Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek Movie

Quote Originally Posted by roller View Post
    i would like a series that is not le crap like the finale of Voyager, and the touchy feely out of continuity half the time 'Enterprise'

I think they should get new writers then Brannon and Braga or watever there called

and make it appeal to a massive audience, First Contact style

and enough of the same old tired story lines!!!!

Its always the same with Star trek

"we gotta have a black, an asian, a white man and a alien on the bridge"

look at every series, im not wrong

Pike 4 ever!!!!
    That's the Star Trek formula in a nutshell, that and exploring strange new worlds and banging alien girls (If your Kirk).

Instead of making Enterprise they should have gone further into the future with the time police or what not.

And this Star Trek has new writters so maybe it will have the mass appeal of First Contact, I dunno the thing about Star Trek is it's a serial TV show, it works well as a serial but on the bigscreen it often winds up looking like a long Tv episode with slightly fancier effects.

But your right about them needing to do something new, Deep Space Nine is my favourte Star Trek simply because it broke more Star Trek rules than the others.

There was a former Home and Away star in Star Wars too! He was in The Matrix too. I don't watch Home & Away but I only know about this guy because he used to co-star with an ex-classmate of mine. (-_-)

Enough with the Star Wars talk in a Star Trek thread

I'm personally not a big fan of the Universal Translator... I would prefer it if non-human species just spoke their own languages with subtitles and folks just had to learn to be multilingual, like in Star Wars, Lord of the Rings etc. Heck... even humans have multiple languages! I find it difficult to imagine that the entire Vulcan or Klingon races would have just one language. In Middle Earth there are various different dialects of each language, e.g.: there are various kinds of Elvish tongues such as Quenya and Sindarin.

Okay - so even if one were to suspend disbelief and accept the notion of a circuit that conveniently translates languages... why would their lips move as if they're speaking English? Even the Star Trek Wiki entry on the Universal Translator states, "Were the device real, it would more likely have an effect similar to watching a movie dubbed into another language."

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I'm personally not a big fan of the Universal Translator... I would prefer it if non-human species just spoke their own languages with subtitles and folks just had to learn to be multilingual, like in Star Wars, Lord of the Rings etc. Heck... even humans have multiple languages! I find it difficult to imagine that the entire Vulcan or Klingon races would have just one language. In Middle Earth there are various different dialects of each language, e.g.: there are various kinds of Elvish tongues such as Quenya and Sindarin.

Okay - so even if one were to suspend disbelief and accept the notion of a circuit that conveniently translates languages... why would their lips move as if they're speaking English? Even the Star Trek Wiki entry on the Universal Translator states, "Were the device real, it would more likely have an effect similar to watching a movie dubbed into another language."
    Yes it would look like a dubbed movie and in Enterprise (where the technology was new) we saw this. The people of the 24th Century probably learn major alien languages at school anyway.

As for your examples it would not be logical for the Vulcan's to have multiple dialects and the Klingon's are united under a line of Emperors who have probably enforced a single language on their people by force since Kahless.

If you can believe that Han Solo can understand the big bear* that's following him around I don't see why you can't handle this. *(How I Met Your Mother reference)

If you don't like Star Trek fine, but no need to keep complaining about it in a thread which is about Star Trek. Any more and it's trolling.
    Last edited by Paulbot; 3rd February 2009 at 08:11 PM.

i hope Lord zeds favorite captain, Captain Archer shows up in the movie

he does live to over 120

and i assume this movie will feature the Enterprise launch

and 'in a mirror Darkly' it states that he attended the launch

fan boying is fun

That's just Gok being a language teacher, We could all poke holes in both the Star Wars and Star Trek universe all day, but that would be better on a thread of its own.

And just for the record the universal translator failed in the TNG episode Darmok where the aliens spoke in a metehorical langauge. Spotlight Wheelie reminded me of that episode a lot.

i hope Lord zeds favorite captain, Captain Archer shows up in the movie

he does live to over 120

and i assume this movie will feature the Enterprise launch

and 'in a mirror Darkly' it states that he attended the launch

fan boying is fun
    I hear you Roller, I'm sure Captain Sisko will be in the film to, once again saving that fool Kirk from badguys from the future just like he did in the tv series. I know you'd enjoy that Roller.

I never understood the Star Trek vs Star Wars thing.

Its like being against of Bananas because you like Apples and vice versa. They are both considerably different with the only commonality being that its Sci-Fi and in space.

BTW: Star Trek has been in a steep declined due to bad mismanagement of the franchise in the past decade. Voyager became ridiculously stupid in its latter half and the Next Generation movies (the ones with Patrick Stewart) were pathetically bad minus the first one which was good but far from perfect as it pretty much made the Borg into a 'sexy alien' race.

yeah i agree with Kup

who in their right mind greenlighted Star Trek nemesis?!!!

im sure i could write a better plot, c'mon- a clone of picard living on Romulus for 20yrs, blatant rip off of spocks sacrifice involving Data, whoopi goldberg with a hat?!! need i go on

i like voyager, but i still find it hard to believe they got magiced away and turn a 80yr journey into a comfty 7yr flight and arrive home unscathed.

I still dont understand Endgame, one minute they are about to return to the Delta quadrant, next i see a green torpedo launch, someone says "Where right were we want to be" then explosion, they are home, roll credits.

I hope the new filum doesn't screw up and attracts a decent crowd, but i wont hold my breath

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    I never understood the Star Trek vs Star Wars thing.

Its like being against of Bananas because you like Apples and vice versa. They are both considerably different with the only commonality being that its Sci-Fi and in space.
    It only makes sense for those who have had exposure to predominatly one franchise, those of us who know both fairly well tend to see the upside and downside in both.

In the spirit of co-operation sure wish I'd bought that toy gun shaped like the Millenium Enterpise years back.

i like voyager, but i still find it hard to believe they got magiced away and turn a 80yr journey into a comfty 7yr flight and arrive home unscathed.
    Voyager is one of my least favourte Star Trek series, mainly becuase there was so much rehash, but also becuase of the reasons you point out. It annoys me that Voyager was always perfectly clean and happy even in hostile teritory in the middle of nowhere. it should have been more like the Year of Hell episode. I think the new Battlestar has done a better take on the whole space wanderers thing, I love the way the Galactica just gets more dirty and scarred as the series goes on.

Star Trek Nemesis's only upside was that the movie before was even worse, I mean come on the galactic fountain of youth and face stretchy aliens the only good points that movie had was inflatable Data, and the backdrop of the Dominion War.

So what's the count now 10 Star Trek movies 4 watchable ones, maybe this new movie will make 5?