Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Revoltech

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Cos he can't draw? (oh snap!)
    Well, he can put a pen to paper so... evidently, he can draw... Perhaps, you should say, he can't draw well?

North Melbourne-bot...?

Or he has no idea what a truck is supposed to look like?

While I'm not a fan of Pat Lee as a human being his art was decent enough. Not the best of the IDW artists but still very solid. I had serious issues with his storytelling too as always think of that sequence between Superion and Devastator and how poorly it was thought out.

That said, you have to give him credit. He took the TF licence and was instrumental in the franchise's success as a comic series. All of his series and issues averaged around the 60K mark. The current comics don't even come close to that. I think he's an abominal human being and have nothing but contempt for him but I think that allegations that are constantly made against him that he cannot draw or is a pathetic artist are unfounded and fail to objectively view his contribution.

It's all relative as to who is a good artist and a bad artist. Different artists have different styles too and that means that one style might appeal to you and another may not. If at least 60K worth of fans warmed to him once upon time and Marvel Comics and DC comics, and Image Comics hired him he can't be a clueless hack. There's a difference between not liking a person and objectively viewing a person's achievements and I feel that that distinction by many fans cannot be made.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

Some piccies of the non-Transforming stuff I have on display:

(I started with the Revoltech but seeing as we got a bit onto statues and whatnot I did the full round up of my bedroom. I tried Revoltech Hot Rod 5 times but it just kept on being blurry so he's noticeably absent but he's always on my desk, ready for a little twiddle.)

Revoltech Starscream

Revoltech Megatron

Overall display shot:

Optimus Prime corner

The Matrix & G1 Robot Heroes

Hardhero Rhinox

Metalverse Hot Rod

Diamond Select Jazz

Diamond Select Reformatted Megatron

Diamond Select Omega Supreme

With all of the statues, I'm pretty selective. They have to be favourite characters or very displayable. And they have to be able to be put on display. On top of that they really have to capture the character very well for me. So yes, I think investing in non-TFing TFs is a good thing. Of course, its always going to be secondary to the toys themselves but if u have extra $$$ some are great visually and some have great play value too

As you can see, the Revoltech, even if you aren't playing with them add to the overall feel of the room. As Tetsuwan pointed out above, they are just full of life and vitality and add that spark to your display unlike static G1 toys which as great as they are are dull and lack personality. I'm not saying they're better mind you but they definitely spice up the room. It's a pity I couldn't get that image of Revoltech Hot Rod working b/c its very dynamic and lots of fun. He's always on my desk and I'm always fidgeting with him. So Revoltech along with statues and busts and whatnot have the potential imo to boost the displayability of a collection.

Among my other wants are probably the Unicron statue at some point. I'd really like that. Great representation and lots of presence about it.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

I've replied to the comments about Pat Lee's art here

I can put pen to paper and draw a stick figure, therefore I can draw... No, it's not good, but I can draw. I can also draw a box, and a damn good one at that

North Melbourne-bot...?

thank you Gok, for putting my thoughts of why I HATE Lee's style into something that isn't an angry mess. good job!

A little to the left... a little bit more...

Quote Originally Posted by Gutsman Heavy View Post
    thank you Gok, for putting my thoughts of why I HATE Lee's style into something that isn't an angry mess. good job!
    +1

I have no respect for Pat Lee (as an artist or a person)!

Quote Originally Posted by jacksplatt11
    I can put pen to paper and draw a stick figure, therefore I can draw... No, it's not good, but I can draw. I can also draw a box, and a damn good one at that
    You'd still be a better artist than Dwayne Turner.

"Dwayne Turner's art is utterly diabolical - there's a vague stab at Bill Sienkiewicz-esque expressionism, but Turner really doesn't have the goods to pull it off, and it just looks muddy and drab." (tfarchive.com)

Oh yeah, that's rubbish compared to my stick figures and squares... I might even try a triangle, if I'm feeling risky enough

North Melbourne-bot...?