Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: All Hail Megatron Issues 7 to 12

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    Issue #13: Hunter wakes up. "Wow! I had the weirdest, vivid dream while I was recovering from being separated from Sunstreaker. So, what are those pesky Decepticons from the dead universe doing now?"
    lol

Kind of like a 12 issue long Spotlight: Mirage

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    lol

Kind of like a 12 issue long Spotlight: Mirage
    That would improve AHM one hell of a lot.

Furman is not penning the Coda by himself, only contributing to it. The Coda will be two stories an issue (like the TFA and UK comics) with multiple writers, including McCarthy too.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Well I read Issue 11 of The Ultimate Do... I mean AHM.

And I'm afraid I was completely underwhelmed, for the most part I found the issue reads as trite as the G1 cartoon.

Spoilers:
    While a lot of space is dedicated to those big battle scenes. I found them rather cartoony and impotent. Sure it evokes the classic toon with the big guys duking it out and Blaster all smiles, and Cliffjumper laughing it up. But there's no thrill for me, not for a moment do I believe any of the Autobots or even the main crew of humans for that matter are in any jeopardy. While Megatrons chat with Starscream was interesting, and there was a nice non Geewun cameo there not enough to save this issue for me. The epic battles in the Dreamwave comic and IDW's -ation series stomp all over this port from the cartoon as far as I'm concerned.

So as the penultimate issue of AHM I'm rather dissapointed, as has been said before this series seems to be on rails following a predictable course, and its starting to feel like a modern rehash of The Ultimate Doom to me, sure its a little darker a bit meaner but the concept is the same. Autobots get ejected from earth and get all unhappy, Megatron takes over earth, Autobots come back and exchange pointblank laser fire with Decepticons, thanks to some plucky humans the Decepticons plan is undone they retreat and someone makes a terrible joke, hahaha the end.

I know I should lighten up and try and be less critical, but after waiting 10 issues this is just sooooo disapointing. ofcoures it could all change in the next issue which could perhaps redeem issue 11, but my hopes are dashed.

I agree, the non Geewun cameo was very nice.

So do we think the other Decepticon who made their debut in this issue could be Octane? (the non CD Scattorshot repaint)

Was not a fan of this issue at all, the Megatron Screamer talk was fantastic, but otherwise this issue was the pits. I'd be far more forgiving had this been issue 6 or 7 like it really should have been, but there is just too much to do in issue #12, I know Furman often left too much to do in the last issue, but often he was working with 4 issue series not 12 like McCarthy was given.

And the art was okay, but then the new artist came in about 1/3 of the way in the issue and the different art style was too jarring for me.

Not a series that will read well in trade format either, it'll just highlight the terrible pacing. Lets get issue #12 over and done with so we can move on and get back to writers who have an inkling of what a plot is.

If Issue #12 ends with the Autobots laughing at a joke of Spikes regarding button up flies, I will not be a happy chappy.

If McCarthy is to be commended on one thing regarding AHM, it should be the con job he pulled on IDW for convincing them to let him write this series.
    Last edited by i_amtrunks; 25th May 2009 at 03:07 PM.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Interestingly the review on TFormers is ladden with praise describing this issues as one of the best Transformer comics ever. http://tformers.com/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=1029

I wish I could see what he sees.

While I enjoyed Megs and Starscreams little chat, it seems at odds with the early issues of AHM where both characters are there straight cartoon selves. In issue #11 Megatron is a calculating and cunning strategist, but in issue #1 he's a destruction hungrly megalomaniac. Perhaps Megatron has a bit of G2 Jihaxus's rage issues?

Also why does Prime order Omega out of the city, when its effectively abbandoned?

...does Prime know how abandoned it is? He just arrived on the scene.

Overall I found the story wasn't that much better or worse than the rest of AHM - so by AHM standards it was okay. The conversation between Megatron and Starscream was the highpoint, everything else was like... yeah. :/ It's better writing than the G1 cartoon, but by TF comics standard it's fairly ordinary. (-_-)

Like most others I found the Megatron/Starscream chat to be great but there is something I don't get.

Spoilers:

The convo between Megs & Starscream was long overdue, but what I don't understand is to me it felt like Megatron needed Starscream on his side purely to get the Decepticons into action, as if Megs was unable to do it himself, which to me made no sense. Right after their little chat Starscream was the one who gave all the orders and Megatron is unseen until Roadbuster puts Astrotrain through the wall and lands near him.
    What is Megatron doing in this time ?
    And why is Starscream giving out the orders ?, Is Megatron's commlink busted or something ?

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    ...does Prime know how abandoned it is? He just arrived on the scene.
    Depends on how advanced Omega's sensors are I guess. At least moving out into the open will make both Transformers easier for the UN forces to shoot.

Regarding Omega's Spoilers: Starscream giving orders, Isn't that just cause Megatron has decided that he is his eventual successor?

WARNING: #11 SPOILERS AND STUFF.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    And why is Starscream giving out the orders ?, Is Megatron's commlink busted or something ?
    I assumed that was because the Decepticons were divided last issue between Starscream's troops and Megatron's. Thus, Starscream was presenting a united front against the Autobots, leading up to his unsarcastic "all hail Megatron". Also, this Megatron doesn't seem to like to get his 'hands' dirty with explicit command - he's very Beast Wars Megatron, just playing with his pawns behind the scenes. I thought the Starscream and Megatron scenes were actually the strong bits this issue. With the exception of them and the final page (Octane?), everything else was awful. Unlike others, I absolutely hated the non-G1/G2 cameo. They could have used any one of countless appropriate obscurish tanklike Decepticons from the 80s or 90s for this and I would have been delighted. Instead it was Universe Decepticon Dropshot. Huh? Are we trying to sell new toys again or something? And I can't even imagine that it's meant to be a reformatted Micromaster Dropshot. Plus, unless the last issue has some great revelation, it looks like this is actually Optimus Prime rather than a facsimile construct/hologram/anything that might make his sudden repair make sense. How disappointing. And the art was sketchy too - Guidi must have either been in a rush or he needs an inker. I really hope the last issue picks up - the second TPB was off to such a great start but it's swiftly going downhill.