sure about how the batteries affect the plastic of the toy, but it'd most likely damage the electronic gimmick (as it did with my BotCon 2001 Arcee ). But then again, if you have people buying the sealed toys in 10, 20+ years time, they can't complain about something that they should accept as being a standard issue with SEALED toys. If they want a guaranteed undamaged toy, they need to buy one that isn't sealed.
    Nah, I don't buy TFs to invest. Just prefer some of my toys minty, especially those intended to be displayed within their diorama boxes.

If there's a high likelihood that battery acid would ooze out of my OP's chest, i'd rather open up the box.

Does the 20th Anniversary OP battery compartment have plastic slivers in them to prevent battery depletion?

Thanks for the link, iceburn.

Not sure about 20th Anniv Op, but if its the same as the Masterpiece Prime, nope it doesnt have them plastic slivers.

Quote Originally Posted by High_Q View Post
    Nah, I don't buy TFs to invest. Just prefer some of my toys minty, especially those intended to be displayed within their diorama boxes.

If there's a high likelihood that battery acid would ooze out of my OP's chest, i'd rather open up the box.

Does the 20th Anniversary OP battery compartment have plastic slivers in them to prevent battery depletion?

Thanks for the link, iceburn.
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

always wanted to know how mint collectors solved this problem

also u get new batteries for the remote etc

i have like 12 laying around lol

Quote Originally Posted by Autocon View Post
    always wanted to know how mint collectors solved this problem

also u get new batteries for the remote etc

i have like 12 laying around lol

Easy - by avoiding battery-operated toys with batteries already included in the battery compartment.

Unfortunately, these days, most Supreme and Voyager classed TF's fall into this category.