Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Universe Cyclonus

Default Universe Cyclonus

Cyclonus - Universe

Packaging
    I got mine Mint but loose so unfortunitly I cannot comment on packaging.

Instructions
    The instructions are a folded piece of paper with the usual Decepticon purple theme to them. There is 15 steps in all which are quite easy to follow

NightStick (Target Master)
    As with the original G1 Target Masters, the figure is very small and has a very basic transformation, that only requires 3 steps to complete. The overall look of the figure is very nice, with colours that compliment Cyclonus very well. I think he looks excellent in both robot and gun mode, however with this said, I feel his gun mode looks alot better when being held by Cyclonus rather than mounted in vehicle mode.
    Rating 7/10

Cyclonus - Robot Mode
    I feel this mode is really the highlight of this figure as he looks incredible and does an excellent job of paying homage to Generation 1. There are some small things I feel could be changed to further improve the look of him for example, his legs have two different tones of Grey on them, which looks strange and out of place.
    Rating 9/10

Cyclonus - Alt Mode

His alt mode in my opinion is a big letdown, while it looks ok it just doesn't do it for me. Compared to G1 where he was very sleek looking, he now has a more "boxy" look to him, which becomes even more apparent when his Target Master NightStick is mounted. His legs also do not seem to sit right in this mode and gives the figure a flimsy feel.
    Rating 5/10

Some comparisons with G1 Cyclonus

Overall
    Despite my low opinion of his Jet Mode, I still believe this is one of the best Universe/Classic figures to date. It is a very solid toy, easy to transform and displays great in Robot Mode. I went with the Universe (rather than Henkei) version because I felt the toy accurate colours fit better into my collection.
    Final Rating 7/10

Thanks to jaydisc for the figure
    Last edited by Omega Supreme; 9th February 2009 at 04:42 PM.

I also think the colour scheme of Nightstick hurts b/c its so dark and blends into the figure which makes it look more of a mess.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

Nightstick on the Cyclonus' alt mode just looks awful as pointed out by Omega. The original G1's alt mode cannot be beat, then again the new robot mode is the best action figure in the TF line.

Quote Originally Posted by Stompy View Post
    Nightstick on the Cyclonus' alt mode just looks awful as pointed out by Omega. The original G1's alt mode cannot be beat, then again the new robot mode is the best action figure in the TF line.
    Whoa, them bold words! Even better than Henkei Prime? Or Hound? Hound is definitely one of this year's highlights.
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs

That's just with my tastes STL. I just think that Cyclonus' bot mode is a perfect action figure. No backpack, no kibble, very little sign of it transforming. Well articulated and balanced and just feels right. It's something that shouldn't transform, but it does. I love it.

Hound is an incredible figure, definately the highlight of the Universe line. Kibble free alt mode and a really awesome robot mode. Plus comes with my favorite decepticon as well. Definately up there in my top 10 for this year.

Henkei/Classics Prime... the bumper and front wheel on his back in alt mode. Plus the horrendous kibble on his forearms really REALLY spoiled the figure for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Stompy View Post
    That's just with my tastes STL. I just think that Cyclonus' bot mode is a perfect action figure. No backpack, no kibble, very little sign of it transforming. Well articulated and balanced and just feels right. It's something that shouldn't transform, but it does. I love it.
    I see, I see. Makes a lot of sense now. He is indeed very complete from all angles unlike others that have obvious gaps in the back or legs. Excellent observation

That jet mode doth look disappointing. Any chance you could bring this toy along on Sunday for us to have a look-see?

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    That jet mode doth look disappointing. Any chance you could bring this toy along on Sunday for us to have a look-see?
    Yep no drama's.

Nice review, Omega!

I like the look of the jet mode but it does seem that artistically, they have gone with a lot of molded detailing which kind of changes the feel that the G1 jet mode had.

have you tried fitting Universe Nightstick into G1 Cyclonus's hand?