Thread: Opening Toys from the Collection

Default Opening Toys from the Collection

Over the years I have collected quite a few toys that I am now in the process of selling off as I refocus the collection. During that time I have collected a few toys that I wouldn't mind opening, but never did as I couldn't afford to get a second or talked myself out of it.

However now that I am selling, I am thinking - should I open rather than sell?

What are your thoughts?
    Some examples of items I want to open are Micron Legend Jetfire, Superlink Grand Convoy (pitty I sold Wing Saber), Galaxy Force Master Galvatron, BW II Magnaboss.

Cheers

Open. You spent that much money on them, you might as well use them!

In the words of Ultra Magnus - "Open, dammit, open."

or you could open the ones you have always wanted to open see how much you like it, and then if you dont like it sell it anyway.

Dude, open them. Like, right now. If you've never had any experience with them outside of looking at the pretty box, how will you know what you'd miss out on if you just sold them off?

I wonder Zippo, are these toys you have other opened versions of? Armada Jetfire, Energon Prime, Cybertron Galvatron, Beast Wars Magnaboss? I find it very easy to keep repaints unopened because I already know what the toy is like and how to transform it that it's a bit boring to open another version of the same toy.

OPEN OPEN OPEN

...just my opinion :P

I think if u open them carefully, u can easily return them to near MISB status. I used to do it for Cybertron for example but then when I got Galaxy Force, I just tore those boxes up and didn't give a 2nd thought.

I also collect doubles for a secondary reason as well which is so that I can savage the first packaging whilst caring only for the 2nd.

So yes, I think u should experience the toys. There is not a toy I have that I have not experienced. Its part of the allure of TFs and I think u can't miss out on that.

The only problem with opening carefully is it might take u 15 minutes to do it without snipping twist ties or cutting plastic packaging or leavign tear marks. That's a lot of time and can be pretty darned tedious.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

Quote Originally Posted by STL View Post
    ...I also collect doubles for a secondary reason as well which is so that I can savage the first packaging whilst caring only for the 2nd.

So yes, I think u should experience the toys. There is not a toy I have that I have not experienced. Its part of the allure of TFs and I think u can't miss out on that.
    I agree STL, but I open doubles. A paint job can have a big difference on the experience with a mould. And sometimes it is fun to experience with more than one toy at a time.

"I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

Quote Originally Posted by Deonasis View Post
    I agree STL, but I open doubles. A paint job can have a big difference on the experience with a mould. And sometimes it is fun to experience with more than one toy at a time.

Definitely. Ur not alone there. Some of my favourite toys I love having two of because I can have them one in alt mode and one in robot mode. Another thing if u like a figure enough is u can set them up in a row where it looks like they're transforming. I was inspired to do this by Easy D I think it was when he posted pics of transforming TFM BB08. And then I did it to my favourite 2007 mold, TFM Ironhide.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

I have noticed that I am not an operer by nature. If the toy is over a year old, I probably will struggle to actually open it even if I brought it for the purpose of opening. Others however I will open like I was a kid getting my first toy for Xmas.

I have BW Magnaboss somewhere MIB, but the II version looks so much better, while the others are items that I wanted to open and never got doubles off. The only one I have played with before is ML Jetfire, and again the ML version looks way better than the Armada one.