Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lost Molds?

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    And there have been numerous times when reissues have even shelf-warmed. A classic example was God Ginrai... I don't know about Toowoomba, but here in Sydney that toy shelfwarmed really badly at import stores. At the end prices were slashed to $20 in an effort to clear dead stock!
    Wow, when was this roughly (year)? I wouldnt have mind to buy extra's of God Ginrai! mebbe 2-4 more just to keep for future gifts!
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

And there have been reports of Encore Omega Supreme and Metroplex shelf-warming too.
    Aww... those guys deserve as much love as the next Transformer.

Quote Originally Posted by liegeprime
    Wow, when was this roughly (year)? I wouldnt have mind to buy extra's of God Ginrai! mebbe 2-4 more just to keep for future gifts!
    God Ginrai came out in 2001 and by 2002-03 they'd slashed the prices down to $20 a pop. And even at that super-cheap price they still shelfwarmed!! It was like they could not even give God Ginrai away!

Quote Originally Posted by Adzma
    Aww... those guys deserve as much love as the next Transformer.
    Yeah, but they're expensive... meaning that a lot of people wouldn't get them if they didn't really need too. I know that was the case with me and Omega Supreme... sure, the new face was nice, but after kup helped me fix my original G1 Omega Supreme* I just didn't have the urge to go splash out on getting a reissue. I got Metroplex because my original Metroplex is missing his missiles and Scamper's gun - and the pure chrome and rubber tyres helped too. I did get Gadep ("Omega Sentinel") so I do own a version of the reissue Omega Supreme mould. And even just getting Metroplex and Gadep was really really expensive for me! I'm glad I didn't get Encore Omega Supreme - there's just no way I could've afforded it.

I generally only get reissues if my original G1 version is significantly incomplete or damaged, or if I don't already have the toy... which is uncommon, it's usually the former.

With the Aussie Dollar at its current rate I'm severely cutting back on my imports too.

P.S.: One neat thing about getting reissues (and variants in general) is that it allows me to have "doubles" and make neat shots like these:

<-3rd panel, I used my original & Encore Ironhide to create 'transformation'

<-used my original & TFC Hot Rod for montage and transformation effects

<-used original & reissue Shrapnel and original metal, plastic & reissue Kup for montage and transformation

<-look at Autobot City, it's my original and Encore Metroplexi back to back! Here's a close up.

---------------------------
    *kup fixed my G1 Omega Supreme's motor using nothing more than glue and sandpaper! He is like freakin' MacGuyver when it comes to fixing TFs!! Thanks kup!!!
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 8th March 2009 at 06:43 PM.

With the Aussie Dollar at its current rate I'm severely cutting back on my imports too.
    Yeah I've been trying to import as much goods as possible from the UK as our dollar hasn't fluctuated with GBP so much as the US dollar.

I get the feeling that the original Dinobot mold is likely to be broken. Why? Look at how many repaints it got!

In no particular order:

-First, Dinobot.
    -Grimlock
    -Dinobot Grimlock
    -Fox Kids!Dinobot
    -10th Anniversary Dinobot
    -Telemocha Dinobot
    -Remolded into Hardhead...
    -...who was then redecoed as Dinotron.

So that's EIGHT uses of the mold. It's probably a pile of dust by now.

Considering I have four different versions of the Dinobot mould, I can't say I really care. With two reissues in recent years there's no excuse for anyone who wants a Dinobot toy to not have one by now. It's an entirely different story from say G1 Mirage who's never been reissued ever.

It would be really cool if TakaraTomy decided to set up a lost mould recovery program where fans can vote for their most desired mould to be repaired, and once a candidate has been chosen, TakTom open up donations where by we as fans can fork over our hard earned cash to return Mirage, Wheeljack, the Dinobots etc. to the land of the living! It saves TakTom from the monetary issues and the fans get their moulds back. Think about, for all intents and purposes lets assume there are 10,000 fans worldwide and they each donate $1 USD, that's $10,000 right there.

I find this whole lost/destroyed/stolen mold thing to be quite interesting. I don't know how much it would cost to build new molds, but surely it would be profitable to reissue the 5 G1 dinobots? I would imagine that these would be snapped up faster then they could roll off the production line... regardless of RRP!
    But part of me also likes the fact that the G1 Dinos will never be remade. All that exist in the world right now, will be all that will ever exist. (As owner of all 5, is that elitist of me?) Kind of makes them a bit special. IMHO.

Mind you, I would really like to own a G1 Mirage again...
    TF Figs of 2023:
    1) WnR Springer
    2) Legacy Bludgeon
    3) Legacy Leo Prime/Nemesis Leo Prime.

klystron, I guess it comes down to how many ways you can redo the mould. Prime is being reissued over and over, so TT have no trouble recovering the costs there.

Some toys like (say) Prowl have repaint potential as Bluestreak and Smokescreen.

I'm not sure how they'd convince us to all buy three repaints of Snarl. As awesome as they may be, I can't say I'd grab repaints of the Dinobots. Yes, there are the Diaclone colours, but for every fan who buys the blue-chested Swoop, there'll be 8 who are happy with only the red one.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

Quote Originally Posted by dirge View Post
    klystron, I guess it comes down to how many ways you can redo the mould.

Some toys like (say) Prowl have repaint potential as Bluestreak and Smokescreen.

I'm not sure how they'd convince us to all buy three repaints of Snarl. As awesome as they may be, I can't say I'd grab repaints of the Dinobots. Yes, there are the Diaclone colours, but for every fan who buys the blue-chested Swoop, there'll be 8 who are happy with only the red one.
    Plus the Dinobots aren't as popular in Japan as they are in Western countries which is something TakTom would take into consideration.