Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Goktimus' thoughts on Beast Wars vs Animated

Default Goktimus' thoughts on Beast Wars vs Animated

From here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ode to a Grasshopper
    Quote Originally Posted by Goktimus Prime
    Beast Wars is the best TF TV series IMO. Animated doesn't hold a candle to Beast Wars. *nods*
    I can see why you'd feel that way, but I prefer Animated.
    May I ask why?

I'm not saying that you're not entitled to prefer Animated over Beast Wars, of course you are - but I'd like to know why you feel that way.

My reasons for preferring Beast Wars over Animated include:

1.Not Just For Kids

One of the reasons why I consider Beast Wars to be the best Transformers TV series is because it's written to appeal to both children and adults at the same time. I remember reading an interview with the show's producer published around 1996/7 and he said that Mainframe had realised that by the mid-1990s a lot of kids who grew up with Transformers during the 1980s would be in their late teens and 20s, meaning that they had a core fandom of young adults that they wanted to appeal to. And in 1997 we adult fans were a much smaller community compared to today - we probably constituted less than 5-10% of people who bought Transformer toys with the rest of them being for children of course. But in spite of this Mainframe still made the conscious decision to give the show dual appeal to both kids and adults. They actively sought out Transformer fans on the internet, primarily on the ATT newsgroup and forged connections with fans -- the show itself is littered with Transfan references as a tribute.

Beast Wars was the first time that we saw Transformer characters in a TV series which had depth. G1 cartoon Transformers were essentially shallow one-dimensional archetypes. Beast Wars consciously worked on creating character development. Let's compare Cheetor and Bumblebee as they're similar characters: throughout the Beast Wars and Beast Machines we actually get to see him mature from a boy into a man. I'm not seeing this in Animated Bumblebee. At the beginning of Season 1 I found Bumblebee to be egocentric and conceited - a selfish brat really. By the end of Season 2, what's changed? Not much really... he's still desperately seeking to prove himself. (-_-) Now sure, Cheetor also started off being impulsive and rash and throughout the Beast Wars he really wanted to prove himself to the other Maximals... but we saw an evolution in his character... as the series progressed we see Cheetor change in his outlook and approach. The desperation and impulsiveness was still there, but it changed. It matured. And by time he returned to Cybertron, he had outgrown it. I'm just not seeing this progression in Bumblebee's character.

2. A Whole New World

Beast Wars gave us a whole fresh new twist on Transformers and as discussed here it's the closest thing that's ever come to "dethroning" G1. Animated on the other hand is essentially a new take on G1 - and while it is a good upgrade in several places, it's not quite as audacious as Beast Wars. Animated is fundamentally still sticking with the "tried and true" formula of cars and planes, Autobots and Decepticons, whereas Beast Wars took a bold leap in taking Transformers into 'undiscovered country.' As discussed in the "G1 dethroning" thread, although G1 did have animal modes none of them were true realistic organic beast modes. The Pretender Beasts' shells came close, but those aren't alt modes.

I find the animation and visual effects in Animated to be fairly standard by 2008 standards. Technically it's not bad, although there were some stylistic choices I didn't like, such as the "Tazzie Devil whirlwind transformation," but to Animated's credit they did get rid of that in later episodes and went back to properly animating transformations. Beast Wars' CGI animation was excellent by 1997 standards, with Season 2 winning an Emmy Award for best visual effects in an animated television series in 1998. Much like the toyline, the animation was pushing boundaries. The animation and visual effects in Beast Machines was just spectacular... I don't like the story as much as Beast Wars, but in terms of animation and effects I prefer Beast Machines.

3. Toys

Animated is notorious riddled with QC problems and design flaws. By 2008 standards I find the overall design and quality of Animated toys to be fairly ordinary. There's no need for Bumblebee to have two entirely different shades of yellow or for Voyager Starscream to have those useless back panels - and you all know the bane of my existence that is Blitzwing. (-_-) Compared to recent TF lines like Cybertron, the movie line and Classics/Universe/Henkei, Animated just seems... okay. Not bad but not fantastic by comparison either. By mid-1990s standards Beast Wars was awesome and showed a distinct progression from improvements made during late G2. By the end of Generation 2 we saw HasTak introducing articulated robot modes including the use of ball-and-socket joints to provide natural movement. Beast Wars then gave us improved durability, highly detailed sculpting and paint apps (making stickers a laughable joke of the past) and self-contained accessories (a concept originally conceived for G2 but abandoned and later revived for Beast Wars/Machine Wars). Gestalts had self-contained gestalt parts.

Electronic gimmicks were a rarity with boxed toys, and even then, it didn't dominate those figures. The majority of boxed toys didn't have electronic bells and whistles and rather focused on just being good Transformer action figures (and cheaper too). Having said that, this isn't purely an issue with Animated - it's something that Hasbro has developed since Armada - that somehow every boxed toy needs to have electronics. (-_-)

Speaking of money, Beast Wars was also cheaper to collect as an entire line. The majority of figures were carded Basics and Deluxes. Boxed figures (Megas, Ultras and Optimal Optimus (Super)) were a minority. And boxed figures that appeared in the show would be awesomely cool - e.g.: Rampage, Protoform X soul-less hard-bottom villain, compared to say Bulkhead, who's a Leader Class clown (I'm so glad I got him during a sale). (-_-) Also, the fact that they didn't have so many different versions of the same character meant that their boxed characters didn't shelf-warm as long. It seems that boxed Animated figures are shelf-warming much more than carded ones. I'm hearing reports about Activators flying off shelves while Leaders are just gathering dust. There's like a truck load of Ultra Magnuses/Magni at my local TRU. I think the majority of parents would rather buy their child a cheaper carded version of the same character instead of a more expensive boxed one. Now to be fair, this isn't a problem that is exclusive to Animated - I think it's something that started from Armada, but Animated is effected as a result.

--------------------------

Now none of this is to say that I necessarily dislike Animated or think that it's terrible - I actually do like the show and toyline. But I prefer Beast Wars in comparison.

in regards to Quality Control

20 years ago they could afford chrome and release figures that did not have wet paint

has Hasbro lost alot of money in 20yrs? I would have thought automation and stuff would have cut costs over the last 20 yrs so they would have more money to splash on chrome etc.

do other Hasbro toy lines suffer such bad QC?

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    My reasons for preferring Beast Wars over Animated include:

1.Not Just For Kids
    Um... Gok... I'm not a kid and I love Animated.

2. A Whole New World
    Fair point. Beast Wars is amazing in that it created entirely new characters in a new situation and yet it was still firmly ensconced in G1 continuity. On the other hand, in my opinion, Animated's G1 revivalist style is leagues better than the G1 cartoon that it's "essentially a new take on". It has solid story arcs, a coherent universe created by Isenberg and Wyatt and a small, strong focal group of core characters who have more personality and more development than the Season 1-2 G1 cartoon characters got at the time. Plus there are character types that have never been done that well before. Bulkhead is the best and most original new character type since I-don't-remember-when. Blitzwing is a more endearing multiple personality than Galvatron, Punch/Counterpunch or Savage/Noble. And Sentinel Prime is an Autobot jerk in ways that Huffer, Gears, Sideswipe and Rattrap never were.

3. Toys
    Animated got more votes than Beast Wars in the favourite-all-time-toy-series category in this year's Ozformers awards. Beast Wars had some good toys and was progressive for its time, particularly in the beginning - the first two years of toys were amazing and new. Ultra Optimus Primal, Magnaboss, original Tarantulas/Blackarachnia - all highlights. But from the advent of Transmetals and Fuzors, the line went downhill fast. Transmetal Cheetor, Transmetal 2 Jawbreaker, Cybershark, Iguanus - these are just some of the worst Transformers toys of all time from the latter end of Beast Wars. Yes, Animated Blitzwing was an ambitious failure. But so many Animated toys - Voyager and Leader Bulkhead, Cybertron Mode Optimus Prime, Lugnut! These achieve levels of awesomeness seen in few other Transformers over the past twenty-five years.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow
    Um... Gok... I'm not a kid and I love Animated.
    I like Animated too, but I just find that the show doesn't attempt to appeal to me as an adult as much as Beast Wars did. IMHO there's a lack of substantial character development and episodes that deal with deep issues like Transmutate (right to life/abortion) and Code of Hero (bravery/cowardice, suicide). There's a also a lack of character depth too IMO. Sentinel Prime just seems like a jerk because he just is... like a shallow one-dimensional high-school jock archetype. Depth Charge is a jerk too, but we know why... the guy's got issues up the wa-hoo with deep-running psychological/emotional scars that can never heal.

I have a love/hate view of Bulkhead... on one hand I really want to like this character - but Animated writers just don't want to develop his character any deeper than being a big dumb brute. (-_-)

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow
    Plus there are character types that have never been done that well before. Bulkhead is the best and most original new character type since I-don't-remember-when. Blitzwing is a more endearing multiple personality than Galvatron, Punch/Counterpunch or Savage/Noble. And Sentinel Prime is an Autobot jerk in ways that Huffer, Gears, Sideswipe and Rattrap never were.
    As I said, I'm sorely disappointed with Bulkhead. I so wanted him to be more than meets the eye, but so far he's been pretty much "what you see is what you get." And big dumb lumbering brutes is nothing new, the G1 cartoon Dinobots and Trypticon were pretty much like that. I think Punch/Counterpunch suffers from the same thing that G1 Thundercracker did - a character with underused potential. :/ G1 'toon Galvatron was a 'tard-monkey so yeah, I won't argue about him.

I personally can't compare Noble/Savage with Blitzwing because Noble/Savage is at best only semi-sentient. In terms of Transformers with multiple personalities my favourite would be Car Robot's Gigatron who had 10 different personalities and voice characterisations in his different modes (e.g.: Gigabat = jerk/bully, Gigadragon = menacing/monsterous tyrant etc.). The RiD dub didn't carry this over unfortunately.

And I don't object with Sentinel Prime being a jerk per se... it's just that there's nothing more to him. As I said before, Depth Charge was a jerk but Beast Wars clearly explained that he's a tormented soul. Yeah, it is cool that we have an Autobot who's basically a bad guy in some ways and gives other Autobots (particularly Optimus Prime) a good basis to interact off (e.g.: forcing him to become more assertive). But Sentinel just seems like a shallow "jock" archetype to me.

I love both shows, and hold them in high regards. But I just can't compare or decide which one I like more.

Toy line as a whole, I prefer Animated over Beast Wars. Don't get me wrong though, BW had some of the best engineering ever! But, there were many many toys/characters that never appeared in the show. Some of these only got "retconned" into comics/stories many years later. Animated on the other hand, is the first ever cartoon based toy line that I have a STRONG desire to collect them all, and have done so minus the repaints, which are very few compared to say the Movie line. (I do have all of the seeker repaints and Cliffjumper though, repaints that make sense to me.) Each toy just screams character. You can pretty much hear the character's voice in your head the moment you lay eyes on a toy. I'll actually go as far as saying I like Animated toys more than I like Henkei/Classics. I know it's very strange for me to say I enjoy Animated toys much more than I enjoy Henkei/Classic. QC problems aside (I haven't really experienced these myself), the only big problem is scale. The toy line would be pretty much perfect if they fix the scale.

Just reiterating that I don't think that Animated is a terrible line/show that is without merit. I do think Animated has several good things going for it and Beast Wars isn't perfect either. But on the whole when I weigh up what I like and dislike between the two of them, I would have to say that I prefer Beast Wars over Animated.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle
    But, there were many many toys/characters that never appeared in the show. Some of these only got "retconned" into comics/stories many years later.
    Yeah but that's not the toyline's fault since the toys came first. It is true that only a small handful of BW toys ever appeared in the show but that's because computer animation is very, very expensive - much more so than cel animation. But what the Canadian BW TV series may have lacked in quantity it more than compensated for with quality. Compare this with Beast Wars II, the Beast Wars movie and Beast Wars Neo - these featured all the toys but the animation/visual effects and writing are nowhere near as good as the Canadian series... especially BWII, I found the animation on that show to be quite poor by 1998 Japanese animé standards. The movie's animation was quite good though (it would've had a bigger budget and is animating less air time though - storywise it was fairly mediocre). The animation in BW Neo was better but lazy - I didn't like how they reused the same stock footage for every transformation in a big "song and dance show." (-_-) I've never liked over-done transformation sequences unless it's for a gestalt (even then you eventually get tired of it). The writing was pretty boring for the most part until the Unicron-arc at the end. I find the pre-Blentron eps to be quite dull.

So the core question is really which do you prefer between the two: Beast Wars or Animated?

I know you hold them both in equal regard Kyle, but I'd like to hear from others and why they have their preferences.

i tired to watch beast wars but couldnt really get into it and have no desire to really collect the toys, on the other hand loved animated and want to colect all the toys.

Also, the fact that they didn't have so many different versions of the same character meant that their boxed characters didn't shelf-warm as long.
    Bwahahaha! I just reread this. Um... <cough>Transmetal Scavenger</cough>. He's probably still sitting on a David Jones shelf somewhere.

Yeah but that's not the toyline's fault since the toys came first. It is true that only a small handful of BW toys ever appeared in the show but that's because computer animation is very, very expensive - much more so than cel animation.
    There is an apple and there is an orange. I prefer apple. And I already know it is not the orange's fault that it is not born an apple. But I still like the apple more.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    Bwahahaha! I just reread this. Um... <cough>Transmetal Scavenger</cough>. He's probably still sitting on a David Jones shelf somewhere.
    Spread some jam or honey on the ground outside, give it 5 mins you there'll be 5 scavengers for every ant that shows